Rage on the Right

Yes they spent millions of dollars on actual products and goods.(tanks,planes. Trucks, Jeeps,ammo,uniforms. etc) Which served as a direct massive stimulus to the economy.

Not millions of dollars on cooperate bail outs, and tax credits to people who do not even pay fed income tax, and other pork ladened social spending programs.

FDR's new deal policies came well before the war, and were a hamper on recovering from the Depression. Only time, and yes a world war actually got us out of the depression.

There are many facilities that the WPA and CCC built here in Oregon that are still used on a daily basis. Very real products and goods. And why would not a program building a distributed grid, and the alternative energy sources, not be the same as building tanks and planes?

There are many facilities that the WPA and CCC built here in Oregon that are still used on a daily basis. Very real products and goods. And why would not a program building a distributed grid, and the alternative energy sources, not be the same as building tanks and planes?

I would be, that is one small part of Obama's plan that has some merit.

Most of what he says he wants to do is not.

Besides with WWII what really helped the economy was jobs. All of the sudden you had 14 million men employed by the Military, and then many of their wives back home found work in factories making the goods of war.

Nothing Obama is talking about is going to have such a direct effect on the economy as that did.

Besides I am afraid, regardless of Obama's intentions politics will make what ever plan they eventually come up with, Laden with pork, and ineffective at what they want it to do. Stimulate our economy.

The main difference being back then the money was spent through private enterprise, where as much of What obama wants to do is government welfare basically.

However we should stop comparing this time to the depression in the first place. Things may be bad now, but they are nothing like then.

I am sorry then you had massive lines for food, today we have massive lines for the newest Blackberry.

We have a long way to fall before this will be anything like then.

The Media is making this out to be worse then it is. Maybe not intentionally but that is how it comes out.

Take today for example.

All sorts of news organizations are reporting we lost 675000 jobs last month, and saying it is the worst job loss since 1945. People hear that and it scares the hell out of them, they spend less and things get worse.

Not one News Outlet I heard reported this news with context. If one was being honest when they said it was the worst single month job loss since 1945 they would have to point out that in 1945 we had FAR LESS total jobs, and there for losing over 650000 back then was far more dramatic and hurtful to our economy than losing 675000 today. What is the % of jobs lost that is the question.

Last edited:
I would be, that is one small part of Obama's plan that has some merit.

Most of what he says he wants to do is not.

Besides with WWII what really helped the economy was jobs. All of the sudden you had 14 million men employed by the Military, and then many of their wives back home found work in factories making the goods of war.

Nothing Obama is talking about is going to have such a direct effect on the economy as that did.

Besides I am afraid, regardless of Obama's intentions politics will make what ever plan they eventually come up with, Laden with pork, and ineffective at what they want it to do. Stimulate our economy.

The main difference being back then the money was spent through private enterprise, where as much of What obama wants to do is government welfare basically.

However we should stop comparing this time to the depression in the first place. Things may be bad now, but they are nothing like then.

I am sorry then you had massive lines for food, today we have massive lines for the newest Blackberry.

We have a long way to fall before this will be anything like then.

The Media is making this out to be worse then it is. Maybe not intentionally but that is how it comes out.

Take today for example.

All sorts of news organizations are reporting we lost 675000 jobs last month, and saying it is the worst job loss since 1945. People hear that and it scares the hell out of them, they spend less and things get worse.

Not one News Outlet I heard reported this news with context. If one was being honest when they said it was the worst single month job loss since 1945 they would have to point out that in 1945 we had FAR LESS total jobs, and there for losing over 650000 back then was far more dramatic and hurtful to our economy than losing 675000 today. What is the % of jobs lost that is the question.

The monthly job loss rate to equal the deep recession of 82-83 would have to get to about 1.3 million per month. To equal 1932, percentage-wise would have to get to almost 4,000,000. We are 545,000 right now. We are a LOOOOOONNNNGGGG way from even being close to our worst post-depression recession, much less a real DEPRESSION. But to read some idiots here you;d think we entered a full depression months ago.

Recessions are VERY GOOD for the economic health of the country, BTW. They are just very unpopular for politicians

Last edited:
The monthly job loss rate to equal the deep recession of 82-83 would have to get to about 1.3 million per month. To equal 1932, percentage-wise would have to get to almost 4,000,000. We are 545,000 right now. We are a LOOOOOONNNNGGGG way from even being close to our worst post-depression recession, much less a real DEPRESSION. But to read some idiots here you;d think we entered a full depression months ago.

exactly and by making it out to be far worse than it is, they make it worse. After all so much of our economy is about perception and confidence. Keep saying it is that bad, and it will be.

Forum List

Back