racism alive and well in the north

Discussion in 'Race Relations/Racism' started by strollingbones, Jul 8, 2009.

1. strollingbones

strollingbones Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +31,971
    Pool Boots Kids Who Might "Change the Complexion"

More than 60 campers from Northeast Philadelphia were turned away from a private swim club and left to wonder if their race was the reason.

Pool Boots Kids Who Might "Change the Complexion" Day Camp were thrilled to go swimming once a week at the Valley Swim Club. But after only one trip to the private club, they were...
    "I heard this lady, she was like, 'Uh, what are all these black kids doing here?' She's like, 'I'm scared they might do something to my child,'" said camper Dymire Baylor.

The Creative Steps Day Camp paid more than $1900 to The Valley Swim Club. The Valley Swim Club is a private club that advertises open membership. But the campers' first visit to the pool suggested otherwise.

"When the minority children got in the pool all of the Caucasian children immediately exited the pool," Horace Gibson, parent of a day camp child, wrote in an email. "The pool attendants came and told the black children that they did not allow minorities in the club and needed the children to leave immediately."

Pool Boots Kids Who Might "Change the Complexion" | NBC Philadelphia

o the uproar that would go on if this had happened in the south..what do you smug self rightous fucking yankees have to say about this?

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  2. random3434

random3434 Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,194
    You don't think there will be an uproar bones?

Just wait.

3. manifold

manifold Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +20,768
    :rofl:

4. strollingbones

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +31,971
    we shall see...and no i dont think there will be an uproar in the city of brotherly love....i have been there....city well divided and damn scarey at times

5. random3434

random3434 Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,194
    That is pretty funny.

You know you can "catch" black, dontcha? :rolleyes:

6. manifold

manifold Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +20,768
    The best line:

"The pool attendants came and told the black children that they did not allow minorities in the club and needed the children to leave immediately."

Yeah, I'm sure that's exactly what the attendant said. :lol:

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  7. strollingbones

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +31,971
    of course that is what he said manie....didnt you learn anything from the oj trial? saying ****** is worse than killing two people....i keep having to tell you that

8. AllieBaba

AllieBaba BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,650
    I think it's best to wait for the rest of the story, rather than assuming it's about race.

For example, if it's a group of under-privileged or high-risk kids with behaviors who are rampaging around the pool, I can understand being concerned. You collect up a bunch of kids from the inner city who happen to be black but also happen to be violent, ill-mannered, loud, and don't have a clue how to behave you're going to have people ticked off.

We're way too quick to assume that any time a black person is taken to task for something it's about color. It might be in this case, but it's moronic to make the assumption before you know the whole story.

And I was taught by my editors that means giving an opportunity to the people on BOTH sides of any issue an opportunity to voice their opinion and ask them questions about why they are of that opinion. I don't see that in what strolling has there. Nobody interviewed the pool, or the patrons who were there..other than the daycamp ppl.

9. William Joyce

William Joyce Chemotherapy for PC

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,349
    When "racism" is afoot, journalists feel no need to get the other side. They're on a mission, you see.

10. raceright

raceright Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +33
    This does not help heal the wounds of racism..
    True today, after several days 4 new hires for a Union Hall starting at 18 per hour with health care included, one of the workers had to be advised many times that his efforts needed to step up.
    While hiding behind some construction supplies this person was telling the other new hires that they were working to fast and should slow down,one of the young new hires (happens to be a white man) came over to the supervisor and told him what the other man was telling him and that he felt uncomfortable with this situation and always works at his best. This prompted the supervisor to tell this person to go to the office and pick up his check. To add insult to injury this person was also an hour late for work. Now I don't follow poles or look for independent research for this type of behavior but this is far from the first time that this has happened (about once every three months)
    But I can't remember the last time we had to fire a white man for this type of behavior--not my problem to solve but a problem just the same. Give you a guess what race he was.