Ralph Peters Takes On Rumsfeld's Supporters & "General Politics"

Discussion in 'Middle East - General' started by NATO AIR, Apr 19, 2006.

1. NATO AIR

NATO AIR Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +282
    two great op-eds today from two of the best conservative writers on the military, Ralph Peters and Max Boot... who actually take opposite viewpoints, but with good results for the reader.

2. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    Great post NATO! I heard Ralph Peters yesterday regarding his article. He said much of what was found in the article. One thing he did bring out, if serving generals speak out, they would be wrong and insubordinate. In his book, he made clear his distain of Rumsfeld, which I can respect, yet this as far as I know, is the most direct attack he's made. Perhaps you know more?

3. NATO AIR

NATO AIR Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +282
    I had not thought of that point until Ralph Peters pointed it out, and it is very disturbing now that I think of it. The active generals at the Pentagon have tainted themselves by issuing this flattery of Rumsfeld and other officials. At least these retired types (one of whom turned down a third star rather than work for Rumsfeld and this crew again) waited until they were not active duty.

But I also agree with Boot, the generals in charge messed up too, especially Franks. Rumsfeld is not the only problem, but getting rid of him is part of the solution. I simply do not and cannot trust him to get an invasion or surgical strike correctly.

And Peters also points out how these revolving door general types are mouthing their support only to keep their corporate jobs and advisor roles. The whole deal is just disgusting.

But I DO NOT AGREE with Peters in criticizing the AF generals, I think that is a cruel and unsubstantiated slander, but that is what you get with Peters, always the controversial one.