Radio Work Video: The Tower Climb...

Elegant, from a more civilized time.

Gatesdiplomatsmall.jpg

Elegant, from a more civilized time.

Gatesdiplomatsmall.jpg

Dial pots were definitely harder to deal with, and did not give you the ability to control more than four at a time.

Used to use rubber-bands strapped between two of them to do an elegant cross-fade segue while bring something else on simultaneously.

Oh, and the tower pic I just posted......it's in Atlanta. Yeah. High up in the sky where you're too scared to go, "RadiomanATL".

You make REAL radio men like my dad and his ham buddies look bad......so STFU.

Real AMATEUR radio men, right?

The guy in your pic isn't even at 200 feet. The guys in the video didn't get out of the elevator until they were over 1400, then climbed the last 300 freestyle.

They eat guys like your dad and his buddy for breakfast, and shit them out by lunch.

From 1700 feet.

That is SO fucking funny.

If you only KNEW who that guy in the pictures is, you woudln't say that.

Hell, if it weren't for him, none of us would even BE on this site, or any other. He's a world renowned inventor and scientist who invented and brought the original PC modem to mass production, dipshit.

You aren't qualified to breathe his air, much less talk smack about him.

And I grew up with him sitting at the dinner table shooting the breeze with my dad over radios and inventions and crap.

This guy is a multi-millionaire from his "amateur radio" and other electronic inventions. He never has to work another day in his life....EVER.....and it's cuz he's one smart cookie.

You farking crack me up.... :rofl:

Didn't need to work four pots at a time. One for each turntable, and two or three for your cart machines, unless all your music was on cart, then you had more, or you were probably using a board with slide pots by then.

You could leave your pots up for your spots, since a competent engineer would not be caught dead dubbing them with a "burp" on the end.

Voice tracking has really made robots out of talent.

Didn't need to work four pots at a time. One for each turntable, and two or three for your cart machines, unless all your music was on cart, then you had more, or you were probably using a board with slide pots by then.

You could leave your pots up for your spots, since a competent engineer would not be caught dead dubbing them with a "burp" on the end.

Slides are better.

I wouldn't say that VT'ing has made robots out of the talent. Just that VT'ing has removed the talent from the talent. Hell, when you can recut the same damn break as many times as you want in order to get it "right", then there's not much point in it.

Oh, and the tower pic I just posted......it's in Atlanta. Yeah. High up in the sky where you're too scared to go, "RadiomanATL".

The guy in your pic isn't even at 200 feet. The guys in the video didn't get out of the elevator until they were over 1400, then climbed the last 300 freestyle.

They eat guys like your dad and his buddy for breakfast, and shit them out by lunch.

From 1700 feet.

Those guys are CANNIBALS???

And why do they have to climb so high just to shit?

From 1700 feet.

Those guys are CANNIBALS???

And why do they have to climb so high just to shit?

Cuz' they're waaaaaaaaaay instain.

As a technician that does radio work the following will show you why alot of us prefer to stay on the ground and watch these guys put up the antennas that make our systems work...from a safe distance...looking UP.

What follows is an extrondinary look at a rather exclusive club of quite brave (and crazy) men that perform a task that most of us would never even consider...

...Hang on to your hats...and cookies...

PLAY VIDEO

WARNING!! If you are queazy, or don't like heights? You might not wish to view this video!

Meh. My dad is a ham radio operator. The tower he had up next to our house when I was a kid could be seen from three counties away, and pissed off a LOT of people because they caught his signal on their rabbit ears (this was back before cable TV).

My dad put the tower up himself over the course of a couple of weekends. Thank goodness my parents had a huge lot, the guy wires were massive. My dad STILL (at 73) climbs his tower and fiddles with his attennae at will. He scares the beeezus out of Mom, but he's a happy happy man, even if he falls from the tower and dies, he'll die happy.

That tower we had growing up made a WONDERFUL escape system for me and my siblings once we were teens. When the 'rents were in bed late at night, we'd tippy toe down the hall to the bathroom, climb out onto the garage roof, walk down to the tower, climb down the tower, and down the hill to meet friends and go out hell raising.

Worked out really good until the 'rents caught on. Last time I did it, I came home at 4 am, climbed up the tower, tried to open the bathroom window and found it locked. Had to ring the bell to get in (and my 'rents *never* locked doors or windows back then). I found two really really seriously pissed off parents waiting for me in the living room. To say I was grounded was an understatement....I think I'm STILL grounded.

Ah, such good memories, those are! :))

Thanks for bringing this subject up. I needed some cheery thoughts this evening! :D

Been one for 34 years. Been in radio that long myself.

Also ten years with the USAF in radio...The rest with Motorola.

Last edited:

Slides are better.

I wouldn't say that VT'ing has made robots out of the talent. Just that VT'ing has removed the talent from the talent. Hell, when you can recut the same damn break as many times as you want in order to get it "right", then there's not much point in it.

Knobs are retro.

It was cool to be able to touch that stuff for the first time, because nobody had that stuff in their homes. Slides and drag and drop VT applications look like a lot of home version tools.

Last edited:

Slides are better.

Knobs are retro.

But so much FUN. Hell? I learned this radio stuff when vacuum tubes were still in vogue...

Forum List

Back