Rand Paul, enemy of socialized medicine, will go to Canada for surgery

What’s hypocritical about it?
Read the "Geography" on the right side of the page. It is public funded

Shouldice Hernia Centre - Wikipedia
Find one hospital in the US that isn’t funded or subsidized in some way by Taxpayers.
Exactly, but that isn't the point. Many on this thread are proposing that the hospital is strictly private, which is not true. Canadians go there on the government-paid plan. Paying customers like Paul don't seem to have the long waiting periods Republican knuckle-biters claim about the Canadian system. Had Paul never spoken so anti-universal healthcare, his repair would probably go un-noticed. Everybody wants the best. Too bad Paul thinks he has to go to Canada to get it.

Find one hospital in the US that isn’t funded or subsidized in some way by Taxpayers.
Exactly, but that isn't the point. Many on this thread are proposing that the hospital is strictly private, which is not true. Canadians go there on the government-paid plan. Paying customers like Paul don't seem to have the long waiting periods Republican knuckle-biters claim about the Canadian system. Had Paul never spoken so anti-universal healthcare, his repair would probably go un-noticed. Everybody wants the best. Too bad Paul thinks he has to go to Canada to get it.
Communications director Kelsey Cooper called Shouldice Hernia Hospital “a private, world renowned hospital separate from any system and people come from around the world to pay cash for their services.”

Why do I have a feeling those lines were added in the last few hours or so.....
Because you are a die-hard conspiracy theorist.

No, because partisan Wikipedia editing of political topics is a well know phenomenon.

Also, the assertions have no references, usually another give away.

No, because partisan Wikipedia editing of political topics is a well know phenomenon.
Marty, in what way is WIKI partisan? Incomplete and iffy sometimes, but partisan" Which way" And do you think Shouldice would allow a published lie about its services? If you have to work this hard to shape this data into something acceptable to you that favors Paul, I am sorry for you.

Marty, in what way is WIKI partisan? Incomplete and iffy sometimes, but partisan" Which way" And do you think Shouldice would allow a published lie about its services? If you have to work this hard to shape this data into something acceptable to you that favors Paul, I am sorry for you.

The website itself isn't the issue, it's partisan hacks going into articles soon after something becomes newsworthy and messing with them. It's why Wikipedia has to lock certain articles if the topic is controversial.

Just look at the talk page for something that is heavily argued and you will see the infighting going on.

In this case with regards to"publicly funded" that information was added just today, with no references. It was also the first edit since May 2018.

Shouldice Hernia Centre: Revision history - Wikipedia

It receives some public funding, but it is not 100% publicly funded. In any case, it doesn't matter because Paul is paying out of pocket. If he was using Canadian tax dollars to fund his surgery then you'd have a point.
Taz, I didn't make myself clear. Who pays is not the point IMHO. My point is that the hospital is NOT an exclusively private facility as was put out by Paul's office manager Cooper to explain his preference. (Maybe that's why the correction suddenly appeared, as Marty points out) My point is that Paul's scorn for the Canadian system is blown to hell by his choice of a Canadian Specialty Center. It may be the world's best, but it also caters to any Canadian that comes, and even if best, there must be others, even here in USA, that are highly qualified. So why choose Canadian?

Other than Paul trying to explain away heading north for repairs, I figure it's a good choice. Canada is a GREAT place.

No hypocrisy. The facility is private and Paul is paying cash.
It's a
Seems the Hospital is a Non-Profit. That bills the public taxpayer to provide services.
Private people can go to these hospitals. But with 90% plus of the hospital funded by
Canada payers. It's hypocrisy FULLY by Rand! The POS needs to go and pay fully at a hospital
not getting funded by Canada taxpayer funding.

It receives some public funding, but it is not 100% publicly funded. In any case, it doesn't matter because Paul is paying out of pocket. If he was using Canadian tax dollars to fund his surgery then you'd have a point.
LOL!...
Publicly funded, privately administered; Ontario Health Insurance Plan

See how it's funded.

https://www.shouldice.com/faqs/

Forum List

Back