Votes: 3 21.4%
  • Human Preference

Votes: 11 78.6%

• Total voters

Swagger

Gold Member
Jul 26, 2011
Up on the scaffold
I've lifted this video from the bowels of USArmyRetired's thread in the Romper Room as I feel it warrants the detachment of its original location's bias. In the video Mr. Ali voices an opinion that many would claim falls within the parameters of racism. I say it doesn't. What say ye, USMB?

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lXEupeEMwyw&feature=related"]Muhammad Ali interviewed by Michael Parkinson, 1971.[/ame]

Last edited:
I didn't watch the entire thing, but unless he was saying one race was superior to another, it wasn't racist.

I couldn't understand a word the interviewer was saying....damn, Brits mangle the English language.

He said the races shouldn't interbreed and that people who do inerbreed hate their own race.

So, so-far we're all in agreement that when someone says that they prefer the company of their own race (regardless of the colour of the person saying it), it isn't racist.

Ravi's confession that she has difficulty understanding spoken English (even when spoken by an Englishman) is merely an added bonus.

Last edited:
He said the races shouldn't interbreed and that people who do inerbreed hate their own race.

He did indeed. But why do I suspect that if the same sentiments were expressed by a white man, they'd be verbally assaulted with accusations of racism?

Ali's still very much alive. He was a great boxer and a great man. He's talking about personal preference. That's fine. I think he changed his views somewhat later in life.

In any case he worked tirelessly with charities and is a great humantarian.

Ali's still very much alive. He was a great boxer and a great man. He's talking about personal preference. That's fine. I think he changed his views somewhat later in life.

I beg to differ. All four of his wives were and are black. He's practiced what he's preached, which I applaud.

Amazing, I'm sure.

Last edited:
Let's just say it falls into a gray area. It's not classic racism, but it's an attitude that arises out of racism, and one that's increasingly not shared by young people who are doing most of the dating and mating these days. Ali felt that way in large part because of when he was born.

Let's just say it falls into a gray area. It's not classic racism, but it's an attitude that arises out of racism, and one that's increasingly not shared by young people who are doing most of the dating and mating these days. Ali felt that way in large part because of when he was born.

I disagree. I believe it's an "attitude" (or instinct, rather) borne out of basic human nature, not racism. And until you post credilble links that map a rapidly growing trend in favour of interracial over homogeneous relationships across the world, I refuse to believe that young people across the world are increasingly disagreeing with and abandoning the views and values expressed by Muhammad Ali.

Last edited:
The more racial inbreeding, the less racial diversity

I disagree. I believe it's an "attitude" (or instinct, rather) borne out of basic human nature, not racism. And until you post credilble links that map a rapidly growing trend in favour of interracial over homogeneous relationships across the world, I refuse to believe that young people across the world are increasingly disagreeing with and abandoning the views and values expressed by Muhammad Ali.

Nice how you tossed that "across the world" in there, knowing that 1) no such global data are likely to be available, and 2) most of the world lags behind the advanced countries of Western Europe and North America in social progress just as in economic development.

I can certainly show you data for the advanced world, though. Start with this article:

USATODAY.com - New generation doesn't blink at interracial relationships

Here's a Gallup poll showing the changes in attitudes:

Most Americans Approve of Interracial Marriages

That's in America, which is making huge progress along these lines, but just the same, Europe as usual seems to be a little bit ahead of us.

In short, interracial relationships are on the way up, resistance against them on the way down, and where the advanced world goes first, the rest will ultimately follow.

Forum List

Back