Radiation Detected In Drinking Water In 13 More US Cities

dvinman

VIP Member
Dec 14, 2009
Radiation from Japan has been detected in drinking water in 13 more American cities, and cesium-137 has been found in American milk—in Montpelier, Vermont—for the first time since the Japan nuclear disaster began, according to data released by the Environmental Protection Agency late Friday.

The EPA released this new data through a new interactive open-data system it quietly launched on the EPA website Wednesday. The new interface is to be regularly updated, replacing EPA’s periodic news releases and pdf data charts. Here are more details of the data released Friday:
Drinking Water

Radioactive Iodine-131 was found in drinking water samples from 13 cities. Those cities are listed below, with the amount of Iodine-131 in picocuries per liter. The EPA’s maximum contaminant level for Iodine-131 in drinking water is 3 picocuries per liter.

* Oak Ridge, TN collected 3/28: 0.63
* Oak Ridge, TN collected at three sites 3/29: 0.28, 0.20, 0.18
* Chatanooga, TN collected 3/28: 1.6
* Helena, MT collected 3/28: 0.18
* Columbia, PA collected 3/29: 0.20
* Cincinatti, OH collected 3/28: 0.13
* Pittsburgh, PA collected 3/28: 0.36
* East Liverpool, OH collected 3/30: 0.42
* Painesville, OH collected 3/29: 0.43
* Denver, CO collected 3/30: 0.17
* Detroit, MI collected 3/31: 0.28
* Trenton, NJ collected 3/31: 0.38
* Waretown, NJ collected 3/31: 0.38
* Muscle Shoals, AL collected 3/31: 0.16

Precipitation
In the data released Friday, iodine-131 was found in rainwater samples from the following locations:

* Salt Lake City, UT collected 3/17: 8.1
* Boston, MA collected 3/22: 92
* Montgomery, Alabama collected 3/30: 3.7
* Boise, ID collected 3/27: 390

As reported above, the Boise sample also contained 42 pC/m3 of Cesium-134, and 36 of Cesium-137.

Air
In the most recent data, iodine-131 was found in air filters in the following locations. In the case of air samples, the radiation is measured in picoCuries per cubic meter.

* Montgomery, AL collected 3/31: 0.055
* Nome AK collected 3/30: 0.17
* Nome AK collected 3/29: 0.36
* Nome AK collected 3/27: 0.36
* Nome AK collected 3/26: 0.46
* Nome AK collected 3/25: 0.26
* Juneau AKcollected 3/26: 0.43
* Juneau AK collected 3/27: 0.38
* Juneau AK collected 3/30: 0.28
* Dutch Harbor AK collected 3/30: 0.14
* Dutch Harbor AK collected 3/29: 0.11
* Dutch Harbor AK colleccted 3/26: 0.21
* Boise, ID collected 3/27: 0.22
* Boise, ID collected 3/29: 0.27
* Boise, ID collected 3/28: 0.32
* Las Vegas NV collected 3/28: 0.30
* Las Vegas, NV collected 3/30:: 0.088
* Las Vegas, NV collected 3/29: 0.044

Radiation Detected In Drinking Water In 13 More US Cities, Cesium-137 In Vermont Milk - Jeff McMahon - The Ingenuity of the Commons - Forbes

I am on the cell phone rocking the baby so it may take it awhile to look it up, what is the usual dose within ten miles of one of our plants? What is the dose from my four hour trip to the park today?

Nothing to worry about! Radiation is delicious and nutritious. If it were a problem, our government would be all over it!

So you say radiation bio-accumulates? We'll just increase the levels allowed to what they are now. Problem solved!

Last edited:
Middle Ground Folks! No need to be alarmist idiots or stick our heads in the sand. I would be pissed if someone said my son was going to get the equivalent of an x-ray every day for the rest of his life because of the power plant next door. Then again, I'm not trying to talk him out of going to the park because of the sun exposure risk.

Does anyone actually know how serious this is?

Middle Ground Folks! No need to be alarmist idiots or stick our heads in the sand. I would be pissed if someone said my son was going to get the equivalent of an x-ray every day for the rest of his life because of the power plant next door. Then again, I'm not trying to talk him out of going to the park because of the sun exposure risk.

Does anyone actually know how serious this is?

To know this you need baseline samples from prior to the accident. That would tell you what the average readings are from various background sources.

The levels found in the drinking water were below the limits imposed by regular drinking water standards. Again we dont know if those levels are elevated above background because the post does not give context, only figures.

Only seven replies to this. Normal :cuckoo:
Post a pic of a cameltoe shot of Jennifer Lopez and you'll have 33,000 replies.
Fucking morons.

Yup, we get it. If you think it's important then it's everyone's emergency, if you think it's silly then everyone's a murkin. Sure thing there Hugo.

Forum List

Back