Ranchers, farmers brace for 'death tax' impact

A rather convenient ASS-umption, don't you think?

I sort of don't care. If they don't have the money to pay the estate tax, they probably don't have the money to run the ranch properly anyway.

Much better to let them sell it off to someone who does.

You do a lot of assuming, Joe. :eusa_eh:

To a degree, I do. But frankly, if your argument against ANY tax is, "I won't be able to pay it and still do everything I want", you could argue against all taxes.

In the case of farmers, ranchers, et al... they are probably the worst sucklers on the government teet. Which is why those big rectangular states get far more out of washington than they send in.

Our current agricultural system is largely based on MASSIVE government subsidies, everything from Food Stamps to price supports to buying excess government cheese to sit in warehouses. Not to mention the government run irrigation systems that are largely designed to keep these places watered, or the roads that make it possible to do their jobs.

So, no, I don't get upset when the farmers have to pay an estate tax when they pass on their property. They probably only stayed afloat through government cash, in the most part.

Now, if you want to debate the mechanics of it, that's another issue. I could see putting in exemptions and such.

But don't tell me it's always unwarrented, because it isn't.

This is all the Republicans fault, no way the Democrats are responsible for anything after all they are only the majority party and like to brag about it.

Can the rancher give his children his ranch or sell it to them for a nominal fee?

why don't you try leaning some facts, instead of parroting right wing bullshit and making yourself look like an idiot.

The estate tax currently is waved on anyone's estate that is under 5 million dollars, and if it is restored to the clinton level, it will be waived for all estates under a million.

I don't know of any mom and pop gas station that is worth more than a million dollars,..

but if they didn't lie, they'd have nothing to say.

you wouldn't know a lie if it slapped you in the face, jillian, but they sure come flying out of your face.

gas stations and convenience stores for sale

wow!!!

He won't pay the estate tax, his heirs will..

Distinction without a difference.

Um. No. Not really.

A tax on you is taking something from you.

A tax on your estate AFTER you die is taking from someone else who didn't have it to start with. And you don't care. You're dead. You no longer exist. (Sorry, there's no afterlife, either. Learn to deal.)

[
And they probably planned to sell off the ranch, anyway.

Unsupported assertion, assumes facts not in evidence.

You fail in all respects, as usual.

Uh, no, not really. Most family farms get sold...

Top 25 things vanishing from America: #1 -- The family farm - DailyFinance

According to the USDA, 5,382,162 farms dotted the nation in 1950, but this number had declined to 2,121,107 by the 2003 farm census (data from the 2007 census hasn't yet been published).

Anybody have the inflation ratio between Clinton's million dollar exemption and what the million dollars would be worth today? Just curious....but, I don'think it makes any difference today with the libs.

1992 - $1 million

2012 - $1.64 million

That part of America, the filthy rich screwing everyone else, Meister, is an America that needs to end.

Good Republicans can make deals that will exclude the wacky far right while bringing in good centrists and independents for 2014.

The far right neo-econ wacks and the libertarians can go start their own party.

explain to us again why you see a hard working farm family as "screwing America" who told you to always play the victim?

Anybody have the inflation ratio between Clinton's million dollar exemption and what the million dollars would be worth today? Just curious....but, I don'think it makes any difference today with the libs.

1992 - $1 million

2012 - $1.64 million

So it's not really going back to Clinton era taxes....it's much less :eusa_eh:

This is all the Republicans fault, no way the Democrats are responsible for anything after all they are only the majority party and like to brag about it.

Can the rancher give his children his ranch or sell it to them for a nominal fee?

what the rancher needs to do is sell it now while he's alive then all he has to pay are capital gains and not capital gains plus the death tax. then find somewhere overseas that the greedy gimmie crowd can't find it.

A rather convenient ASS-umption, don't you think?

I sort of don't care. If they don't have the money to pay the estate tax, they probably don't have the money to run the ranch properly anyway.

Much better to let them sell it off to someone who does.

There you go ASS-uming again, you fucking twit. They've been running that ranch for 4 GENERATIONS, and you want to come steal half of it from them because their Dad died?

Do you even realize what kind of heartless BASTARDS you fucking Democrats are?

Progressives are the most evil people on the planet. That's why you always find mass graves at the end of every Progressive rainbow

That you don't like the explanation is tuff.

That part of America, the filthy rich screwing everyone else, Meister, is an America that needs to end.

Good Republicans can make deals that will exclude the wacky far right while bringing in good centrists and independents for 2014.

explain to us again why you see a hard working farm family as "screwing America" who told you to always play the victim?

That you don't like the explanation is tuff.

poor old jake the victim of hard working farmers.. grow you own damn food fool.

My family have owned farms and ranches and dairies.

WillowTree, you have no idea of what you whine.

Too bad for you, WillowTree. You far right righties with not much are defending the filthy rich who walk over you. Incredible.

Komrade Jake is a Party Insider

Too bad for you, WillowTree. You far right righties with not much are defending the filthy rich who walk over you. Incredible.

hey I'm set. I've been retired since I was age 57. Nobody is walking over grandma cause I've never pictured myself in a class war and never have seen myself as a victim and have always paid for my own fucking birth control which I used and I sure as hell know who da baby daddy izz.

You are right. You are not a victim. But you will pay you fair share of the social compact. That's they way it is, and nothing you can do about it.

hey I'm set. I've been retired since I was age 57. Nobody is walking over grandma cause I've never pictured myself in a class war and never have seen myself as a victim and have always paid for my own fucking birth control which I used and I sure as hell know who da baby daddy izz.

Forum List

Back