Radical Islam Will Not Go Away Unless Crushed

On the twentieth anniversary I sent my congress critter a note requesting a commemorative stamp. He thought I meant a USMC stamp. I said, no, an event stamp. Just like the one you will support at the twentieth anniversary of 911. Still no stamp.

Americans don't like to be reminded of their failures. The ROE in Beirut were absurd for a military force in the middle of a civil war; whether, or not it was their intent to participate. It is my opinion that our presence there was not taken as seriously as it should have been on many levels.

Americans don't like to be reminded of their failures. The ROE in Beirut were absurd for a military force in the middle of a civil war; whether, or not it was their intent to participate. It is my opinion that our presence there was not taken as seriously as it should have been on many levels.

And a damn shame too.....:smoke:

That's like us sitting around the table, and by our silence, and lack of action, allowing people, that use our religion, to bring terror, and death in our name.

Someone once said "Before you remove the splinter from your neighbor's eye, remove the plank from your own.

Is the muslim world complicit? Sure. They practically have a collective heart attack over a cartoon in a Dutch newspaper but are oblivious to the events swirling around them at home. There's something very, very odd about that.

But we have a Dear Leader of our own who is visiting death and destruction on others in our name because he believes God told him to do so. So.....is there THAT much difference between us'n and them all? :eek2:
Whether or not you respect Bush, the problem isn't from the US or Western Civilization. The problem is Islam.

Are all Islamics terrorists, goodness no. A relatively few are. How many Islamics support those few? Whoops, number of problem people going up. How many believe they are wrong? Hmmm, problem with Islamics again increase, for most think they are on the right side of the issues, just disagree in principle with their methods. How many of those that think they are wrong, say so? Again, there are few that do so. How many actually take an active role, using the parts of the Koran that are being cited by radicals to explain why the literal interpretation is wrong? Only those that have renounced Islam, and they are condemned for Apostasy.

As for the West, it's way past time for leaders to explain the problem, and to announce that any Islamic country that doesn't actively repudiate and bring under control those that argue for the destruction of US/Israel/The West, will not be considered allies, nor benefit from foreign aid-even in the case of disasters. The teaching of radical Islam, the death sentences, lashings, female genital mutilation, must be renounced and the exhortations from the Koran that argues for the above, must not be taught in schools or backed by the states.

Whether or not you respect Bush, the problem isn't from the US or Western Civilization. The problem is Islam.

Are all Islamics terrorists, goodness no. A relatively few are. How many Islamics support those few? Whoops, number of problem people going up. How many believe they are wrong? Hmmm, problem with Islamics again increase, for most think they are on the right side of the issues, just disagree in principle with their methods. How many of those that think they are wrong, say so? Again, there are few that do so. How many actually take an active role, using the parts of the Koran that are being cited by radicals to explain why the literal interpretation is wrong? Only those that have renounced Islam, and they are condemned for Apostasy.

As for the West, it's way past time for leaders to explain the problem, and to announce that any Islamic country that doesn't actively repudiate and bring under control those that argue for the destruction of US/Israel/The West, will not be considered allies, nor benefit from foreign aid-even in the case of disasters. The teaching of radical Islam, the death sentences, lashings, female genital mutilation, must be renounced and the exhortations from the Koran that argues for the above, must not be taught in schools or backed by the states.

That's getting right to the HEART of the matter "K", good for ya.

Until I see leaders in the Islamic countries "getting on board" with condemning these despicable teachings from the Koran, and coming out AGAINTS the violence, that is being taught, and encouraged by those, that say they represent the TRUE Islam, I'm just afraid I'll come down on the side of "destroy the bastards". Seems simple to me.:terror:

Gotta agree with your last post, Kathianne. Your suggestions are reasonable and sensible. :clap:

I do not pretend to know all that there is to know about this, but I have the impression from my readings to date that there has been an unholy alliance over the past 70 years or so between the US, the Saudis and the radical Saudi clerics who have created the virulent strain of Islam known as Wahabism. Saudi Arabia keeps popping up in all discussions. Young, impressionable Saudis gravitated to Afghanistan, with US encouragement, to oppose the Soviet occupation. Saudis formed the majority of the 9/11 attackers. And the Saudi government, with its vast number of princes (am I correct that King Saud had 80 some odd children? I think so) has basically turned a blind eye to the cancer growing in its midsts in order to cling to its own power. The glue, if you will, that holds this entire enterprise together is, of course, oil.

I will leave it there, so as not to drag the conversation too far afield. But I would appreciate feedback on this. I feel we are close to the nub of the problem - an understanding we must acquire if we are to interrupt the circuit that drives this pernicious system.

The underlying hope of the Iraqi escapade has been that it would blast the muslim world out of the 14th century mentality they have been happy to maintain until now. But, the impetus to acquire and maintain power is stronger than the desire for money, or sex, or fame. It is the central element of the human psyche. So many of the Middle Eastern countries are petrified of getting off the merry-go-round because it may mean giving up their power.

Some people propose a national initiative to promote alternative energy sources NOT because they are afraid of global warming or are Sierra Club tree huggers, but because it is the one sure way of shutting off the flow of money to those who would do us harm. From a strictly cold, calculating political point of view, it may make a lot of sense. Perhaps this thread has been stretched to its limits and a new one called for? I don't know. About the ONLY thing I am sure of is that shouting at each other gets us no closer to a solution.

Gotta agree with your last post, Kathianne. Your suggestions are reasonable and sensible. :clap:

I do not pretend to know all that there is to know about this, but I have the impression from my readings to date that there has been an unholy alliance over the past 70 years or so between the US, the Saudis and the radical Saudi clerics who have created the virulent strain of Islam known as Wahabism. Saudi Arabia keeps popping up in all discussions. Young, impressionable Saudis gravitated to Afghanistan, with US encouragement, to oppose the Soviet occupation. Saudis formed the majority of the 9/11 attackers. And the Saudi government, with its vast number of princes (am I correct that King Saud had 80 some odd children? I think so) has basically turned a blind eye to the cancer growing in its midsts in order to cling to its own power. The glue, if you will, that holds this entire enterprise together is, of course, oil.

I will leave it there, so as not to drag the conversation too far afield. But I would appreciate feedback on this. I feel we are close to the nub of the problem - an understanding we must acquire if we are to interrupt the circuit that drives this pernicious system.

The underlying hope of the Iraqi escapade has been that it would blast the muslim world out of the 14th century mentality they have been happy to maintain until now. But, the impetus to acquire and maintain power is stronger than the desire for money, or sex, or fame. It is the central element of the human psyche. So many of the Middle Eastern countries are petrified of getting off the merry-go-round because it may mean giving up their power.

Some people propose a national initiative to promote alternative energy sources NOT because they are afraid of global warming or are Sierra Club tree huggers, but because it is the one sure way of shutting off the flow of money to those who would do us harm. From a strictly cold, calculating political point of view, it may make a lot of sense. Perhaps this thread has been stretched to its limits and a new one called for? I don't know. About the ONLY thing I am sure of is that shouting at each other gets us no closer to a solution.

Good for YOU MG, seems your starting to see the problem, as it REALLY is, not as the head in the sand, cut, and run, appeasement left WANT to see it.

:thewave:

Thanks for the above. Sure SA is a problem, a big one. So is Pakistan, Syria, Lebanon, etc. Islam though is the connecting thread, in place for 1000 years+. It is Islam. Muhammed. Caliphate and the desire to restore it.

Like what?

Well, I would like to hear more about what actions you consider to have been arrogant and what you believe the consequences of that arrogance have been.

We may not hang out on the same street corner, but I am quite willing to believe that you have had a lifetime of experiences that are different than mine and that I could learn from yours. There is even the possibility that you could learn from mine, but we'll leave that for another time.

So tell me. How has arrogance played a part in our actions abroad? Where and when? I think you are referring to Lebanon, but I am not sure I am correct about that.

And no, this is not a lefty, liberal, bedwetter's trap. I am not trying to set you up. I am your pupil. Teach me.

Like what?

Well, I would like to hear more about what actions you consider to have been arrogant and what you believe the consequences of that arrogance have been.

We may not hang out on the same street corner, but I am quite willing to believe that you have had a lifetime of experiences that are different than mine and that I could learn from yours. There is even the possibility that you could learn from mine, but we'll leave that for another time.

So tell me. How has arrogance played a part in our actions abroad? Where and when? I think you are referring to Lebanon, but I am not sure I am correct about that.

And no, this is not a lefty, liberal, bedwetter's trap. I am not trying to set you up. I am your pupil. Teach me.

It would be great if you posted who you are quoting. This sounds interesting, but cannot follow. So...

Sorry. I'm still learning here. The quote was from GunnyL. I don't like quoting entire posts when I am focusing just on a phrase or a word or two but the board won't let me do that. I see no reason to repost and entire post if I am only focusing on a portion of it.

Anyway, the question stands. I look forward to GunnyL's response.

And no, I am NOT being sarcastic.

Sorry. I'm still learning here. The quote was from GunnyL. I don't like quoting entire posts when I am focusing just on a phrase or a word or two but the board won't let me do that. I see no reason to repost and entire post if I am only focusing on a portion of it.

Uh, right, you are slow. Um humm.

Just highlight what you wish. Then click the quote icon. Paste, good to go. Like you don'† know. Gag me.

Sorry. I'm still learning here. The quote was from GunnyL. I don't like quoting entire posts when I am focusing just on a phrase or a word or two but the board won't let me do that. Sure it will. Just hit the quote button and then delete <snip> the stuff you are not addressing.

I see no reason to repost and entire post if I am only focusing on a portion of it. Understandable

Hope that helps.

Edited to add that Kathi beat me to the punch on the assist. I sure hope my world famous good nature hasn't been taken advantage of.

Like what?

In the context of Beirut, US troops were placed in the middle of a hostile fire zone; yet, the sentries were not allowed to carry ammunition, and all the Marines were housed in one structure. Pretty much goes against every rule of tactics I was ever taught.

The mentality of "We're Americans .... they won't dare attack us" led to that little disaster. I can't call that anything BUT arrogance.

WWII intoxicated us with success. We have had a "might makes right" mentality since then. Not the right, the left ..."we" collectively have. We don't bother to understand other cultures before attempting to aid or defeat them. We deal with other cultures under the notion that they understand right and wrong/good and bad according to our culture, and/or that each and every person in the world not living in the US would embrace democracy with open arms when they don't even have an inkling as to what "democracy" is. We just assume that we can go into a foreign country and undo a lifetime of cultural/religious training with a handful of candy bars, a few smiles, and promises that they are going to be better off doing things our way.

If that isn't blind arrogance, I don't kinow what is.

In the context of Beirut, US troops were placed in the middle of a hostile fire zone; yet, the sentries were not allowed to carry ammunition, and all the Marines were housed in one structure. Pretty much goes against every rule of tactics I was ever taught.

The mentality of "We're Americans .... they won't dare attack us" led to that little disaster. I can't call that anything BUT arrogance.

WWII intoxicated us with success. We have had a "might makes right" mentality since then. Not the right, the left ..."we" collectively have. We don't bother to understand other cultures before attempting to aid or defeat them. We deal with other cultures under the notion that they understand right and wrong/good and bad according to our culture, and/or that each and every person in the world not living in the US would embrace democracy with open arms when they don't even have an inkling as to what "democracy" is. We just assume that we can go into a foreign country and undo a lifetime of cultural/religious training with a handful of candy bars, a few smiles, and promises that they are going to be better off doing things our way.

If that isn't blind arrogance, I don't kinow what is.

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to GunnyL again.

And just to make myself look good by riding on the Gunny's coattails :thup:

It isn't just our military or our generic citizenry (although each is uniquely guilty) . It is in my admittedly not even close to humble opinion that our diplomats are not exactly world beaters. They tend to look down on entire nations as backwaters. So, when they go into Kuwait to demand that they allow us to stage there and start by not understanding why the Kuwaitis feel the debt for 91 has been repaid. Additionally, just like the British foreign service, diplomats believe the military is a set of disposable tools. To quote an arrogant, famous, and respected American diplomat, "Military men are dumb, stupid animals to be used as pawns for foreign policy." I will let y'all practice Googling :smoke:

I've already said so privately to GunnyL but let me do so here publicly.

:clap:

I could NOT agree more with his comments as they are completely aligned with my own. Arrogance is a poor way to make friends and influence people. We should delete it from our national toolbox.

Same comment for pegwinn.

Isn't it amazing how when we stop shouting at each other, we find we are not so very far apart on many things? :mm:

I am a suspicious bastard and tend to have paranoid thoughts, but divide and conquer is about as OLD a strategy as there is. Is it POSSIBLE that there are those in our society who would like to see us bicker among ourselves so as to not notice what is going on behind the scenes? And if so, who would these people be and what would their agenda be once their conquest is complete?

Just asking. Maybe I am paranoid. But maybe, just maybe, there is something to make me that way.

In any event, I will say flatly that I am opposed to using American soldiers as pawns to arrogant jerks, be they diplomats, presidents, presidential advisors, senior fellows at some think tank or other or private individuals. Making them cannon fodder to some ideology or other is NOT the way to support or respect our troops.

Thanks again to GunnyL for laying it out so clearly.

Our leaders set up a system of civilian control over the military to prevent things like military coup d'etats, as happen frequently throughout history. But one could conclude that civilian control by non-professionals over professionals may not be such a great idea either. If I were a senior commander who was ordered to do something that I thought placed the soldiers under my command in needless jeopardy, I would find it very, very hard to execute that order. It is perhaps counterproductive that the members of the military are not allowed to express those concernes without sacrificing their careers. We need to be more receptive to the advice of the professionals if we want professional results.

Forum List

Back