Rahm back on...

For the little people the rules they be.

That dickhead cant take his own medicine.

He had others knocked off ballots to win elections as well. Its part of Chicago politics.

I hate the hypocracy he exhibits.... talk about transparency. Yep, I can see right thru them.

The Illinois Supreme Court has just issued a stay of the appeals court's order knocking Rahm Emanuel off the ballot and directing the Chicago Board of Election Commissioners to restore his name to the ballot.

First Read - Ill. court issues stay; Rahm back on the ballot

To hell with the rules!

I kind of figured they'd pull a Lautenberg on them....

I wasn't surprised either. I figure if they elect him, they deserve him.

Chicago; nice place to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there.

Well I am certainly no Rahm Emmanuel fan, but last night, I read the opinion, for and against, of the appeals court and, while I am no attorney or particularly skilled in legal language, I could not see how he was ineligible.

If he had been sent by an Illinois firm overseas on government business on a 2-year project or if he had been in the military, it would not have affected his eligibility. He maintained an Illinois drivers license with his chicago address for the entire two years, he went back to Chicago to vote, and he owned and maintained a permanent residence in Chicago even though, on advice of his insurance company, he did lease it out for awhile on a temporary lease contract. He even bought additional property adjacent to his residence in Chicago during the time he was in Washington. He was on record as agreeing to an 18 month or so tour of duty in the Obama administration and then he intended to return home. He rented his Washington resident on a short term lease.

I know its splitting hairs and all that, but it just feels unreasonable that a person would lose residency status in this situation.

And apparently the Illinois Supreme Court is reading it the same way I did.

Or they are all leftist puppets willing to overlook fine points of the law in favor of a favorite son.

Could go either way. :)

694208_dead_fish.jpg

Well I am certainly no Rahm Emmanuel fan, but last night, I read the opinion, for and against, of the appeals court and, while I am no attorney or particularly skilled in legal language, I could not see how he was ineligible.

If he had been sent by an Illinois firm overseas on government business on a 2-year project or if he had been in the military, it would not have affected his eligibility. He maintained an Illinois drivers license with his chicago address for the entire two years, he went back to Chicago to vote, and he owned and maintained a permanent residence in Chicago even though, on advice of his insurance company, he did lease it out for awhile on a temporary lease contract. He even bought additional property adjacent to his residence in Chicago during the time he was in Washington. He was on record as agreeing to an 18 month or so tour of duty in the Obama administration and then he intended to return home. He rented his Washington resident on a short term lease.

I know its splitting hairs and all that, but it just feels unreasonable that a person would lose residency status in this situation.

Or they are all leftist puppets willing to overlook fine points of the law in favor of a favorite son.

The thing is.... Rahm has pulled the same shinanigans on his oponents in the past.

Hell... look up his "dead fish" incident.

He's no angel. :evil:

The thing is.... Rahm has pulled the same shinanigans on his oponents in the past.

But these facts should not preclude him from running.

The question to his eligibility will boil down to how they define the word "reside" as it applies to the state/municipal eligibility rules.

What do you expect with anything related to Chicago Syndicate politics???

No he isn't and as I said, I am not a fan. But face it, we all are subject to a basic human condition to enjoy it when somebody we hold in contempt 'gets his comeuppance' or some such as that whether we admit it or not.

I'll admit I smiled when I first heard Rahm got booted off the ballot.

But there is the practical side too that objects to application of law one way to those you dislike and a different way to those you like. And I think the appeals court probably did get it wrong this time and the initial ruling and the Supremes' stay is correct.

A pity.

Look at it this way. If he is back on the ballot and declared eligible to serve, the Chicago machine will be sure he is elected.

And then if he governs in Chicago the way he encouraged President Obama to govern in Washington, we will soon be validated that his ways are not what we should embrace. :)

No he isn't and as I said, I am not a fan. But face it, we all are subject to a basic human condition to enjoy it when somebody we hold in contempt 'gets his comeuppance' or some such as that whether we admit it or not.

But there is the practical side too that objects to application of law one way to those you dislike and a different way to those you like. And I think the appeals court probably did get it wrong this time and the initial ruling and the Supremes' stay is correct.

A pity.

Residency is not the equivalent of owning property. It's very clear that Rahm moved out of his house, rented it out, and lived in the DC area.

But then, we know that Rahm is of the mind that definitions are malleable based on the expediency of the moment.

The Illinois Supreme Court has just issued a stay of the appeals court's order knocking Rahm Emanuel off the ballot and directing the Chicago Board of Election Commissioners to restore his name to the ballot.

First Read - Ill. court issues stay; Rahm back on the ballot

To hell with the rules!

I kind of figured they'd pull a Lautenberg on them....

I wasn't surprised either. I figure if they elect him, they deserve him.

Chicago; nice place to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there.

Actually, Chicago....not a nice place. And, I wouldn't want to live there.

I didn't want to leave a cent of my money in that bastion of corruption.

Last edited:

A pity.

He was not a resident of Chicago, he rented out his place. Where was he registered to vote? Are we a Nation of Laws??? Don't answer that. The Laws were never meant for the Elite? Silver Spooned Prima Donna.

Something tells me that if he is elected we will see him in a prison jumpsuit in 3 years. :eusa_think:

A pity.

Residency is not the equivalent of owning property. It's very clear that Rahm moved out of his house, rented it out, and lived in the DC area.

But then, we know that Rahm is of the mind that definitions are malleable based on the expediency of the moment.

Believe me I am sympathetic to that point of view. But again, while reading the entire written opinion, I knew in my heart that if I was reading about somebody I didn't know or about somebody I liked, I would see Rahm's opinion and that of the original election board as the more valid one.

Just keeping it real here.

Forum List

Back