Raid In Somalia: U.S. Military Frees Hostages Held Since October

Lakhota

Diamond Member
Jul 14, 2011
Native America
r-OVERNIGHT-RAID-IN-SOMALIA-large570.jpg

By ABDI GULED and KATHARINE HOURELD

MOGADISHU, Somalia -- U.S. military forces flew in helicopters under the cover of darkness on a raid into Somalia early Wednesday and freed an American and a Dane held hostage, Western officials said. Pirates reported a gun battle with several casualties.

The Danish Refugee Council confirmed that hostages Jessica Buchanan – an American – and Poul Hagan Thisted – a Dane – were freed "during an operation in Somalia."

An official told The Associated Press that the raid was carried out by U.S. military forces. A second official said the helicopters and the hostages landed at a U.S. base in the tiny East African nation of Djibouti after the raid. Both officials spoke on condition of anonymity because the information had not been released publicly.

Maj. Kelly Cahalan, a military spokeswoman at U.S. Africa Command in Stuttgart, Germany, said she had no information on the reported raid. A spokeswoman at the Pentagon had no immediate comment.

The two hostages had been held in Somalia since October. The Danish Refugee Council said both are unharmed "and at a safe location."

A pirate who gave his name as Bilal Hussein said he had spoken to pirates at the scene of the raid and they reported that nine pirates had been killed. A second pirate who gave his name as Ahmed Hashi said two helicopters attacked at about 2 a.m. at the site where the hostages were being held about 20 kilometers (12 miles) north of the Somali town of Adow.

Raid In Somalia: U.S. Military Frees Hostages Held Since October

Yes, I know the troops did the work. But I give Obama credit for authorizing the mission. We all know if the mission had failed, Obama would have gotten the blame.

What in the hell are we doing in somalia. Oh, that's right oil.

There's no oil there....but there is an opportunity to grab the headlines.

dang... libtards tell us everytime we go to the middle east/africa it's to to pillage, plunder, kill maime,, and steal their oil..

There is uranium there.....but outside of that there isn't anything we can steal.

Matter of fact, if we nuked the place most of their neighbors would cheer it.

It makes Mexico look downright cosmopolitan.

Yes, I know the troops did the work. But I give Obama credit for authorizing the mission. We all know if the mission had failed, Obama would have gotten the blame.

Anyone with a brain credits him for authorizing the mission.... and no one with a brain would blame him had it failed. Only irrational fools use these missions for political capital.

But... the guys on the ground did the heavy lifting.. so my admiration goes to them, not the President.... and I'd say the same thing no matter which party the President represents.

Anyone with a brain credits him for authorizing the mission.... and no one with a brain would blame him had it failed. Only irrational fools use these missions for political capital.

But... the guys on the ground did the heavy lifting.. so my admiration goes to them, not the President.... and I'd say the same thing no matter which party the President represents.

Very good. So, you're suggesting that President Obama wouldn't have been blamed had the Osama bin Laden mission failed? Are you also suggesting that no one blamed President Carter for the failed Iranian hostage mission in 1980?

Forum List

Back