Raising Taxes on Beverages Would Cost New York Citizens Millions

Oh No!!!!!

How are the hard core lefties going to afford their Koolaid?

We'll need to increase the food stamp allowance for New Yorkers.

How contradictory. How amusing, since it's all you folks who are bitching about the increased cost for your liquid fixes, not the "lefties" here. And fyi, beer isn't covered by food stamps.

As I don't drink sugared drinks; it wouldn't affect me. But I am aware enough and decent enough not to wish to see such a regressive tax.

The idea that someone would object to increased taxes for anyone because government is Too Big Already is something I wouldn't expect you to grok.

(I don't drink beer either, but you might want to check the tax rate on your malt liquor.)

Last edited:
Yeah, right. I've lived in two red states and couldn't wait to get out.

Sometimes you can manage to find bastions of sanity in red states. Sometimes not. Hell, even Texas has Austin. That's an awesome town.

Tell that the the bars and clubs across Europe that are closing. :lol::lol::lol::lol: When will people learn that restricting the rights of individuals is never a good thing.

True story. I have had occasion to go to Paris fairly frequently - the little cafes are dying out. It's sad.

It think it's hilarious, simply a belly gusher, that all you cons are suddenly so concerned about what might "hit" the lower and middle class.

•A sales tax on products – like soda and juice drinks – hits those who can least afford to pay the higher costs, especially middle and lower income New Yorkers.

Funny Maggie, The E-Mail I got from My cousin, The Obama Worshiping Kool-Aid drinking retired Coca-Cola driver (Teamster?), started this thread. The Union's are behind the petition, because it will effect Them as much as Everyone else. My Cuz, was born, lives, and will die a Democrat. Sad as the truth is, I agree with Him on the Issue, and in support, posted the Petition link. You need to be rescued from Yourself Maggie. Oppression hurts All of Us, We are All Prisoners to it.

smoking bans, trans fats, sodium, sugar, etc. So much for NYC being the restaurant/entertainment capital of the world. The health nazis aren't just after the tax money. They'd like to kill tourism as well. Hey Top Chefs - Move your restaurants to NJ Oh wait...

Most people who eat in a real restaurant run by a top chef, don't order a coke...

Nope....a diet coke.

Libs sit around thinking up new taxes like teenage boys sit around and think about girls.

Combine 'em

A tit - tax. Those who refuse to show, get taxed.

A SBTC (sagging breast tax credit) will be given to those to whom gravity has taken its toll. Automatic credit to those over 50.

Would a similar credit be given to men whose balls have sunk via gravity so they can no longer wear shorts without bringing on gales of laughter? I guess you don't expect to ever get that old. Got it.

Call it Penis Envy Dear. :cool:

Oh No!!!!!

How are the hard core lefties going to afford their Koolaid?

We'll need to increase the food stamp allowance for New Yorkers.

How contradictory. How amusing, since it's all you folks who are bitching about the increased cost for your liquid fixes, not the "lefties" here. And fyi, beer isn't covered by food stamps.

As I don't drink sugared drinks; it wouldn't affect me. But I am aware enough and decent enough not to wish to see such a regressive tax.

The idea that someone would object to increased taxes for anyone because government is Too Big Already is something I wouldn't expect you to grok.

(I don't drink beer either, but you might want to check the tax rate on your malt liquor.)

If you drink Orange Juice or any juice with sugar in it you're gonna be effected by the tax.

Let's delve into the minds of liberal politicians.

They need money pay for their entitlement programs and pay their benefactors for supporting them.

They wanted to figure out a way of taxing us without it looking like it was an imposition.

So they figured out where they were going to tax us and they figured out a way of making it seem like a crisis.

Raising taxes on sugary drinks is only to keep you from being fat.
Raising taxes on gas is only to keep you from driving too much thus saving the planet.
Raising taxes on cigarettes will keep you from smoking and cut back on medical expenses.
Raising taxes on booze will keep you from getting drunk and do the same.
Raising taxes on consumer goods will force you to cut back.

We're in a state of crisis constantly with these people. They spent the economy into the shitter and now they have to tax us out of it. And 30% of you feel this is cool. They use taxes to control our lives and the net effect is lost jobs and a stagnant economy.

Keep voting for them and it will only get worse.

I hope you're just talking about New York. Because this constant demonizing of Democrats for creating the current economic mess, for taxes, for spending, and just about everything else that tweaks your balls these days, wasn't brought about entirely by "liberals" and most CERTAINLY didn't happen in just the last couple of years.

Since Reagan was elected in 1980, conservatives have held the presidency 24 of 30 years. The GOP held the Senate for 16 different years, and directly controlled the House for 10, all of which combined had the effect of major control over both floors in order to set the agenda resulting in policies, spending, and taxation you so despise today.

You are confusing Conservative with Republican. There is Zero Progressive in Conservative.

If you drink Orange Juice or any juice with sugar in it you're gonna be effected by the tax.

Isn't that special? Taxing the healthy alternatives.

Government sucks.

I'd be amused by the cognitive dissonance of those who think Big Corporations are Evul yet support more and more intrusive Big Government if they weren't doing so much damage to our country.

smoking bans, trans fats, sodium, sugar, etc. So much for NYC being the restaurant/entertainment capital of the world. The health nazis aren't just after the tax money. They'd like to kill tourism as well. Hey Top Chefs - Move your restaurants to NJ Oh wait...

Just like the smoking ban in restaurants, etc., hasn't toppled the tourism industry ANYWHERE, neither will a tax on beer. $1.44 on a 12-pack? Do you know how silly it sounds to bitch about that?

Tell that the the bars and clubs across Europe that are closing. :lol::lol::lol::lol: When will people learn that restricting the rights of individuals is never a good thing.

I thought Americans weren't supposed to care what Europe did? My maintenance man, a strapping Irishman, just got back from his first visit to his family in Ireland in many years, and he said people there seem to have gotten used to the ban, whereas he once was sure there would be rioting in the streets. It's the same here. So far, with the exception of when a smoking ban was first put in place and all the grumbling that went with it, people have migrated right back to their favorite watering holes.

All this vindictive nagging on Red States is really telling. You really don't know or understand People or Human Nature, at all do You? The question is , Is the world better off with You in Your bubble, or does the damage You do to Other's, require an intervention and a wake up call? Actions have consequences, intended and unintended. When You loose the balance, that is either negligence or incompetence. In the end, the blame will find You. Stop ruining Other People's live's in the attempt to give meaning to Your Own.

So what? I have to pay outrageous taxes on smokes and wine...let the chubbies get hit with a sin tax, too.

Keep an eye out for some nutter to suicide bomb something in response to this.

So what? I have to pay outrageous taxes on smokes and wine...let the chubbies get hit with a sin tax, too.

Keep an eye out for some nutter to suicide bomb something in response to this.

You should turn Yourself in before You get violent Ravi? Answering Evil with more Evil is Sad, Ravi.

Getting off on punishing without reason is part of the problem Ravi. This is not a Political issue in the sense that the Victims are all of us, Right and Left. You do realize that the petition against the Tax comes from the Left, and the Right.

About Us

New Yorkers Against Unfair Taxes is a coalition of concerned New Yorkers – hard working individuals, struggling families, and already burdened small businesses – opposed to any tax increases on juice drinks and soda. The coalition’s primary aim is to prevent the enactment of unfair and misdirected beverage tax increases that could cost our state over 6,000 jobs. Our coalition understands that New Yorkers are already among the highest taxed citizens in the nation; that we can’t tolerate a regressive tax that disproportionately targets middle and lower income New Yorkers; and that we won’t be fooled by Albany trying to control our lifestyle by policing what we eat and drink.

COALITION MEMBERS

The Business Council of New York State

Coca-Cola Bottling Company of Buffalo, Inc

New York Association of Convenience Stores

New York State Automatic Vending Association

National Restaurant Association

National Supermarket Association

Gristedes

The Food Industry Alliance of New York State

New York State Restaurant Association

Grocery Manufacturers Association

Can Manufacturers Institute

American Council on Science and Health

National Puerto Rican Coalition

League of United Latin American Citizens

Polar Beverage Company

Adirondack Beverages

The Coca-Cola Company

Glaceau

Region V U.S. Hispanic Chamber of Commerce

Dan’s Supreme Supermarkets, Inc.

Corn Refiners Association

National Association of Theatre Owners - New York

U.S. Hispanic Chamber of Commerce

One Abingdon Square Enterprises, Inc.

H&H Kim Co.

Chan Song Corp.

BRS Food Corp.

Lime Tree Market

Golden Boy Mart

M.H. Fruit Corp.

Gem’s Circle Farm Co.

West Front Andrew Corp.

Blissville Deli & Grocery

300 J&J Fresh Produce

Modern Gourmet

Errand Grocery

Sunny’s Best Food Corp.

Fine Fare

P&E Grocery Corp.

Seoul Shopping, Inc.

Star Lite Deli

Maiden Heaven 9-11, Inc.

Paul’s Grocery

Soon Deli Grocery

Lee Kim Market

PJ Jenny Farm

Kay’s Deli

City Limits Diner

Kyung’s Fruit Store, Inc.

P.J. Deli

Cuban American National Council

ASPIRA Association, Inc.

Livanos Restaurant Group

NY Farm Corp.

Jun & Jeong Farm Inc. Corp.

Smiley’s

Austin Fruit & Vegetable Corp.

Haerahm, Inc.

Annie’s Fruit & Vegetable Store

Scaramelia’s

Helen Food Corp.

Key Food

D&R Grocery, Inc.

Chocolate Deli & Grocery, Inc.

Fancy Fruit Market

Roosevelt Gourmet Deli

National Council of Chain Restaurants

Bodega Association of the United States

Red Apple Group

N&D Deli, Inc.

Penn Plaza Gourmet Deli, Inc.

Queens Farmer’s and Health

Belle Harbor Foods, Inc.

New Blue Flowers Gourmet, Inc.

Chelsea Hyper Market, Inc.

DNY Natural Land

Soho Garden

K&P Deli

Cho’s Grocery

Fresh King Market, Inc.

Daniel Oh Corp.

Young Corp.

Sheen Brothers, Inc.

Lee Supermarket (Village Market)

#81 Farm Deli

J.W. Market, Inc.

Ham Maek Corp.

Peter Plus, Inc.

Sunnydale Farm Store

Food Mart

Y & Y Farm Co.

Peppermill Fruit & Vegetable, Inc.

Smile Deli

U. Farm Land

Tudor Farm Market, Inc.

Harvest on Hudson, LLC.

Half Moon River Club, LLC.

East By Northeast, LLC.

Stone Lion Inn, LLC.

Harvest Partners, LLC.

Harvest on Ft. Pond, LLC.

Fort Pond Partners, LLC.

One High St, LLC.

Eagle Equities, LLC.

Berbro Realty, LLC.

Fort Pond Bay Co., LLC.

Eagle Golf Association, LLC.

River Road, LLC.

Pepsi Cola Bottling Newburgh

Foodtown - PSK Supermarkets

MoMo Grocery Corp.

H&D Deli

FresProduces

The Original Supermarket Corp.

Associated Supermarket

120 Meat Corp

492 Corp Supermarket

367 Waverly Meat Market and Produce

Pioneer BC Food Produce

DNJ Food Corp

J.V.D. Food Corp

Bravo Supermarket

Soho Food Corp.

C-Town Supermarket

Key Food Supermarket

Rockaway Supermarket Corp

Olamar Food Corp

El Verde Meat & Produce Corp

Green Forest Food Corp

NSA Supermarket

Around Food Corp

JJR 66-82 Food Corp

116-15 GMV Corp

Newburgh Food Corp

1239 Food Corp

Hex Foods

2096 Concourse Food Plaza

Foodtown

560 W. Meat & Produce Corp

MET Food

Anber Meat & Produce

JD Food & Meat Corp

Gava Food Corp

April Food Corp

J&F Meat & Grocery Corp

115 RD Food Corp

Associated Supermarket

AES Meat & Produce Corp

Associated Juncalito Abeyo

A&G Family Corp

3690 JAD Food Corp

DAR Food Corp

Palero Food Corp

R&E Corp

Billy Boy Food Corp

P.J. 37 Food Corp

Juncalito Meat & Produce

Palero Meat Corp

McDonalds

Coca Cola of NNE

Sessions Fitness

Asian America Convenience Store Owner Association

NASARY Management

Continental Food and Beverage Inca Kola

What You Can Do To Help!

Write your legislator or Governor Paterson and tell them you don’t want more taxes.
Write a Letter to the Editor of your local newspaper.
Please email media requests to: [email protected]

New Yorkers Against Unfair Taxes - About Us

cut social programs then......had dinner in san francisco the other night....3% health tax added to the bill to pay for health insurance for the unisured......

Same as in Philadelphia, they are going to tax soda and a Garbage pickup tax, that btw they already pay for trash pickup in city taxes, property and wage taxes.

So those lower income folks, as usual, are hit hard again for some simple pleasures for themselves or for their kids, a lousy stinking soda on a hot day.

Thanks again 'fearless leaders' of truth and justice and the American way. As long as THEY know you have money, they will take it. :clap2:

Last edited:
Let's delve into the minds of liberal politicians.

They need money pay for their entitlement programs and pay their benefactors for supporting them.

They wanted to figure out a way of taxing us without it looking like it was an imposition.

So they figured out where they were going to tax us and they figured out a way of making it seem like a crisis.

Raising taxes on sugary drinks is only to keep you from being fat.
Raising taxes on gas is only to keep you from driving too much thus saving the planet.
Raising taxes on cigarettes will keep you from smoking and cut back on medical expenses.
Raising taxes on booze will keep you from getting drunk and do the same.
Raising taxes on consumer goods will force you to cut back.

We're in a state of crisis constantly with these people. They spent the economy into the shitter and now they have to tax us out of it. And 30% of you feel this is cool. They use taxes to control our lives and the net effect is lost jobs and a stagnant economy.

Keep voting for them and it will only get worse.

I hope you're just talking about New York. Because this constant demonizing of Democrats for creating the current economic mess, for taxes, for spending, and just about everything else that tweaks your balls these days, wasn't brought about entirely by "liberals" and most CERTAINLY didn't happen in just the last couple of years.

Since Reagan was elected in 1980, conservatives have held the presidency 24 of 30 years. The GOP held the Senate for 16 different years, and directly controlled the House for 10, all of which combined had the effect of major control over both floors in order to set the agenda resulting in policies, spending, and taxation you so despise today.

You are confusing Conservative with Republican. There is Zero Progressive in Conservative.

Which is what's unfortunate because you'll be spinning your wheels ad infinitum if you're unwilling to bend at all.

All this vindictive nagging on Red States is really telling. You really don't know or understand People or Human Nature, at all do You? The question is , Is the world better off with You in Your bubble, or does the damage You do to Other's, require an intervention and a wake up call? Actions have consequences, intended and unintended. When You loose the balance, that is either negligence or incompetence. In the end, the blame will find You. Stop ruining Other People's live's in the attempt to give meaning to Your Own.

So what part of the country has been shouting "The South Shall Rise Again" (in one form or another) since the Civil War? Attitudes on many levels in the deep south have never changed. While I wouldn't dream of calling someone to his face a "redneck," when I lived in Houston in the early 80's, I was frequently called a "Yankee" which has the same negative connotation.

Forum List

Back