Radical Islam, Fundie Christianity & Free Speech

Should the free speech rights of religious groups ever be curtailed?

• Total voters

Procrustes Stretched

And you say, "Oh my God, am I here all alone?"
Dec 1, 2008
Positively 4th Street
In today's NYT, there is an article about an Islamic group on England.
The group wants to march through a town that is on the route caskets of returning military take from a military air base.
Islam4UK
NYT: British Prime Minister 'Appall
A radical Islamic group planning a protest march through the streets of a town that has achieved iconic status in Britain for honoring the passing hearses of British soldiers killed in Afghanistan ran into a stiff rebuff from the British government on Monday.

Prime Minister Gordon Brown issued a statement saying he was "personally appalled" by the group's plan ....
"Wootton Bassett has a special significance for us all at this time, as it has been the scene of the repatriation of many members of our armed forces who have tragically fallen," Mr. Brown said. "Any attempt to use this location to cause further distress and suffering to those who have lost loved ones would be abhorrent and offensive."

Plans for staging the march were laid out in an open letter to the families of the 246 British soldiers killed in Afghanistan since the toppling of the Taliban in 2001 that was posted by Anjem Choudary, leader of a group called Islam4UK, on the group's Web site.

The organization describes itself as a "platform" for promoting the views of an extremist Islamic group, Al Muhajiroun, which praised the perpetrators of the Sept. 11 attacks in the United States as heroes, but disbanded in 2005 in response to a British government order banning it.

Last edited:
The group wants to march through a town that is on the route caskets of returning military take from a military air base.
Islam4UK
A radical Islamic group planning a protest march through the streets of a town that has achieved iconic status in Britain for honoring the passing hearses of British soldiers killed in Afghanistan ran into a stiff rebuff from the British government on Monday.

Prime Minister Gordon Brown issued a statement saying he was "personally appalled" by the group's plan ....
"Wootton Bassett has a special significance for us all at this time, as it has been the scene of the repatriation of many members of our armed forces who have tragically fallen," Mr. Brown said. "Any attempt to use this location to cause further distress and suffering to those who have lost loved ones would be abhorrent and offensive."

Plans for staging the march were laid out in an open letter to the families of the 246 British soldiers killed in Afghanistan since the toppling of the Taliban in 2001 that was posted by Anjem Choudary, leader of a group called Islam4UK, on the group's Web site.

The organization describes itself as a "platform" for promoting the views of an extremist Islamic group, Al Muhajiroun, which praised the perpetrators of the Sept. 11 attacks in the United States as heroes, but disbanded in 2005 in response to a British government order banning it.

Is the speech and actions of the Fundie Islamists any different than that of the Fundie Christians, and if so, in what ways?

Would you suppport banning or curtailing the speech and actions of one group and not the other, or would you be against doing so to either, or would you be for taking action against both?

What principles are involved, and what do we as a society value?

I think about how and in what way I would support banning the free speech rights of groups that intentionally advocate the death of those who believe differntly. Specifically, christian groups who advocate killing abortion providers, and islamic groups who support or advocate support for jihad against the west.

maybe you need to be clearer? who are fundie christians? fred phelps?

otherwise, what is there to compare?

I voted yes. As a non profit if they engage in politics from the pulpit they should lose their tax exempt status. Of course that is not curtailing free speech just not making the rest of us subsidize it.

and of course if they are talking trason and inciting rebellion, etc they should be treated as any other speaker.

I voted yes. As a non profit if they engage in politics from the pulpit they should lose their tax exempt status. Of course that is not curtailing free speech just not making the rest of us subsidize it.

and of course if they are talking trason and inciting rebellion, etc they should be treated as any other speaker.

if they don't make a profit, they are nonprofit.... what money is made is put back in to the cause....there are no profits....and if there are no profits as with any business, there are no taxes to pay.

there is no law specifically for churches, that would have been unconstitutional....there are laws for nonprofit entities, of which they are a part of....is my understanding???

maybe you need to be clearer? who are fundie christians? fred phelps?

otherwise, what is there to compare?

Phelps. Terry from Operation Rescue, and others....People who say they have no qualms about murdering abortion doctors, and people who agree that killing a doctor or provider of legal abortions is a good thing.

very interesting. but what about speech rights? would you support banning certain speech? specifically the speech of religious groups.

I am not talking about individuals. I think there is a process to go after the life threatening hate speech of individuals in the civil courts. I don't know why more people do not go after those who advocate murder or harm.

if they don't make a profit, they are nonprofit.... what money is made is put back in to the cause....there are no profits....and if there are no profits as with any business, there are no taxes to pay.

there is no law specifically for churches, that would have been unconstitutional....there are laws for nonprofit entities, of which they are a part of....is my understanding???

non profits can have profit arms. non profits skirt the tax laws all the time. right, left, religious,..all groups need to hold to their mission statements and file reports. many do so in ways that skirt the laws. I used to investigate non profit's filings as a hobby.

IF it is their ''right'' to free speech, then absolutely not.

So you think a group like Islam4UK, if it were in the US, should be free to do what they do? Phelps? Phelps, does not advocate anyone go out and harm others as some anti-abortion groups do. anti-abortion groups that back what teh extremists do are no better.

who has the right to say that a god has spoken to them and then speak of how we all need to harm or kill others in the name of god?

From what I gather, the group is protesting the slaughter of innocents in Afghanistan. Why is this controversial?

Islam4UK

Is the speech and actions of the Fundie Islamists any different than that of the Fundie Christians, and if so, in what ways?

Would you suppport banning or curtailing the speech and actions of one group and not the other, or would you be against doing so to either, or would you be for taking action against both?

What principles are involved, and what do we as a society value?

I think that is the wrong question. Look at this radical group. It is all about hate, and killing. When the free speech promotes violence, it needs to be identified and possibly stopped.

An honest assessment (something that some people cannot do) of mainstream Christianity
would identify love and faith, and a promotion of high moral living. That, of course, based on the Bible. You cannot compare the two. While you might be able to find some radical people who call themselves Christians who would fall into that violent mentality as well. They also would need to be halted.

We do not necessarily all define radical in the same way, so that would have to be addressed as well.

From what I gather, the group is protesting the slaughter of innocents in Afghanistan. Why is this controversial?

The choice of venue and the group they back celebrated 911?
the above group is Islam4UK

I think that is the wrong question.
Which question?

Look at this radical group. It is all about hate, and killing. When the free speech promotes violence, it needs to be identified and possibly stopped.
Are you sure? Or will you qualify it later, to fit not going after some while going after others?

An honest assessment (something that some people cannot do) of mainstream Christianity
would identify love and faith, and a promotion of high moral living.
I said nothing about mainstream....there you are qualifying...

That, of course, based on the Bible. You cannot compare the two.
as a nonbeliever, I can so.

While you might be able to find some radical people who call themselves Christians who would fall into that violent mentality as well. They also would need to be halted.
What percentage of Muslims support 911 type attacks, and what percentage of Christians support killing abortion providers? And does the percentage make one more acceptable or less threatening?

We do not necessarily all define radical in the same way, so that would have to be addressed as well.
Radical is supporting and/or advocating violence and death to others in the name of faith and beliefs and a higher good. Pretty simple.

Sweatshirt Sparks School Controversy - Detroit Local News Story - WDIV Detroit

22129880_240X198.jpg

DEARBORN, Mich. -- About 15 Arab-American students at Edsel Ford High School are in trouble over a class sweatshirt they had made over the holiday break.
The class of 2011 sweatshirt has the number 11 made to look like the World Trade Center Towers. The school's mascot, a Thunderbird, is seen flying toward the number.

So you think a group like Islam4UK, if it were in the US, should be free to do what they do? Phelps? Phelps, does not advocate anyone go out and harm others as some anti-abortion groups do. anti-abortion groups that back what teh extremists do are no better.

who has the right to say that a god has spoken to them and then speak of how we all need to harm or kill others in the name of god?

excuse me, but you said RIGHT to free speech.... calling for the death of someone IS NOT A RIGHT, calling fire in a theater when there isn't one is not a RIGHT to free speech.,,,

the KKK has been allowed to march in this country, is that any worse? sure it is disgusting to the many opposed to them, but free speech covered by the Right.,,,none the less...

Al Muhajiroun

Oh, yeah. Bunch of nutters who formed a failed offshoot of a Sunni group. I wasn't aware that the protesting organization was a front for "Al Muhajiroun", but I'm not surprised.

Sweatshirt Sparks School Controversy - Detroit Local News Story - WDIV Detroit

22129880_240X198.jpg

DEARBORN, Mich. -- About 15 Arab-American students at Edsel Ford High School are in trouble over a class sweatshirt they had made over the holiday break.
The class of 2011 sweatshirt has the number 11 made to look like the World Trade Center Towers. The school's mascot, a Thunderbird, is seen flying toward the number.

Nothing new here. In the late 60s and early 70s I remember students chanting ''Ho, Ho, Ho Chi Min, the NLF is going to win'' ..

NLF: commie Vietnamese National Liberation Front

excuse me, but you said RIGHT to free speech.... calling for the death of someone IS NOT A RIGHT, calling fire in a theater when there isn't one is not a RIGHT to free speech.,,,
You are confused. The right to free speech is a right in and of itself. Limits on speech are matters that good people can disagree over.

It is the principle I am talking about. Please try and keep up.

the KKK has been allowed to march in this country, is that any worse? sure it is disgusting to the many opposed to them, but free speech covered by the Right.,,,none the less...
and there are people who think that right should not extend to this particular type of speech.

The ACLU backs the free speech right in almost all cases, out of principle. The ACLU does not back speech it only agrees with.

Some argue that speech that calls for killing is protected.

What about the kkk? Do you side with the ACLU?

Forum List

Back