Rage Grips Pakistan Over NATO Attack...

Discussion in 'Middle East - General' started by paulitician, Nov 27, 2011.

1. paulitician

paulitician Platinum Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,976
    Pakistan blocks U.S. supplies, orders drone base closed after NATO raid.

KARACHI, Pakistan -- Pakistan on Saturday blocked supply routes for U.S.-led troops in Afghanistan and announced it would end the use of a Pakistani airbase by American forces, in retaliation for a NATO attack on a Pakistani border outpost that officials said killed at least 24 soldiers and injured another 13.

American forces were given 15 days to vacate the remote Shamsi airbase, which was secretly turned over to them after the 9/11 attacks. The decision to order the Americans out followed an emergency meeting of Pakistan's top civilian and military leadership late Saturday to decide how to respond to the deaths of the soldiers.

Shamsi was used for launching the war in Afghanistan in late 2001, then later served as the base for the U.S. drone program targeting militants. Set in desert in sparsely populated Baluchistan province in Pakistan's west region, the airbase became highly controversial within Pakistan for its association with drone strikes, which Pakistan officially condemns.

The decision to expel the Americans, made by the country's leadership meeting as the Defense Committee of the Cabinet,was an admission that Shamsi remains in American use.

Read more: Pakistan blocks U.S. supplies, orders drone base closed after NATO raid - World Wires - MiamiHerald.com

2. paulitician

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,976
    Is War with Pakistan in our future?

3. R.C. Christian

R.C. Christian Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,195
    Excellent news.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  4. paulitician

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,976
    It could be. Stay tuned.

5. Matthew

Matthew Blue dog all the way!

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15,200
    Imagine if Pakistan, Iran and Afighastan(yes the government of that nation said it would stand with Pakistan if it came to war) all joined together against the US. That would be enough to pull in China or Russia into this war? This isn't good at all!

6. occupied

occupied Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,765
    We will give them a load of money, grease the correct palms, and this will blow over like the other times.

7. zzzz

zzzz Just a regular American

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +429
    We cannot afford to continue fighting in that region. If we were to allow ourselves to get into another conflict the cost just in money would cause our economy to tank and the cost in lives and maimed Americans is just unfathomable. Let the Indians play counterweight to Pakistan like they have for many years. The sooner we get out of that area the better.

We have interests in the Persian Gulf so we have to maintain a presence there but in 'stan region?

8. paulitician

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,976
    I tend to think we will smooth this over by throwing some more cash & weapons at em. But i still think big problems are brewing over there. We may have over-stayed our welcome. I guess we'll see though.

9. Mr. H.

Mr. H. Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15,395
  10. jillian

jillian Princess Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22,434
    i'm going to agree with michelle about something. i hope the shock to my body afterwards doesn't make me swallow my tongue or have seizures...

but pakistan has nukes. (unfortunately). if those nukes go to the wrong people, that can affect us here. while i think we need to be largely out of afghanistan and iraq, we have to maintain a presence in the area.