Rand Paul Breaks Campaign Promise, Accepts Money From Senators Who Bailed Out Banks

Modbert

Daydream Believer
Sep 2, 2008
Rand Paul Breaks Campaign Promise, Accepts Money From Senators Who Bailed Out Banks | Blue Wave News

In a turnabout from a campaign pledge, Republican senatorial candidate Rand Paul is getting help raising campaign money by GOP senators who voted for the 2008 Wall Street bailout.

According to an Associated Press report, Paul is holding a fundraiser Thursday night in Washington, D.C. Although Paul earlier had said he wouldn’t seek money from any politician who voted for the $700 billion bailout, nine of the 12 senators listed on the event’s host committee were bailout supporters.

In August 2009, Paul’s chief primary opponent, Kentucky Secretary of State Trey Grayson, was scheduled to have a Washington fundraiser that McConnell was involved in hosting. That’s when Paul promised not to take money from senators who backed the bank bailout, but his campaign press release did not say the pledge applied only to the primary.

“This isn’t about holding politicians to an impossibly high standard of agreeing with everything one’s supporters say or do,” Paul said in the 2009 statement. “But a primary focus of my campaign is that we need Republicans in office who will have the courage to say no to federal bailouts of big business.

Jesse Benton, Paul’s campaign manager, said the no-donations pledge was made during the primary campaign and is no longer one they feel the need to abide by since that campaign is over.

Got that? Primary elections are all about souls and integrity and values. Now that the primary is over, it’s perfectly cool to take money from any source, regardless of its ideologically filthy provenance, because Paul already won the battle for the direction and soul of the Republican party! And as everyone knows, one is only constrained by those pesky, inconvenient straits known as principles in the primary. Anything goes in the general, baby! The primary may be a demonstration of “It’s not whether you win or lose, but how you play the game,” but the general is definitely “Win by any means necessary.”

Oh Rand Paul, already acting like a regular Republican Establishment candidate. Warms my heart to see how he continues to prove people like me right.

Once Mitch McConnell took Rand Paul under his wing to "school" him on the fine art of being a politician, who DIDN'T see this one coming? How's it feeling for you, Tea Baggers?

Once Mitch McConnell took Rand Paul under his wing to "school" him on the fine art of being a politician, who DIDN'T see this one coming? How's it feeling for you, Tea Baggers?

Another party affiliated politician found to be a liar.

Not sure why you throw this on the tea partyers. They are no more clairvoyant (sp) than the rest of us.

There are plenty of liars in both parties. Should we make fun of the democratic voters for Rangels shennanigans?

Not sure why you throw this on the tea partyers. They are no more clairvoyant (sp) than the rest of us.

There are plenty of liars in both parties. Should we make fun of the democratic voters for Rangels shennanigans?

Because the Tea Baggers supported this clown. Did you NOT hear Paul's victory speech?

Because the Tea Baggers supported this clown. Did you NOT hear Paul's victory speech?

And many supported many other politicians that were later found out to be phonies.

I guess you must put the tea partyers on a pedestal as you seem to assume that they should be much more intuitive than the rest of us as it pertains to politicians.

Sorry VaYank. I got you on that one :razz:

lol....he pulled an obama...and look how well it did obama...it bought him an election

Last edited:
Rand Paul Breaks Campaign Promise, Accepts Money From Senators Who Bailed Out Banks | Blue Wave News

In a turnabout from a campaign pledge, Republican senatorial candidate Rand Paul is getting help raising campaign money by GOP senators who voted for the 2008 Wall Street bailout.

According to an Associated Press report, Paul is holding a fundraiser Thursday night in Washington, D.C. Although Paul earlier had said he wouldn’t seek money from any politician who voted for the $700 billion bailout, nine of the 12 senators listed on the event’s host committee were bailout supporters.

In August 2009, Paul’s chief primary opponent, Kentucky Secretary of State Trey Grayson, was scheduled to have a Washington fundraiser that McConnell was involved in hosting. That’s when Paul promised not to take money from senators who backed the bank bailout, but his campaign press release did not say the pledge applied only to the primary.

“This isn’t about holding politicians to an impossibly high standard of agreeing with everything one’s supporters say or do,” Paul said in the 2009 statement. “But a primary focus of my campaign is that we need Republicans in office who will have the courage to say no to federal bailouts of big business.

Jesse Benton, Paul’s campaign manager, said the no-donations pledge was made during the primary campaign and is no longer one they feel the need to abide by since that campaign is over.

Got that? Primary elections are all about souls and integrity and values. Now that the primary is over, it’s perfectly cool to take money from any source, regardless of its ideologically filthy provenance, because Paul already won the battle for the direction and soul of the Republican party! And as everyone knows, one is only constrained by those pesky, inconvenient straits known as principles in the primary. Anything goes in the general, baby! The primary may be a demonstration of “It’s not whether you win or lose, but how you play the game,” but the general is definitely “Win by any means necessary.”

Oh Rand Paul, already acting like a regular Republican Establishment candidate. Warms my heart to see how he continues to prove people like me right.

Much ado about nothing. Oh by the way I didn't hear a peep out of you when Obama reversed his pledge to seek public financing in the general election.

And many supported many other politicians that were later found out to be phonies.

I guess you must put the tea partyers on a pedestal as you seem to assume that they should be much more intuitive than the rest of us as it pertains to politicians.

Actually you didn't, as I find most of the Tea Baggers to be raving lunatics and I absolutely revel in these sorts of stories where they back someone whom they think is a god pick, split the "conservative" vote and then end up with egg on their faces. Please Google "Sharron Angle"...

Is that like the Palin Derangement Syndrome?

Or the Tea Party Derangement Syndrome?

Or does it strictly apply to those that think differently than you.

Not going to find me turning every thread into something about Palin or the Tea Party. However, quite a few people on here seem to have a tendency to make every thread about Obama. I have a feeling even ten years ago they'll still be doing so. Hell, goodness knows the same people hate to be reminded they voted for a certain somebody twice. :eusa_whistle:

Actually you didn't, as and I absolutely revel in these sorts of stories where they back someone whom they think is a god pick, split the "conservative" vote and then end up with egg on their faces. Please Google "Sharron Angle"...

No need to google anyone.
Your line "I find most of the Tea Baggers to be raving lunatics" makes me sick.
I had you pegged all wrong VaYank. And I blame myself.

Care to give the source that your sourse got this information from

From the about part of your link

Blue Wave News is a community of Democrats working to further liberal causes.

Actually you didn't, as and I absolutely revel in these sorts of stories where they back someone whom they think is a god pick, split the "conservative" vote and then end up with egg on their faces. Please Google "Sharron Angle"...

No need to google anyone.
Your line "I find most of the Tea Baggers to be raving lunatics" makes me sick.
I had you pegged all wrong VaYank. And I blame myself.

Don't hate.

New Topics

Forum List

Back