Raising Kids

I have 2 grown kids, and I'm a developmental psychologist.
Police toys are NOT a problem.
If there's a problem, it's the way the parents raise their kids relative to their kid's age/understanding and the kid's temperament & motivations.
I don't care how many children you have or if you are a developmental psychologist. I have 4 children, 3 of which are boys. I am not a psychologist but I do know that if you extend your statement to mean that playing with guns (weapons) does not affect the developing mind, then your professional worth is questionable.
Sorry, i overlooked your reply.

If you look at "play time with toy guns/weapons" as a single independent variable against "prone to violence" as a dependent variable, and you control for other factors (personality/temperament, parent influence, peers, cultural environment), i strongly doubt you will see a high correlation.
I myself played with toy/bb guns in my youth, and my son played violent/war video games in addition to toy guns/rifle, and neither of us would hurt any animal, let alone a human (other than self defense).
Intelligence & empathy have a LOT to do with that correlation.
As well as the environmental factors you mentioned in a previous post.
I appreciate your thought on the matter, but let's face it "prone to violence" is a diagnosis after the fact. Providing violent stimulation through deadly-oriented toys cannot be a good thing for anyone - compounded by all of the variables you mention.

Why is it that we don't allow children to swear, but as adults we often swear as long as it's out of earshot of children? Deadly weapons (and similar, design-stimulating objects) ought to be treated in the same manner. And that brings right back to the (your) original starting point: the developing mind. We do know that sex and preference in the opposite (or even same) sex can often be traced back to that very stage in a child's life. Should we ignore all of that knowledge when it comes to other characteristics? But I suppose this is where we will never come to an agreement because I suspect that we are at opposite poles on what we consider the fundamental importance (and usage) of weapons.

I have 2 grown kids, and I'm a developmental psychologist.
Police toys are NOT a problem.
If there's a problem, it's the way the parents raise their kids relative to their kid's age/understanding and the kid's temperament & motivations.
I don't care how many children you have or if you are a developmental psychologist. I have 4 children, 3 of which are boys. I am not a psychologist but I do know that if you extend your statement to mean that playing with guns (weapons) does not affect the developing mind, then your professional worth is questionable.
Sorry, i overlooked your reply.

If you look at "play time with toy guns/weapons" as a single independent variable against "prone to violence" as a dependent variable, and you control for other factors (personality/temperament, parent influence, peers, cultural environment), i strongly doubt you will see a high correlation.
I myself played with toy/bb guns in my youth, and my son played violent/war video games in addition to toy guns/rifle, and neither of us would hurt any animal, let alone a human (other than self defense).
Intelligence & empathy have a LOT to do with that correlation.
As well as the environmental factors you mentioned in a previous post.
I appreciate your thought on the matter, but let's face it "prone to violence" is a diagnosis after the fact. Providing violent stimulation through deadly-oriented toys cannot be a good thing for anyone - compounded by all of the variables you mention.

Why is it that we don't allow children to swear, but as adults we often swear as long as it's out of earshot of children? Deadly weapons (and similar, design-stimulating objects) ought to be treated in the same manner. And that brings right back to the (your) original starting point: the developing mind. We do know that sex and preference in the opposite (or even same) sex can often be traced back to that very stage in a child's life. Should we ignore all of that knowledge when it comes to other characteristics? But I suppose this is where we will never come to an agreement because I suspect that we are at opposite poles on what we consider the fundamental importance (and usage) of weapons.
Your psychology examples are bound by cultural preferences that change in western cultures over single generations.
My parents would not allow swearing, but i allow it in my family. No big deal.
If parents & their children have open logical discussions about thoughts vs overt behaviors within context that ALL innocent people (& non-human animals) deserve respect, then the developing mind will usually have healthy attributes.

No, we do not know the origins of sexual orientation, but specific preferences of attraction are cultural & psychological, e.g., whether a hetero guy finds a woman's body hair attractive.
Differentiating between fantasy play vs real life consequences reflects basic intelligence & emotional stability, whether the fantasy is about weapons or sex.

No, we do not know the origins of sexual orientation ...
I use it only as a footnote, not as my major point.

... but specific preferences of attraction are cultural & psychological
This is my major reference, that I want to acknowledge and carry over to the subject of guns/weapons as theory. Humans form convictions and fetishes during their moments alone, not while under parental supervision. This is why I disagree with your earlier statement about upbringing. Cautioning your children on the danger of firearms weighs very little, compared with a toy gun in the hand of a child who's playing Grand Theft Auto. This experience, (more than your moments of lecturing) is what develops into 'attraction'.

Differentiating between fantasy play vs real life consequences reflects basic intelligence & emotional stability, whether the fantasy is about weapons or sex.
I find that much too over-simplified.

In all fairness, all we have today are theories on the pathogenesis of human sexuality. The theories we find most plausible are usually those that best align with our worldview.

This is my major reference, that I want to acknowledge and carry over to the subject of guns/weapons as theory. Humans form convictions and fetishes during their moments alone, not while under parental supervision. This is why I disagree with your earlier statement about upbringing. Cautioning your children on the danger of firearms weighs very little, compared with a toy gun in the hand of a child who's playing Grand Theft Auto. This experience, (more than your moments of lecturing) is what develops into 'attraction'.
I definitely agree that individual experiences form behavioral patterns (related to activity), but not necessarily dispositional motives in another context.
Depends on the individual, and their overall character.
Some individuals will externalize their game play to real-life situations, and other individuals will not.

Let's not oversimplify the effect of some "environmental" variables on personality development.
:)

I definitely agree that individual experiences form behavioral patterns (related to activity), but not necessarily dispositional motives in another context.
Depends on the individual, and their overall character.
Some individuals will externalize their game play to real-life situations, and other individuals will not.

Let's not oversimplify the effect of some "environmental" variables on personality development.
That degree went right to your head, didn't it?

No, let's not.
check.png

Forum List

Back