racism in America

west2004

Jun 11, 2004
I am new here, but I used to post on another message board. The people there were adament about the fact that just about everything is, in some way, racist.

How do you all feel about racism and race relations?

Wow! That is a vague and general question. One could write a book about his opinion on this issue in reply to your question. Would be more specific?

OK, more specifically, job discrimination. The people I kave been talking to are saying that racism exists throughout corporations in the hiring process. They also think that the reason for the fact that whites hold more executive positions is due to past racism.

Any thoughts?

Originally posted by William Joyce
West, I really don't have any opinions about race, racism or race relations. Seriously. Ask anyone on the board.
:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Originally posted by west2004
OK, more specifically, job discrimination. The people I kave been talking to are saying that racism exists throughout corporations in the hiring process. They also think that the reason for the fact that whites hold more executive positions is due to past racism.

Any thoughts?

People should be free to discriminate as they see fit. If someone hires a slow ignorant White guy over a much better Black guy (because the employer prefers to hire White people) the employer will be penalized naturally in the relatively free market. The non-racist competitors will hire the better prospective employee regardless of race and thereby gain market share.

We have had reverse racism long enough. We have had plenty of "catch-up" programs to help those whose distant relatives suffered racism. The EEOC, Affirmative Action, and the like have run their course. It is time for the government to really be colorblind in matters of race (allow merit to decide employment) and let the private sector hire and promote people as it sees fit.

mattskramer, that is exactly the point I have been trying to get across in the other forum that I post in, but people do not understand that.

Unfortunately racism is not an issue anymore. With all the outsourcing and NAFTA big government has a slew of people to choose from. From the bottom on up. This country is in big trouble but no one seems to care anymore. Any thoughts on this?

matt I totally agree with your point. You RAWK!!! :beer:

But boy, oh boy, I hope this doesn't turn into another racism/affirmative action flamefest...

In another forum, someone posted an article claiming that 80% job opportunities are never advertised. I told him that a lot of it is because people sometimes give jobs to friends and family. He thought the 80% of non-advertised jobbs was some way to keep minorities down.

Heres the discussion. http://p076.ezboard.com/fpoliticalpalacefrm1.showMessageRange?topicID=7522. start=41&stop=58

P.S. it started as a topic discussing the comments Larry Bird made in regards to white basketball players, in which I made some comments about the Dallas Mavericks, which I later realized were incorrect, so if you could be so kind as to ignore those particular statements that would be great.

Originally posted by HGROKIT

Gotta love it.

My earlier suggestion is sounding pretty damn intuitive and intelligent about now!
You can tell how intelligent a person is by the way they tell you how intelligent they are.

Hey if they don't tell you, who is.

Originally posted by west2004

Any thoughts?

Anyone who would reduce racism to being just about AA, has no concept of history and the role the US played in it.

That said, many say that Affirmative Action is reverse racism or something. I don't agree, but maybe they're right. Either way, that would only be a fraction of the racism that exists in out country.

As for whites holding more executive positions, of course they do.

Due to past racism? Well, white men definitely have the upperhand in the sense that not so long ago blacks were slaves. Remember?

But our country has become increasingly more diverse and accepting (save the anti-muslim fervor).

Shit, woman can even vote and sit on the highest bench in the land.

Not so long ago, THEIR voices didn't matter.

Does that answer yuour question at all?
Do you agree?

Forum List

Back