Radio Shack Closes

gipper

Diamond Member
Jan 8, 2011
A good example of brick and mortar stores dying, due to the new economy and a failed business model. They were big once...

RadioShack, closing 1,000 stores, leaves only these 70
Chris Woodyard , USA TODAYPublished 11:43 p.m. ET May 31, 2017 | Updated 3:51 p.m. ET June 1, 2017

In its heyday, Fort Worth-based RadioShack had 7,300 stores and could claim that it had a store within three miles of 95% of all American households. It was a regular stop for consumers for all nature of electronics — from stereos to walkie talkies. It also became a regular stop for incidental items like cables or antennae to hook up a TV set, batteries for toys or transistor radios or early laptop computers like the TRS-80.

But like so many other retailers, it has become a victim of the Internet. Now, when people need electronic gear, more than ever they turn to online retailers.

RadioShack began in Boston in 1921.

As for the RadioShack authorized dealers, many appear similar to the company owned stores, having stocked RadioShack-branded merchandise. Others differ by carrying items that wouldn't be found in the company-owned stores.

A good example of brick and mortar stores dying, due to the new economy and a failed business model. They were big once...

Chris Woodyard , USA TODAYPublished 11:43 p.m. ET May 31, 2017 | Updated 3:51 p.m. ET June 1, 2017

In its heyday, Fort Worth-based RadioShack had 7,300 stores and could claim that it had a store within three miles of 95% of all American households. It was a regular stop for consumers for all nature of electronics — from stereos to walkie talkies. It also became a regular stop for incidental items like cables or antennae to hook up a TV set, batteries for toys or transistor radios or early laptop computers like the TRS-80.

But like so many other retailers, it has become a victim of the Internet. Now, when people need electronic gear, more than ever they turn to online retailers.

As for the RadioShack authorized dealers, many appear similar to the company owned stores, having stocked RadioShack-branded merchandise. Others differ by carrying items that wouldn't be found in the company-owned stores.
I've watched them dying for several years now. Not sure why their business model differs from Best Buy, but, yes, the Internet does adversely affect brick-and-mortar stores. Walmart is struggling with that now and trying to add a major Internet-retail section.

I remember when Radio Shack was one of the first to come out with a home computer; the TRS-80, and outsold Apple until the mid-80s.

Tandy Radio Shack TRS-80 model I computer

The local one that has been in the same location for 40 years closed the last week or two. A sad day. I remember they were also big on shortwave radio accessories. I used to by Heathkits there if anyone remembers those and the electronics cables, switches, etc that go with it.

There is something good being lost with all these stores closing. Sears, Kmart, now JCPenney, and others are also fading out. When all people do is sit in their house and do everything by themselves or in a closed environment there is a huge loss in social contact and all the negatives that go with it. The death of the mall across the country is also not good.

People being glued exclusively to their screens large and small isn't a positive. It is social isolation which isn't good for human beings.

Should be thank Oblama or Trump? Thought I'd beat someone in doing so..

I tried buying components and such from them but their prices were much higher than ordering from a catalog.

The market is changing, if companies can't or don't change, they fade away..

Last edited:

I saw it coming for years...I went in to buy a chromecast for my son and they didn't sell it, so I went to target.
When I was looking around they had very little product of any sort, so I never went back..

It is not the fault of other stores

Radio Shack and Sears are two stores that deserve to die. They are run stupidly. Pretended it was still 1970. RS carries the same stuff bigger stores do for more money and very little else. I tried to buy a remote there and the ahole cashier wanted to grab my card out of my hand and scan in my driver's license. I left the remote there and never went back in.

Sears has more employees than customers. When you find help they don't know much. That's when you can break up their conversations with each other. They bought K-Mart but Walmart kicked their asses out here long ago. Smart move.

Radio Shack and Sears are two stores that deserve to die. They are run stupidly. Pretended it was still 1970. RS carries the same stuff bigger stores do for more money and very little else. I tried to buy a remote there and the ahole cashier wanted to grab my card out of my hand and scan in my driver's license. I left the remote there and never went back in.

Sears has more employees than customers. When you find help they don't know much. That's when you can break up their conversations with each other. They bought K-Mart but Walmart kicked their asses out here long ago. Smart move.
I was in a Sears store recently. I couldn't help but think it could be a nice quiet empty 'safe space' for LWNJs.

They played an important part got many years but haven't flowed with market changes. Lots and lots of people are not ordering online and either picking up instore or having it mailed to them.

Forum List

Back