Racism Mystery from the 1950's

Why did blacks in the south get upset when they saw a "Whites Only" sign at certain restaurants in the 50's? Why would you want to give your money to a racist? LOL I mean was the food that good?

Why not laugh and go somewhere else?

Are you serious? It had nothing to do with their "food being that good". In most cases it was worse.

The fact is that while whites were allowed to move about freely in a segregated society, up to and including going into designated "black only areas with immunity, "being caught in a "whites only" establishment was a death sentence for a black person.

It was a double standard. And it was nothing to laugh about, and damn sure is not a "mystery".
By any objective analysis, blacks did better ECONOMICALLY AND SOCIALLY, under segregation. Black men were married and working...raising strong families. Crime was low, drug use non-existent, and their children were being educated in decent schools.

No doubt you will call me a racist for stating these facts.

Segregation was wrong, but blacks did much better under it, when compared to today. This is undeniable.

No doubt that you are wrong. Where did I state that Black citizens did not fare better economically under segregation? I was around during segregation and recall that fact. So no, I have no reason or intention to label you a "racist"

What I stated was there was UNEQUAL enforcement of the restrictions between the races during that era.

Being old enough to have witnessed segregation in practice, I recall seeing whites venturing into black owned establishments and not being subjected to the same punishment or mob violence as black citizens.

Why did blacks in the south get upset when they saw a "Whites Only" sign at certain restaurants in the 50's? Why would you want to give your money to a racist? LOL I mean was the food that good?

Why not laugh and go somewhere else?

That's actually easy to explain. You had to know the "lay of the land". If you took a bus to work in the "white part" of town for 8 or 10 hours a day, you still have to eat and you still have to pee. You might also do some shopping there for stuff you couldn't get "across the tracks".. Was pretty unavoidable for many...

I think that was the "conditioning" that's STILL plaguing the black community. The reason they don't WILLINGLY FLEE those hoods TODAY with the high crime and abuse by the metro justice/legal/city services people. Because all those years of segregation CONDITIONED them to prefer living segregated in places that didn't remind constantly of racial bias.

Forum List

Back