Raising retirement to 70 yrs..

Today, more Americans live 20 or even 30 years past age 65.
When SS was established life expectancy WAS age 65 and the planners never anticipated several factors:
A) Americans living longer and B) More Americans living longer!

So why is there a big hangup on raising the age to 70 when people can start collecting?
No one under age 55 would be affected.
BUT the financial savings would be tremendous.

YET the politicians are claiming those that want to correct this are totally wrong when they say they want to destroy grandma's social security.

Why not just be honest here.
It's not wrong to correct an issue that wasn't considered 70 years ago that people would live longer so why not allow a correction with out all the name calling and accusations.

I want to see this guy chase criminals down the street.

large_curry_2_.jpg

I want to see these guys carry Chris Chrispie out of the state house on a stretcher.

0521_B07.jpg

A simple no brainer adjustment that could be made is to add an individual's cumulative college years attended to that person's retirement age.

If SS was individualized via individual accounts people could retire when they wanted to.

Today, more Americans live 20 or even 30 years past age 65.
When SS was established life expectancy WAS age 65 and the planners never anticipated several factors:
A) Americans living longer and B) More Americans living longer!

So why is there a big hangup on raising the age to 70 when people can start collecting?
No one under age 55 would be affected.
BUT the financial savings would be tremendous.

YET the politicians are claiming those that want to correct this are totally wrong when they say they want to destroy grandma's social security.

Why not just be honest here.
It's not wrong to correct an issue that wasn't considered 70 years ago that people would live longer so why not allow a correction with out all the name calling and accusations.

Tell you what. Provide everyone with universal healthcare and then you can raise the retirement age to 70. Many old Americans can't find work when they are 50 or 60. Are you forgetting that fact? And many of them would like to retire but they need the healthcare, which they only get when they retire. This would be a nightmare for people in their 60's.

Look at the right/rich trying to take back what we have gained. They bankrupted our country and now they want us middle class and poor people pay for it. Nothing new.

Will we start working 50 hour work weeks instead of 40? Are the rich/right going to take back that too?

How about sick days and/or vacation days? Why pay us for days we are not at work producing?

And in Michigan, Snyder has lowered unemployment down from 7 months to 5 months.

And they want to do away with collective bargaining

And do away with minimum wages.

And remember they said illegals were doing jobs Americans won't do? They wanted the cheap labor. And it flooded the job market and lowered all our wages.

Middle class Americans need to realize the assault being made on our way of life. The rich think we all make too much. Even you!

Well we HAVE universal health care already!
310 million Americans right?
Obama has told us there are 47 million uninsured though which is 15% Right?
BUT Obama didn't tell you that ..
10 million of the 47 million are NOT AMericans.. are not citizens!
14 million of his 47 million are ALREADY covered by Medicaid.
24 million from 47 million leaves 23 million right?
17.5 million people under age 34 making over $50,000 a year DON"T want to buy or contribute to health insurance plans even though they are offered by employers? Why?
They don't need it! They are for the most part healthy and when they need service.. pay for it out of pocket.
That leave 5.5 million that truly want health insurance can't afford it or other reasons.
That means 98% of Americans have or don't want health insurance!

NOW about those 5.5 million.
SIMPLE Tax the lawyers that cause the $600 billion a year in "DEFENSIVE MEDICINE"
10% of their $100 billion in fees would pay a $2,000 a year premium AND require hospitals that see the "uninsured" to send all "uninsured" payments to the insurance company.
Thus the hospitals won't "pad and pass" on the uncompensated care expenses as they do now which causes Medicare to pay sometimes 6,000% overcharges from the hospitals!
Stupid isn't it but I've the facts to show that is true!

Then with workers having the ability to direct their ss/medicare deductions to a 3% savings account over 35 years they would have $600,000 accumulated.
NO need for govt. social security ..govt. Medicare because they have $600,000!
AND PLEASE don't you use that trite over cliched..."risky stock market" excuse... won't fly because just simply compound interest @ 3% gets $600,000!

Yeah, I've only paid into this for the last 30 fucking years. Fuck me right? The rich need their fucking taxes cut IN FUCKING HALF in that SAME TIME FRAME.

I mean the SUPER RICH can't be expected to pull their own weight like WORKING PEOPLE can, huh?
They need HELP, the poor wilting darlings.

If you worked 30 or more years to retire on Social Security, you have made a large mistake.
BTW, there is a Social Security wage tax cap which exempts all income above $106,800.
So your rant about the rich doesn't wash.

It might have something to do with people in their 60s and even 50s being all but unemployable. Since it is so difficult for older people to get and keep jobs how is raising the eligibility age not cheating them out of something they worked for?

That doesn't make any sense!
If someone isn't working then they are eligible for many safety net programs.
PLUS the "out of work" excuse is totally STUPID!

Every day I get emails from Snagajob, careerbuilder any number of jobs!
Local convenience stores, retail dollar stores... all looking for help!

It's just some people that could be working think those jobs are beneath them!
Their egos are in the way of reality!

I'm talking about the future of social security which without upping the age there will be no social security! So what you said makes NO sense if there is NO social security!

No.
They don't want those jobs because they get more in unemployment.

Unemployment benefits do expire.
And so do old people.
But we have little to lose so do not seriously piss us off.

One thing yes many people live for 10 years past 65 many in a rest home in a semi vegitative state.

Big money for the "keep em alive" industry.

If it weren't for us oldsters the medical industry would lose 25% of it's income.
Becuase that is about what is spent on us in the last 10 years of our lives.

And we are gonna spend all our money and leave none to you young whippersnappers.
Earn your own money.

Last edited:
They said today SS funds will run out in 2033. DON"T BELIEVE PUB fearmongering, young people...ferchrissake...

Who said it woud run out in 2033 and what fearmongering are you talking about ?

Why don't you learn to post in a way that people can make some sense out of what you have written.

Schoolteacher my ass.

And I hope you are saving your 200K cause it sounds like your are going to need it. If Geithner really said it in trouble in 2033, then we only have the likes of people like you to blame.

You are a first rate asswipe.

Forum List

Back