Rand Paul is not a certified Doctor

I think you're confusing Ron Paul supporters with some other group that thinks those "issues" are relevant.

Not here in KY. TYhe Rand Paul supporters are mostly ex 2X Bush voters.
Remember the thread is about Rand Paul. I know it is easy to get confused in political dynasties.

I live here, I know.

KY tea Partiers are virtually all ex Bush supporters.

No, I got confused because you referenced "Paulists" complaining about the lack of military background of Hillary and Obama, and since that took place in the context of a discussion regarding an election I assumed you meant those claims were made by Ron Paul supporters about Hillary and Obama during the Presidential campaign. And since bringing up that non-issue about Hillary or Obama at this point in time really makes no sense.

Yes a non issue, until the next election anyway :)

The NBO requires recertification. What Rand was against was the fact that the ABO didn't require recertification for older doctors but did for younger doctors.

It's possible older doctors may not continue to practice for another 10 years. Plus, experience and maturity comes with age. Younger doctors become older and people who have "continuous improvement" ingrained usually continue to improve on their own.

I think following up on younger doctors is an excellent idea.

Who cares if they're not going to practice for another 10 years? Why should you automatically get certified just because of your age?

agreed on you man...

I would make that distinction.

When Dr. Clarkson was certified he had no control over the process. I see nothing wrong with him becoming the President of the organization at a later date. I would suspect that whoever was the President would be certified.

I would expect Dr. Rand to be certified by his own board, in fact, I would find it odd if he was not. However, having control of such an organization requires extra scrutiny to make certain that all your I's are dotted and all your T's are crossed. As long as Dr. Rand has met the qualifications of the board at the same standards as all others who are certified from the board there is no problem at all.

As Cecilie has stated above none of this has anything at all to do with the job he is being "interviewed" for. One last thing, he is licensed by the state. One would be led to believe that as long as he is licensed he is qualified to do the job of the profession that he is in. Qualified and competent to do so.

Immie

Not only is he duly licensed to practice by his state, but no one has yet alleged that there have been any complaints against him made to the state medical board, or censures issued by them. As far as I'm concerned, that closes the conversation . . . particularly when conversing about "character" with people who wouldn't recognize it if it crawled up their pants leg.

I thought about suggesting that those who were so convinced that his character was in question because of this should look up to see if there had been any complaints against him. I chose not to because I figured it wouldn't do any good.

No evidence except for human nature.

Immie

And yet it's clear from the fact that he had been certified by the ABO in the past, that him being unable to become re-certified unlikely.

Yes, I agree with this, that was why the thought was only in the back of my mind. When this thread started, I had no problem at all about the fact that he was certified by the NBO and not the ABO. Then I went to find what the difference in the certifications were if any and could not find a website for the NBO. Not having a website is not proof of it not being a reputable organization, but I would think an organization that large (seemingly so) would have one, if for no other reason than that patients would be able to find certified doctors in their field.

The fact that I searched through 10 pages on the Yahoo Search Engine and the only references I could find about it were from Ophthalmologists who said they had never heard about it, or copies of the article from the OP, set read flags off in my head. No one in the profession has heard of it? That is hard to believe anyway, none of that is proof of any wrongdoing, just suspicious.

Immie

Actually, I found several websites for ophthalmologists who have not only heard of it, but been certified by it. And I'm not sure you could find the website for it even if it had one, because of the need to dig through so many people busily crowing about this as though it means something.

No, I am not, but I will admit to that having been in the back of my mind.

Immie

The OP's article made it clear why Paul chose to start his own group, and it had nothing to do with any problems getting himself certification with the ABO. Even his opponents haven't dared to imply that (because they know they would be opening themselves up to a libel suit, and rightly so), but they would just LOVE it if people would infer that from their stomping and screaming about absolutely nothing.

The OP gave Paul's reasons for choosing to start his own group. Which may or may not be factual. Do you think Paul would tell us if he was denied certification because he had failed a written exam, or failed to maintain continuing ed standards? I doubt it.

One must decide whether or not he is trustworthy. I stated it was in the back of my mind. That simply means that I accept his statements, but leave room for further information.

Immie

I think the American Board of Ophthalmologists would have told someone if they refused to certify him, as opposed to him choosing not to be certified through them.

Moreover, he wouldn't retain his LICENSE, the paperwork that actually means something in medical practice, if he wasn't up to snuff.

Actually, I found several websites for ophthalmologists who have not only heard of it, but been certified by it. And I'm not sure you could find the website for it even if it had one, because of the need to dig through so many people busily crowing about this as though it means something.
Good point, Cecille
:clap2:

All the discussions and articles about it would bury it quite deep.
Can you forward me a link?

Good point, Cecille

For what? Doctors certified with the NBO? Just look up "National Board of Ophthalmology" and check through the responses. There are two or three web pages for doctors on the first page of responses.

Good point, Cecille

For what? Doctors certified with the NBO? Just look up "National Board of Ophthalmology" and check through the responses. There are two or three web pages for doctors on the first page of responses.
No there aren't.

I did find this factoid.

According to records with the Kentucky Secretary of State, the organization [NBO] was first incorporated in Kentucky in 1999. On records in that office, Paul is listed as “owner/president” on some forms and “president” on others.
Asked what requirements the National Board of Ophthalmology has for recertifying doctors, Paul’s wife, Kelley, who is listed on forms as the group’s vice president, said: “I’m not involved in that. I’m not officially talking about that today.”

Good point, Cecille

No there aren't.

I did find this factoid.

According to records with the Kentucky Secretary of State, the organization [NBO] was first incorporated in Kentucky in 1999. On records in that office, Paul is listed as “owner/president” on some forms and “president” on others.
Asked what requirements the National Board of Ophthalmology has for recertifying doctors, Paul’s wife, Kelley, who is listed on forms as the group’s vice president, said: “I’m not involved in that. I’m not officially talking about that today.”

I have no idea what's wrong with your search engine usage abilities, let alone why you felt that quoting some unnamed news article somewhere would be of any interest to anyone. Since you seem unable to conduct a simple Internet search, I did it for you, and these are the doctors registered with the NBO that I found on my first search page:

Home
San Diego Eye Laser, LASIK, Custom LASIK, Intralase, Juvederm, Botox, Radiesse

I also found this editorial in a magazine, "Ophthalmology Management", concerning the NBO and another start-up union created to protest the same policy.

Ophthalmology Management

I should point out that every time I perform this search, the listings for anything BUT people getting their panties in a ruffle over Rand Paul get pushed farther and farther back.

He should try to get on "Dr. CHIP'S" staff!!!!!!!

490.gif
528.gif

Forum List

Back