What's best for the kids?

• Show them The Way!

Votes: 9 64.3%
  • Let them discover their own way!

Votes: 3 21.4%
  • What? Raise them atheist!

Votes: 2 14.3%

• Total voters
i take it you're from an extremely religious background.

:eusa_shhh:

So you agree with me? Cool!

Actually, my parents sang in a church choir but weren't at all religious. So I know a lot about the bible... but wasn't raised like that.

They couldn't find any where else to sing?

It's not a big deal..but iit sounds unbelievable.:cuckoo:

My mother was a voice teacher and got paid to sing there, you're the cuckoo.:lol:

i take it you're from an extremely religious background.

:eusa_shhh:

Actually, my parents sang in a church choir but weren't at all religious. So I know a lot about the bible... but wasn't raised like that.

i know an intellectual vacuum when i see one. :thup:

And you agree that raising kids in religion is like raising them in an intellectual vacuum.:clap2:

They couldn't find any where else to sing?

It's not a big deal..but iit sounds unbelievable.:cuckoo:

My mother was a voice teacher and got paid to sing there, you're the cuckoo.:lol:

The choirs in many traditional and historical churches are paid, the Episcopalian in my home town, for instance. The choir director is a hedonist, and undoubtedly leading many of the college students in hedonism on Saturday night. They love her, and I have heard them. They are a good choir.

My parents took me to Sunday school every weekend. At about 8-9 years old I was scolded (and my parents were removed from the sermon for said scolding) for asking too many why questions. If an 8 year old can figure out religion is a thinly veiled attempt at brain washing by fear mongering; why are adults so easily brain washed? And both my parent were (are) Atheists too.

My parents took me to Sunday school every weekend. At about 8-9 years old I was scolded (and my parents were removed from the sermon for said scolding) for asking too many why questions. If an 8 year old can figure out religion is a thinly veiled attempt at brain washing by fear mongering; why are adults so easily brain washed? And both my parent were (are) Atheists too.

You and your parents undoubtedly have trouble with authority and authority figures.

You and your parents undoubtedly have trouble with authority and authority figures.

Ignorance is bliss...especially when assuming...

Authority, no. Blind faith and fairy tales, yes.

I think you should lead by example. If you are a regular church-going Christian, then by all means you should take your children to church. I've never met anybody in my entire life, that has been harmed by regular church attendance. If you don't believe in God, attending church, etc., that's fine and that is your right but whatever you choose to do, be intellictually honest about it.

Do we teach our children manners? Do we teach them how to read and write? Do we teach them right from wrong? Do we teach them cleanliness and good habits?

We teach our children many things to help them be well rounded and the best people they can be. WHY wouldn't we raise them in our faith? If we didn't it would be like leaving a rough spot on a polished diamond.

And that is a bad thing?

That's your opinion, and that's fine. What I am stating is that it takes greater blind faith and fairy philosophy to be an atheist than to believe. However, I doubt anyone is making you believe something you don't want to believe.

Last edited:

That's your opinion, and that's fine. What I am stating is that it takes greater blind faith and fairy philosophy to be an atheist than to believe. However, I doubt anyone is making you believe something you don't want to believe.

It takes JUST AS MUCH faith to be an atheist as it does to believe in an invisible superbeing that lives in another dimension. Agnostic is the only possibly thing for an intelligent person to be.

So, I'm going to be an uncle... again.

An interesting debate has come up about raising kids, and whether it is a best bet to raise kids in a particular religious tradition, or inform them and expose them to options and let them choose for themselves.

Now, my brother and I had no choices, particularly. We were baptized and all and before we could remember we were part of a Christian, Catholic tradition. We went to Catholic schools, were alter boys, all of that. I support this approach because I feel that half the purpose of faith is to raise kids in it and expose them to the world through the 'what would Jesus do' perspective.

Going to university, I encountered some of the kids who were wrapping up the quest which my sister-in-law condones. I found many of these folks to have missed the point. The newly-acquainted to faith adult may be beautiful for some, but I would not want my kin to fit that mold, to put it tactfully.

I could be missing something from my brainwashed perspective, and I invite y'all to discuss.
I am always confused when this question arises. It makes no sense to me why anyone of faith would ever come to this crossroads. If you are a typical Christian and believe in heaven and hell then the price for non belief is eternal separation from God, the WORST fate possible to any human being. How could you not raise your children in faith if that is what the outcome is? I do not neglect to teach my children right from wrong because "they should choose that themselves!" Should I not teach my children murder and theft is wrong or let them find that on personal choice? If they end up in jail, oh well that was their choice never mind I never taught them it was wrong.

It is our job as parents to instill our children with morality and values that we ourselves inspire to have. People do not agree on what those are and you cannot and should not shelter your children from the choices out there but you do need to prepare them for those choices. Your children will be exposed to other religions and other moralities but you should have provided them with the tools to face them. In the end, no matter what you have taught them it will be their choice, the difference is whether or not you have given them the tools to make that choice or not.

Hope this helps ;)

Last edited:
I am agnostic, but my son goes to a christian day care, and I am actually going to start going to church again so he can go to sunday school. I loved sunday school and vacation bible school as a child, plus I want my son to make up his own mind. I will also teach him to respect all beliefs.
And next year when he enters pre school I am thinking about sending him to catholic school, until he is in the first grade. The Catholic school system here is great, and it has all day pre school and kindergarten, and it is cheaper than day care. :D

I agree with all that you have communicated, in this good post. :) Way to go.

An interesting debate has come up about raising kids, and whether it is a best bet to raise kids in a particular religious tradition, or inform them and expose them to options and let them choose for themselves.

Now, my brother and I had no choices, particularly. We were baptized and all and before we could remember we were part of a Christian, Catholic tradition. We went to Catholic schools, were alter boys, all of that. I support this approach because I feel that half the purpose of faith is to raise kids in it and expose them to the world through the 'what would Jesus do' perspective.

Going to university, I encountered some of the kids who were wrapping up the quest which my sister-in-law condones. I found many of these folks to have missed the point. The newly-acquainted to faith adult may be beautiful for some, but I would not want my kin to fit that mold, to put it tactfully.

I could be missing something from my brainwashed perspective, and I invite y'all to discuss.
I am always confused when this question arises. It makes no sense to me why anyone of faith would ever come to this crossroads. If you are a typical Christian and believe in heaven and hell then the price for non belief is eternal separation from God, the WORST fate possible to any human being. How could you not raise your children in faith if that is what the outcome is? I do not neglect to teach my children right from wrong because "they should choose that themselves!" Should I not teach my children murder and theft is wrong or let them find that on personal choice? If they end up in jail, oh well that was their choice never mind I never taught them it was wrong.

It is our job as parents to instill our children with morality and values that we ourselves inspire to have. People do not agree on what those are and you cannot and should not shelter your children from the choices out there but you do need to prepare them for those choices. Your children will be exposed to other religions and other moralities but you should have provided them with the tools to face them. In the end, no matter what you have taught them it will be their choice, the difference is whether or not you have given them the tools to make that choice or not.

Hope this helps ;)

I agree with almost all of what you have written, and would supplement it only with making sure the children are also skilled in critical thinking skills so they can recognize their own bias when investigating an issue.

Hope this helps ;)

I agree with almost all of what you have written, and would supplement it only with making sure the children are also skilled in critical thinking skills so they can recognize their own bias when investigating an issue.

+1. Critical thinking is a very important tool and will also help them find and solidify their own beliefs.

Raise them to fear the wrath of an Angry God. Raise them to know why all other religions are stupid and to be avoided at any cost. Spare the Rod and you will spoil the child. Raise them to totally respect authority, especially from their father and mother, and you will have done a darn good thing.

Any weakness in raising children invites the Devil into their lives and can result in their destruction. You will only have yourself to blame if that happens.

Look around you at the soaring crime rates, the abuse of drugs, and giving and taking in marriage and all the other sins that God says he will kill people for if they do not change their ways, and you will know how important it is to raise the Children the correct way.

Hope this helps ;)

+1. Critical thinking is a very important tool and will also help them find and solidify their own beliefs.
to tell you the truth i've never considered the brimstone perspective on it. in defense of the sis-in-law, i think that she would displace the faith-specific elements of spirituality, morality and community with nebulous poly-faith concepts of some kind. one reason why even a brimstoner would have to consider is their spouse in such a debate as this where their opinions are opposed on the matter.

seems illogical, your parental shoulder-shrug to their imprisoned kid, but isn't that the measure of it in this day and age?

Last edited:
Raise them to fear the wrath of an Angry God. Raise them to know why all other religions are stupid and to be avoided at any cost. Spare the Rod and you will spoil the child. Raise them to totally respect authority, especially from their father and mother, and you will have done a darn good thing.

Any weakness in raising children invites the Devil into their lives and can result in their destruction. You will only have yourself to blame if that happens.

Look around you at the soaring crime rates, the abuse of drugs, and giving and taking in marriage and all the other sins that God says he will kill people for if they do not change their ways, and you will know how important it is to raise the Children the correct way.

*shudder*

welcome back neubarth.

It takes JUST AS MUCH faith to be an atheist as it does to believe in an invisible superbeing that lives in another dimension. Agnostic is the only possibly thing for an intelligent person to be.
i dont follow your logic with that.

Forum List

Back