Racist, Hilarious or Both?

manifold

Diamond Member
Feb 19, 2008
your dreams
BEIJING, China (CNN) -- A photo of the Spanish men's Olympics basketball team, using their index fingers as if to slant their eyes, has sparked controversy with Asian rights groups. The image, showing the players pushing up the outside corners of their eyes, was taken before the team left Spain for Beijing.

News reports on the photo have stirred controversy, particularly outside China. Some have criticized the team for making a racist gesture, an assertion the team denies.

Spanish Olympic basketball team in 'racist' photo row - CNN.com

1308_spainad_sp_lg.jpg

I don't see how all references to physical, racial differences is racist. Are we just supposed to pretend we all look the same?

• Banned
I don't see how all references to physical, racial differences is racist. Are we just supposed to pretend we all look the same?

I think we are if we're to be politically correct I'm afraid.

btw: I say both. But I also don't think all acknowledgements of racial differences (technically racism) are bad.

Not funny.

Racist?

Yeah, in a really lame way, I suppose.

It's so stupid, if I were the Chinese people, I'd be embarrassed for the nitwits who decided this passed for humor, more than angry with them.

Sometimes you just have to give really dumb people a pass.

Actually, because of the red uniforms, poor image quality, and the oddly filthy state of my monitor I at first thought they were the Chinese basketball team gesturing gang signs to make fun of the American team.

I think they are trying to close there eyes on that butt whoopin' they knew they had coming at the hands of the U.S. team! :eusa_clap:

Forum List

Back