Rahm Emanuel Named Chief of Staff

jillian

Princess
Apr 4, 2006
The Other Side of Paradise
(CNN) -- U.S. Rep. Rahm Emanuel will bring a "tough-minded" and "pragmatic" approach to the White House when he becomes President-elect Barack Obama's chief of staff, according to people who know the Chicago, Illinois, native.

Emanuel, a former top aide to President Clinton, has accepted the position in the new administration, Obama confirmed in a statement Thursday.

"I announce this appointment first because the chief of staff is central to the ability of a president and administration to accomplish an agenda," Obama said. "And no one I know is better at getting things done than Rahm Emanuel."

In the job, Emanuel would oversee the White House staff. The chief of staff is usually involved in all the major decisions that the president makes and is responsible for making sure the administration carries out the president's wishes. Watch Emanuel call himself "fortunate" »

The chief of staff also often is involved in negotiations with congressional leaders when major legislation is under consideration.[/QUOTE]

Emanuel expected to bring 'tough-minded' approach to White House - CNN.com

(CNN) -- U.S. Rep. Rahm Emanuel will bring a "tough-minded" and "pragmatic" approach to the White House when he becomes President-elect Barack Obama's chief of staff, according to people who know the Chicago, Illinois, native.

Emanuel, a former top aide to President Clinton, has accepted the position in the new administration, Obama confirmed in a statement Thursday.

"I announce this appointment first because the chief of staff is central to the ability of a president and administration to accomplish an agenda," Obama said. "And no one I know is better at getting things done than Rahm Emanuel."

In the job, Emanuel would oversee the White House staff. The chief of staff is usually involved in all the major decisions that the president makes and is responsible for making sure the administration carries out the president's wishes. Watch Emanuel call himself "fortunate" »

The chief of staff also often is involved in negotiations with congressional leaders when major legislation is under consideration.

Emanuel expected to bring 'tough-minded' approach to White House - CNN.com[/QUOTE]

According to the Cook County Assessor's website, the Chicago home of four-term Democrat Congressman and likely new White House Chief of Staff, Rahm Emanuel, doesn't exist. While the address of 4228 North Hermitage is listed as Emanuel's residence on the Illinois State Board of Elections' website, there seems to be no public record of Emanuel ever paying property taxes on this home.

The Cook County Assessor's and Cook County Treasurer's online records indicate Emanuel's Chicago neighbors pay between $3,500 and $7,000 annually. However, Illinois Review has been unable to locate any evidence that the former Clinton advisor and investment banker is paying his fair share of Cook County's notoriously high tax burden.

Emanuel and Rule declared their 4228 North Hermitage home as the office location for their personal non-profit foundation called the "Rahm Emanuel and Amy Rule Charitable Foundation". As the non-profit's headquarters, their home could be exempt from paying property taxes. Source * Illinois review

EMANUEL: “The Most Important Questions Are ‘What Did Republican Leadership Know’ And ‘When Did They Know It?’” (Christi Parsons, “GOP Leaders Defend Handling Of Page Scandal,” Chicago Tribune, 10/1/06)

ABC NEWS: “Senior Democratic Leaders In The House Of Representatives, Including Rep. Rahm Emanuel (D-Il) … Have Been Working With Mahoney To Keep The Matter From Hurting His Re-Election Campaign, The Mahoney Staffers Said.” (Emma Schwartz, Rhonda Schwartz, And Vic Walter, “Congressman's $121,000 Payoff To Alleged Mistress,” ABC News, 10/13/08)

The Chicago congressman and chairman of the House Democratic Caucus has been described in the past as a profane, hyperactive attack dog-- Time Magazine

Last night Illinois Rep. Rahm Emanuel — who’s vying with his brother for the mantle of the pushiest Emanuel — turned in a squeamishly embarrassing performance on the Daily Show. The gem of the evening came when Emanuel joined the Christian Action Network, the National Enquirer, and Ed Klein in insinuating or claiming that Hillary Clinton is a lesbian. At the end of Emanuel’s extended (and tortured) riff about Bush’s attempts to compare himself with FDR, Stewart joked that the Democrats’ plan seemed to be exhuming the 32nd president, to which Emanuel replied:

“Well, Hillary’s helping us with the Eleanor part.”

The fact is, Bush's war policy has failed. It's failed! Who better to say so than Jack Murtha?
Rahm Emanuel

Voted YES on removing oil & gas exploration subsidies.
Voted YES on keeping moratorium on drilling for oil offshore.
Voted NO on scheduling permitting for new oil refinieries.
Voted NO on authorizing construction of new oil refineries.
Voted NO on deterring foreign arms transfers to China.

As the head of the Democratic Caucus this man is a highly partisan Democrat as his record proves over and over. His most famous quote is "fuc* all republicans" which he is famous for uttering at a meeting of the Demcratic Caucus in 2006 after the Democrats won the House and Senate back. If this choice is any indication of how President-Elect Obama will govern it does not appear it will be from the center. However, I can see where he would pick someone like Emanuel to keep the Democrats in congress from trying to steam roll Obama as well.

it's funny, cuz on Morning Joe today they were talking like Rahm had turned down the job and claiming it was Obama's first bumble? :lol: more con spin I guess cuz I know Joe is a Repub.

that makes sense to me. Another Democrat who screeches hate. Another chicago thug.. perfect.

what difference does it make to you Willow? he's not your president anyway? You live in Willowland....where you have no president and no country to speak of.

it's funny, cuz on Morning Joe today they were talking like Rahm had turned down the job and claiming it was Obama's first bumble? :lol: more con spin I guess cuz I know Joe is a Repub.

what difference does it make to you Willow? he's not your president anyway? You live in Willowland....where you have no president and no country to speak of.

Didn't you hear the news on Fox?

ALL of this is just a big conspiracy,

JUST TO PISS WILLOW OFF!!!!!!!!!!!! :rofl:

Pretty sure Joe meant Lugar, who did turn down a cabinet post, I believe.

emanuel is a doer...he get s the job done and isn't as liberal as one would think....he is the one that got Democrats to win out in 2006 but if memory serves me he did this by putting in a new bunch of CONSERVATIVE leaning Democrats as candidates to beat the Republicans...is my understanding of him....but, we will see...

care

A hard ass chief of staff....good choice Obama.

Also having Podesta help with the transition team is a good choice as well.

Now Colin Powell for Secretary of Defense and Bill Clinton for Secretary of State.

I can see Bill now......

"I look forward to meeting with Mrs. Sarkozy."

Last edited:
emanuel is a doer...he get s the job done and isn't as liberal as one would think....he is the one that got Democrats to win out in 2006 but if memory serves me he did this by putting in a new bunch of CONSERVATIVE leaning Democrats as candidates to beat the Republicans...is my understanding of him....but, we will see...

care

Rahmbo was the most important figure in the beating democrats gave to republicans in 2006. He did this by seeking out moderate democrats, he wanted to move away from the ultra liberal indentity democrats have. He is a political shark and can fend off the pulling from the left and the right.

Don't make me neg rep you, Kirk

:cool:

Hey, you know I have great respect for you.

The inside the campaign stuff in that article was fascinating to me. You won't see that on the nightly news.

According to the Cook County Assessor's website, the Chicago home of four-term Democrat Congressman and likely new White House Chief of Staff, Rahm Emanuel, doesn't exist. While the address of 4228 North Hermitage is listed as Emanuel's residence on the Illinois State Board of Elections' website, there seems to be no public record of Emanuel ever paying property taxes on this home.[/QUOTE]

Hey, Navy... please post the link to the rightwing stuff... I'm afraid I'm not finding the seth mnookin blog overly convincing.

As for the votes...yeah, and?

you know he's a democrat, right?

According to the Cook County Assessor's website, the Chicago home of four-term Democrat Congressman and likely new White House Chief of Staff, Rahm Emanuel, doesn't exist. While the address of 4228 North Hermitage is listed as Emanuel's residence on the Illinois State Board of Elections' website, there seems to be no public record of Emanuel ever paying property taxes on this home.

Hey, Navy... please post the link to the rightwing stuff... I'm afraid I'm not finding the seth mnookin blog overly convincing.

As for the votes...yeah, and?

you know he's a democrat, right?[/QUOTE]

Jillian I think I did mention the source of the tax issue if not I will try to find it again, as for all the others they are available on any congressional search. I also think I mentioned that he was the head of the Deomcratic Caucus on the Hill. So yes, I am aware that he is a democrat, the point of the post is to illustrate that Emanuel is a highly partisan democrat and not anywhere near the *Change* that as it appears on the surface. I also think I mentioned that I can see why he picked him as well, and that was more to keep democrats from trying to steam roll the new President which makes complete sense to me. As for not being convincing because data is posted it one site or another does not automatically discount it as being incorrect, if you wish you may look it up in the State of IL. tax records as well. I will however get you a link to both if you wish? However my post had two points and I don't believe I was calling into question he was not a democrat.

Jillian I think I did mention the source of the tax issue if not I will try to find it again, as for all the others they are available on any congressional search. I also think I mentioned that he was the head of the Deomcratic Caucus on the Hill. So yes, I am aware that he is a democrat, the point of the post is to illustrate that Emanuel is a highly partisan democrat and not anywhere near the *Change* that as it appears on the surface. I also think I mentioned that I can see why he picked him as well, and that was more to keep democrats from trying to steam roll the new President which makes complete sense to me. As for not being convincing because data is posted it one site or another does not automatically discount it as being incorrect, if you wish you may look it up in the State of IL. tax records as well. I will however get you a link to both if you wish? However my post had two points and I don't believe I was calling into question he was not a democrat.

I see where you're going. But the truth is, Emanuel is a middle of the road dem from a middle of the country state. He knows his way around the white house and Obama doesn't want

I suspect you'll see your "bipartisanship" on issues like the treasury, the fed and the CIA. He was elected to do a particular job and working across the aisle does not mean pursuing Bush's agenda. That was the whole point of voting the republicans out of power. I would also look to the stem cell research bill being put on the table fairly quickly. That was voted for by bi=partisan vote but was vetoed by Bush to appease the religious right.

Obama isn't Bush light. He will choose his battles, but I think he's proven he's pretty much his own person. If it makes you happy, though, I think you'll see him smack down Nancy Pelosi with some frequency. She's already proven herself weak... hence a strong chief of staff to strongarm her.

As for the innuendo from the blog... sorry. I don't like blogs left or right.

On one final note: Obama did not win by 5 or 10 electoral votes. He pummeled McCain in the EV's and the dems are waiting to find out if we have a 58, 59 or 60 seat Senate. And the people who voted for him really like him. They will give him leeway and want him to succeed. They'll hold his feet to the fire, but he also doesn't have to cowtow. So, I expect you'll see him a bit bolder than you'd expect. I don't think, FWIW, that that means reckless... it doesn't seem to be his personality.

I see where you're going. But the truth is, Emanuel is a middle of the road dem from a middle of the country state. He knows his way around the white house and Obama doesn't want

I suspect you'll see your "bipartisanship" on issues like the treasury, the fed and the CIA. He was elected to do a particular job and working across the aisle does not mean pursuing Bush's agenda. That was the whole point of voting the republicans out of power. I would also look to the stem cell research bill being put on the table fairly quickly. That was voted for by bi=partisan vote but was vetoed by Bush to appease the religious right.

Obama isn't Bush light. He will choose his battles, but I think he's proven he's pretty much his own person. If it makes you happy, though, I think you'll see him smack down Nancy Pelosi with some frequency. She's already proven herself weak... hence a strong chief of staff to strongarm her.

As for the innuendo from the blog... sorry. I don't like blogs left or right.

While I agree with you on the keeping the Democrats in line on the hill , he has a long record of doing so. I believe that my original post indicates that.. As for the inuendo , it's simply a matter of record that Mr. Emanuel does not pay taxes on his home and lists it as his business address. Now if someone wishes to read that as being something that is not legitimate then Jillian I didn't editorialize. Anyone can go to those sites and look to see if he paid the taxes on his property or not. You can do that in any county in the country just about. As for his political leanings, he has been traditionally alingned on fiscal issues with the center-right part of the democrat party. However, his social voting record is very left. Again anyone can go to Project-Vote smart and look. I am not claiming that Rahm Emanuel is the second comming of Hurricane Katrina lol What I am claiming though is that this appointment makes sense from a strategic standpoint as far as Obama is concerned but as far as the message that it sends about changing the climate in Washington Jillian is reaching at best.

Emanuel has maintained a 100 percent pro-choice voting record and is generally liberal on social issues. He has aligned himself with the center-right of the Democratic Party, the Democratic Leadership Council.

Emanuel held a seat on the quasi-governmental Freddie Mac board, which paid him $231,655 in director’s fees in 2001 and $31,060 in 2000...During the time Emanuel spent on the board, Freddie Mac was plagued with scandal involving campaign contributions and accounting irregularities…" [32]

A 2006 Chicago Tribune article raised speculation regarding a possible connection between Emanuel's Congressional election success and convicted former Chicago water department boss Don Tomczak.[32]

USA Today reported in late January 2007 that Emanuel failed to disclose that he was an officer of a family charity, a violation of law requiring members of Congress to report non-profit leadership roles. The charity does not ask for outside donations and is funded by Emanuel and his family

Rahm Emanuel - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

He and his wife's business is the chairty by the way, and this is the reason they don't pay taxes on the home.

Forum List

Back