Raising Taxes on Beverages Would Cost New York Citizens Millions

So what? I have to pay outrageous taxes on smokes and wine...let the chubbies get hit with a sin tax, too.

Keep an eye out for some nutter to suicide bomb something in response to this.

You should turn Yourself in before You get violent Ravi? Answering Evil with more Evil is Sad, Ravi.

Getting off on punishing without reason is part of the problem Ravi. This is not a Political issue in the sense that the Victims are all of us, Right and Left. You do realize that the petition against the Tax comes from the Left, and the Right.

About Us

New Yorkers Against Unfair Taxes is a coalition of concerned New Yorkers – hard working individuals, struggling families, and already burdened small businesses – opposed to any tax increases on juice drinks and soda. The coalition’s primary aim is to prevent the enactment of unfair and misdirected beverage tax increases that could cost our state over 6,000 jobs. Our coalition understands that New Yorkers are already among the highest taxed citizens in the nation; that we can’t tolerate a regressive tax that disproportionately targets middle and lower income New Yorkers; and that we won’t be fooled by Albany trying to control our lifestyle by policing what we eat and drink.

COALITION MEMBERS

The Business Council of New York State

Coca-Cola Bottling Company of Buffalo, Inc

New York Association of Convenience Stores

New York State Automatic Vending Association

National Restaurant Association

National Supermarket Association

Gristedes

The Food Industry Alliance of New York State

New York State Restaurant Association

Grocery Manufacturers Association

Can Manufacturers Institute

American Council on Science and Health

National Puerto Rican Coalition

League of United Latin American Citizens

Polar Beverage Company

Adirondack Beverages

The Coca-Cola Company

Glaceau

Region V U.S. Hispanic Chamber of Commerce

Dan’s Supreme Supermarkets, Inc.

Corn Refiners Association

National Association of Theatre Owners - New York

U.S. Hispanic Chamber of Commerce

One Abingdon Square Enterprises, Inc.

H&H Kim Co.

Chan Song Corp.

BRS Food Corp.

Lime Tree Market

Golden Boy Mart

M.H. Fruit Corp.

Gem’s Circle Farm Co.

West Front Andrew Corp.

Blissville Deli & Grocery

300 J&J Fresh Produce

Modern Gourmet

Errand Grocery

Sunny’s Best Food Corp.

Fine Fare

P&E Grocery Corp.

Seoul Shopping, Inc.

Star Lite Deli

Maiden Heaven 9-11, Inc.

Paul’s Grocery

Soon Deli Grocery

Lee Kim Market

PJ Jenny Farm

Kay’s Deli

City Limits Diner

Kyung’s Fruit Store, Inc.

P.J. Deli

Cuban American National Council

ASPIRA Association, Inc.

Livanos Restaurant Group

NY Farm Corp.

Jun & Jeong Farm Inc. Corp.

Smiley’s

Austin Fruit & Vegetable Corp.

Haerahm, Inc.

Annie’s Fruit & Vegetable Store

Scaramelia’s

Helen Food Corp.

Key Food

D&R Grocery, Inc.

Chocolate Deli & Grocery, Inc.

Fancy Fruit Market

Roosevelt Gourmet Deli

National Council of Chain Restaurants

Bodega Association of the United States

Red Apple Group

N&D Deli, Inc.

Penn Plaza Gourmet Deli, Inc.

Queens Farmer’s and Health

Belle Harbor Foods, Inc.

New Blue Flowers Gourmet, Inc.

Chelsea Hyper Market, Inc.

DNY Natural Land

Soho Garden

K&P Deli

Cho’s Grocery

Fresh King Market, Inc.

Daniel Oh Corp.

Young Corp.

Sheen Brothers, Inc.

Lee Supermarket (Village Market)

#81 Farm Deli

J.W. Market, Inc.

Ham Maek Corp.

Peter Plus, Inc.

Sunnydale Farm Store

Food Mart

Y & Y Farm Co.

Peppermill Fruit & Vegetable, Inc.

Smile Deli

U. Farm Land

Tudor Farm Market, Inc.

Harvest on Hudson, LLC.

Half Moon River Club, LLC.

East By Northeast, LLC.

Stone Lion Inn, LLC.

Harvest Partners, LLC.

Harvest on Ft. Pond, LLC.

Fort Pond Partners, LLC.

One High St, LLC.

Eagle Equities, LLC.

Berbro Realty, LLC.

Fort Pond Bay Co., LLC.

Eagle Golf Association, LLC.

River Road, LLC.

Pepsi Cola Bottling Newburgh

Foodtown - PSK Supermarkets

MoMo Grocery Corp.

H&D Deli

FresProduces

The Original Supermarket Corp.

Associated Supermarket

120 Meat Corp

492 Corp Supermarket

367 Waverly Meat Market and Produce

Pioneer BC Food Produce

DNJ Food Corp

J.V.D. Food Corp

Bravo Supermarket

Soho Food Corp.

C-Town Supermarket

Key Food Supermarket

Rockaway Supermarket Corp

Olamar Food Corp

El Verde Meat & Produce Corp

Green Forest Food Corp

NSA Supermarket

Around Food Corp

JJR 66-82 Food Corp

116-15 GMV Corp

Newburgh Food Corp

1239 Food Corp

Hex Foods

2096 Concourse Food Plaza

Foodtown

560 W. Meat & Produce Corp

MET Food

Anber Meat & Produce

JD Food & Meat Corp

Gava Food Corp

April Food Corp

J&F Meat & Grocery Corp

115 RD Food Corp

Associated Supermarket

AES Meat & Produce Corp

Associated Juncalito Abeyo

A&G Family Corp

3690 JAD Food Corp

DAR Food Corp

Palero Food Corp

R&E Corp

Billy Boy Food Corp

P.J. 37 Food Corp

Juncalito Meat & Produce

Palero Meat Corp

McDonalds

Coca Cola of NNE

Sessions Fitness

Asian America Convenience Store Owner Association

NASARY Management

Continental Food and Beverage Inca Kola

What You Can Do To Help!

Write your legislator or Governor Paterson and tell them you don’t want more taxes.
Write a Letter to the Editor of your local newspaper.
Please email media requests to: [email protected]

New Yorkers Against Unfair Taxes - About Us

Disagreeing is hardling "evil." Weren't you just talking about vindictive imbalance?

Also, hate to burst your bubble by posting all the anti-tax supporters ^, but a recent polling says otherwise:

Most New Yorkers support soda tax ?to balance budget?, survey finds

And to dispel another myth posted on this thread, orange juice will NOT be taxed as soda. It is carbonated S.O.D.A and beer, period. (And apparently the beer tax hasn't been raised in decades in New York). So quitcherbitchen and pay the $.12 on the one and the $1.44 on the other. BFD.

Gov. Paterson is at it again! He just proposed a new 12-cent per can tax on sugar sweetened beverages. That’s an extra $1.44 on a 12-pack! And it’s 10 times more per 12-pack than the current state tax on alcoholic beverages like beer! We need to send a strong message that this is not the time to add a tax on the backs of hard-working New Yorkers. This is not the time to put thousands of good-paying beverage industry jobs at risk.

We need your help today. Fill in the form below to send a message to your state legislator. Tell them you are a hard-working New Yorker that is fed up with taxes!

New Yorkers Against Unfair Taxes - Grassroots Action Center

I don't seem to remember all of this hoopla about increases in the cigarette and/or alcohol taxes (I'm a smoker).

All this vindictive nagging on Red States is really telling. You really don't know or understand People or Human Nature, at all do You? The question is , Is the world better off with You in Your bubble, or does the damage You do to Other's, require an intervention and a wake up call? Actions have consequences, intended and unintended. When You loose the balance, that is either negligence or incompetence. In the end, the blame will find You. Stop ruining Other People's live's in the attempt to give meaning to Your Own.

So what part of the country has been shouting "The South Shall Rise Again" (in one form or another) since the Civil War? Attitudes on many levels in the deep south have never changed. While I wouldn't dream of calling someone to his face a "redneck," when I lived in Houston in the early 80's, I was frequently called a "Yankee" which has the same negative connotation.

Being a sixth generation Texan I can tell you that calling a northerner a yankee is not meant as a derogatory label, just an honest and accurate description. If you took offense at being called a yankee then you have issues. As for calling southerners rednecks, it's not an insult. If you only knew the origin of the word "redneck" maybe you would understand. But I doubt it.

So what? I have to pay outrageous taxes on smokes and wine...let the chubbies get hit with a sin tax, too.

Keep an eye out for some nutter to suicide bomb something in response to this.

You should turn Yourself in before You get violent Ravi? Answering Evil with more Evil is Sad, Ravi.

Getting off on punishing without reason is part of the problem Ravi. This is not a Political issue in the sense that the Victims are all of us, Right and Left. You do realize that the petition against the Tax comes from the Left, and the Right.

About Us

New Yorkers Against Unfair Taxes is a coalition of concerned New Yorkers – hard working individuals, struggling families, and already burdened small businesses – opposed to any tax increases on juice drinks and soda. The coalition’s primary aim is to prevent the enactment of unfair and misdirected beverage tax increases that could cost our state over 6,000 jobs. Our coalition understands that New Yorkers are already among the highest taxed citizens in the nation; that we can’t tolerate a regressive tax that disproportionately targets middle and lower income New Yorkers; and that we won’t be fooled by Albany trying to control our lifestyle by policing what we eat and drink.

COALITION MEMBERS

The Business Council of New York State

Coca-Cola Bottling Company of Buffalo, Inc

New York Association of Convenience Stores

New York State Automatic Vending Association

National Restaurant Association

National Supermarket Association

Gristedes

The Food Industry Alliance of New York State

New York State Restaurant Association

Grocery Manufacturers Association

Can Manufacturers Institute

American Council on Science and Health

National Puerto Rican Coalition

League of United Latin American Citizens

Polar Beverage Company

Adirondack Beverages

The Coca-Cola Company

Glaceau

Region V U.S. Hispanic Chamber of Commerce

Dan’s Supreme Supermarkets, Inc.

Corn Refiners Association

National Association of Theatre Owners - New York

U.S. Hispanic Chamber of Commerce

One Abingdon Square Enterprises, Inc.

H&H Kim Co.

Chan Song Corp.

BRS Food Corp.

Lime Tree Market

Golden Boy Mart

M.H. Fruit Corp.

Gem’s Circle Farm Co.

West Front Andrew Corp.

Blissville Deli & Grocery

300 J&J Fresh Produce

Modern Gourmet

Errand Grocery

Sunny’s Best Food Corp.

Fine Fare

P&E Grocery Corp.

Seoul Shopping, Inc.

Star Lite Deli

Maiden Heaven 9-11, Inc.

Paul’s Grocery

Soon Deli Grocery

Lee Kim Market

PJ Jenny Farm

Kay’s Deli

City Limits Diner

Kyung’s Fruit Store, Inc.

P.J. Deli

Cuban American National Council

ASPIRA Association, Inc.

Livanos Restaurant Group

NY Farm Corp.

Jun & Jeong Farm Inc. Corp.

Smiley’s

Austin Fruit & Vegetable Corp.

Haerahm, Inc.

Annie’s Fruit & Vegetable Store

Scaramelia’s

Helen Food Corp.

Key Food

D&R Grocery, Inc.

Chocolate Deli & Grocery, Inc.

Fancy Fruit Market

Roosevelt Gourmet Deli

National Council of Chain Restaurants

Bodega Association of the United States

Red Apple Group

N&D Deli, Inc.

Penn Plaza Gourmet Deli, Inc.

Queens Farmer’s and Health

Belle Harbor Foods, Inc.

New Blue Flowers Gourmet, Inc.

Chelsea Hyper Market, Inc.

DNY Natural Land

Soho Garden

K&P Deli

Cho’s Grocery

Fresh King Market, Inc.

Daniel Oh Corp.

Young Corp.

Sheen Brothers, Inc.

Lee Supermarket (Village Market)

#81 Farm Deli

J.W. Market, Inc.

Ham Maek Corp.

Peter Plus, Inc.

Sunnydale Farm Store

Food Mart

Y & Y Farm Co.

Peppermill Fruit & Vegetable, Inc.

Smile Deli

U. Farm Land

Tudor Farm Market, Inc.

Harvest on Hudson, LLC.

Half Moon River Club, LLC.

East By Northeast, LLC.

Stone Lion Inn, LLC.

Harvest Partners, LLC.

Harvest on Ft. Pond, LLC.

Fort Pond Partners, LLC.

One High St, LLC.

Eagle Equities, LLC.

Berbro Realty, LLC.

Fort Pond Bay Co., LLC.

Eagle Golf Association, LLC.

River Road, LLC.

Pepsi Cola Bottling Newburgh

Foodtown - PSK Supermarkets

MoMo Grocery Corp.

H&D Deli

FresProduces

The Original Supermarket Corp.

Associated Supermarket

120 Meat Corp

492 Corp Supermarket

367 Waverly Meat Market and Produce

Pioneer BC Food Produce

DNJ Food Corp

J.V.D. Food Corp

Bravo Supermarket

Soho Food Corp.

C-Town Supermarket

Key Food Supermarket

Rockaway Supermarket Corp

Olamar Food Corp

El Verde Meat & Produce Corp

Green Forest Food Corp

NSA Supermarket

Around Food Corp

JJR 66-82 Food Corp

116-15 GMV Corp

Newburgh Food Corp

1239 Food Corp

Hex Foods

2096 Concourse Food Plaza

Foodtown

560 W. Meat & Produce Corp

MET Food

Anber Meat & Produce

JD Food & Meat Corp

Gava Food Corp

April Food Corp

J&F Meat & Grocery Corp

115 RD Food Corp

Associated Supermarket

AES Meat & Produce Corp

Associated Juncalito Abeyo

A&G Family Corp

3690 JAD Food Corp

DAR Food Corp

Palero Food Corp

R&E Corp

Billy Boy Food Corp

P.J. 37 Food Corp

Juncalito Meat & Produce

Palero Meat Corp

McDonalds

Coca Cola of NNE

Sessions Fitness

Asian America Convenience Store Owner Association

NASARY Management

Continental Food and Beverage Inca Kola

What You Can Do To Help!

Write your legislator or Governor Paterson and tell them you don’t want more taxes.
Write a Letter to the Editor of your local newspaper.
Please email media requests to: [email protected]

New Yorkers Against Unfair Taxes - About Us

Disagreeing is hardling "evil." Weren't you just talking about vindictive imbalance?

Also, hate to burst your bubble by posting all the anti-tax supporters ^, but a recent polling says otherwise:

Vindictiveness is evil Maggie. Are You defending Ravi? Lashing out at what You don't understand, for the sake of personal satisfaction. It's a form of collateral Damage Maggie.

I too posted links on NYer's supporting the Tax, when threatened with loss of services as the alternative. Get it Maggie? Good.

All this vindictive nagging on Red States is really telling. You really don't know or understand People or Human Nature, at all do You? The question is , Is the world better off with You in Your bubble, or does the damage You do to Other's, require an intervention and a wake up call? Actions have consequences, intended and unintended. When You loose the balance, that is either negligence or incompetence. In the end, the blame will find You. Stop ruining Other People's live's in the attempt to give meaning to Your Own.

So what part of the country has been shouting "The South Shall Rise Again" (in one form or another) since the Civil War? Attitudes on many levels in the deep south have never changed. While I wouldn't dream of calling someone to his face a "redneck," when I lived in Houston in the early 80's, I was frequently called a "Yankee" which has the same negative connotation.

Being a sixth generation Texan I can tell you that calling a northerner a yankee is not meant as a derogatory label, just an honest and accurate description. If you took offense at being called a yankee then you have issues. As for calling southerners rednecks, it's not an insult. If you only knew the origin of the word "redneck" maybe you would understand. But I doubt it.

So, you think it's up to the person hurling the insult to decide if it's an insult. Interesting.

So, you think it's up to the person hurling the insult to decide if it's an insult. Interesting.

No and if you got that from what I said then your a fucking idiot.

I did not see in your link where this survey was done. Just curious what exactly were the questions on it. Do you have a link to that survey? I am sure glad we do not live in NY. I've heard that even the property taxes there are a killer.
The survey found that 79 percent of respondents think that government involvement in such food issues is useful rather than meddling.

I did not see in your link where this survey was done. Just curious what exactly were the questions on it. Do you have a link to that survey? I am sure glad we do not live in NY. I've heard that even the property taxes there are a killer.
The survey found that 79 percent of respondents think that government involvement in such food issues is useful rather than meddling.

Most of the stuff I find is old. This battle has been going on for a long time. Sometimes I wonder about the term "Empire State", as in, comparable to "State Of Siege". The Privileged just don't give a damn, most of the rest have sold out Individual Liberty for a place in the food chain. Position over Substance. I am a Federalist, in the Madison sense, I just think that there are somethings that You just don't compromise without loosing direction. Our current system knows no boundaries or limits. It is also real bad at math.

The illusion is in no way justified, hence, the race to silence and discredit opposition. It's about so much more tan the sugar tax. Watch who get's exempted. My cousin at Coke, living and breathing DNC His whole life, finds Himself on the Menu that has destroyed so many Lives over the Years, has taken a baby step in opposing Government Usurpation of Our Rights and Purse, I applaud Him, His Union, and Coke for taking the stand. The real issues are Liberty, Enumerated Powers, The consent of the Governed, and access to Justice. "The Empire State", "State Of Siege", "Land Of Fines, Fee's, and Penalties", From Red Light Camera's, to Alternate side Parking, to Taxes on Surcharges, most don't begin to realize what it means to own any part of One's day. Entitlement should not be confused with Liberty, ever. Be it Bloomberg, Patterson, Obama, I am so touched that They worry about My weight, when They have so much more relevant things to worry about, like Government Payroll, Benefits, and Pensions, I'm sure there is no connection there.
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I think that one of the Questions should distinguish between those that support elected representatives as opposed to elected nannies. Civics, the lost art. Vote for this and it will magically take away all of your problems. How can you not support it?

Most of the stuff I find is old. This battle has been going on for a long time. Sometimes I wonder about the term "Empire State", as in, comparable to "State Of Siege". The Privileged just don't give a damn, most of the rest have sold out Individual Liberty for a place in the food chain. Position over Substance. I am a Federalist, in the Madison sense, I just think that there are somethings that You just don't compromise without loosing direction. Our current system knows no boundaries or limits. It is also real bad at math.

The illusion is in no way justified, hence, the race to silence and discredit opposition. It's about so much more tan the sugar tax. Watch who get's exempted. My cousin at Coke, living and breathing DNC His whole life, finds Himself on the Menu that has destroyed so many Lives over the Years, has taken a baby step in opposing Government Usurpation of Our Rights and Purse, I applaud Him, His Union, and Coke for taking the stand. The real issues are Liberty, Enumerated Powers, The consent of the Governed, and access to Justice. "The Empire State", "State Of Siege", "Land Of Fines, Fee's, and Penalties", From Red Light Camera's, to Alternate side Parking, to Taxes on Surcharges, most don't begin to realize what it means to own any part of One's day. Entitlement should not be confused with Liberty, ever. Be it Bloomberg, Patterson, Obama, I am so touched that They worry about My weight, when They have so much more relevant things to worry about, like Government Payroll, Benefits, and Pensions, I'm sure there is no connection there.

They worry about you tremendously. All of these taxes amount to robbing us blind. I am in pretty good shape but I will switch to diet drinks if this tax reaches my area. How long before this tax reaches the diet drinks too? All of these taxes hurt the poor more than anyone.

Philadelphia is proposing same. First dey tax da sugary in da sodas, den dey tax da sugary in yer Oreos and Hershey barz.

They worry about you tremendously. All of these taxes amount to robbing us blind. I am in pretty good shape but I will switch to diet drinks if this tax reaches my area. How long before this tax reaches the diet drinks too? All of these taxes hurt the poor more than anyone.

My interpretation of Diet drinks are Unsweetened, Seltzer, Water, Brewed Tea, Coffee, Ice, ... I'm big on Ice. I just see commercial diet drinks as carcinogenic, chemical pollutant, and addictive. They lost me with Fresca. LOL. Diet Caffeine free coke is a lesson in futility. Why bother? :lol: :lol: :lol:

My interpretation of Diet drinks are Unsweetened, Seltzer, Water, Brewed Tea, Coffee, Ice, ... I'm big on Ice. I just see commercial diet drinks as carcinogenic, chemical pollutant, and addictive. They lost me with Fresca. LOL. Diet Caffeine free coke is a lesson in futility. Why bother? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Has anyone looked to see if there are maybe some perks involved for whoever passes this tax sugar but not chemicals scheme? That is what I would be looking into.

Forum List

Back