Raised-bed gardening

Thanks, Mr. R., but fuck that shit. If she wants to grow food she can join the community garden project here in town. My "to-do" list is full enough as it is.

Damn house needs painted too. I'm already looking at an $840/month deficit thanks to ACA.

Mrs. H. wants one in the back yard. I found some good plans for a simple 4'x8' bed.
Redwood or cedar are recommended but that shit's mighty expensive. Preserved lumber is to be avoided since it will interact with the soil.

Anybody make/use these?

It's late in the season so maybe I can put it off until spring LOL.

I use old pallets. You can actually leave them intact or break the wood slats apart and use them like that. They're priced right (free if you look around), so replacing the wood when necessary is easy. I also make composting bins out of pallets.

Thanks, Mr. R., but fuck that shit. If she wants to grow food she can join the community garden project here in town. My "to-do" list is full enough as it is.

Damn house needs painted too. I'm already looking at an $840/month deficit thanks to ACA.

Not a problem. It did remind me that I can use that material to build retaining walls. :thup:

Well, I shouldn't say "damn house". I love this place. I was told Burl Ives once lived here while attending the local university. Re-fied the mortgage to a 15 year plan at 2.6%. Can't beat that shit with a stick.

It's a joy using raised beds. Put in over a hundred 'Dragon Tongue' bush beans this summer and almost drowned in them. Maybe next year I'll try building some 4' cedar ones.

Forum List

Back