racism alive and well in the north

strollingbones

Diamond Member
Sep 19, 2008
chicken farm
Pool Boots Kids Who Might "Change the Complexion"

More than 60 campers from Northeast Philadelphia were turned away from a private swim club and left to wonder if their race was the reason.

Pool Boots Kids Who Might "Change the Complexion" Day Camp were thrilled to go swimming once a week at the Valley Swim Club. But after only one trip to the private club, they were...
"I heard this lady, she was like, 'Uh, what are all these black kids doing here?' She's like, 'I'm scared they might do something to my child,'" said camper Dymire Baylor.

The Creative Steps Day Camp paid more than $1900 to The Valley Swim Club. The Valley Swim Club is a private club that advertises open membership. But the campers' first visit to the pool suggested otherwise.

"When the minority children got in the pool all of the Caucasian children immediately exited the pool," Horace Gibson, parent of a day camp child, wrote in an email. "The pool attendants came and told the black children that they did not allow minorities in the club and needed the children to leave immediately."

Pool Boots Kids Who Might "Change the Complexion" | NBC Philadelphia

o the uproar that would go on if this had happened in the south..what do you smug self rightous fucking yankees have to say about this?

More than 60 campers from Northeast Philadelphia were turned away from a private swim club and left to wonder if their race was the reason.

Pool Boots Kids Who Might "Change the Complexion" Day Camp were thrilled to go swimming once a week at the Valley Swim Club. But after only one trip to the private club, they were...
"I heard this lady, she was like, 'Uh, what are all these black kids doing here?' She's like, 'I'm scared they might do something to my child,'" said camper Dymire Baylor.

The Creative Steps Day Camp paid more than $1900 to The Valley Swim Club. The Valley Swim Club is a private club that advertises open membership. But the campers' first visit to the pool suggested otherwise.

"When the minority children got in the pool all of the Caucasian children immediately exited the pool," Horace Gibson, parent of a day camp child, wrote in an email. "The pool attendants came and told the black children that they did not allow minorities in the club and needed the children to leave immediately."

o the uproar that would go on if this had happened in the south..what do you smug self rightous fucking yankees have to say about this?

You don't think there will be an uproar bones?

Just wait.

we shall see...and no i dont think there will be an uproar in the city of brotherly love....i have been there....city well divided and damn scarey at times

"There was concern that a lot of kids would change the complexion … and the atmosphere of the club," John Duesler, President of The Valley Swim Club said in a statement.

That is pretty funny.

You know you can "catch" black, dontcha? :rolleyes:

The best line:

"The pool attendants came and told the black children that they did not allow minorities in the club and needed the children to leave immediately."

Yeah, I'm sure that's exactly what the attendant said. :lol:

of course that is what he said manie....didnt you learn anything from the oj trial? saying ****** is worse than killing two people....i keep having to tell you that

I think it's best to wait for the rest of the story, rather than assuming it's about race.

For example, if it's a group of under-privileged or high-risk kids with behaviors who are rampaging around the pool, I can understand being concerned. You collect up a bunch of kids from the inner city who happen to be black but also happen to be violent, ill-mannered, loud, and don't have a clue how to behave you're going to have people ticked off.

We're way too quick to assume that any time a black person is taken to task for something it's about color. It might be in this case, but it's moronic to make the assumption before you know the whole story.

And I was taught by my editors that means giving an opportunity to the people on BOTH sides of any issue an opportunity to voice their opinion and ask them questions about why they are of that opinion. I don't see that in what strolling has there. Nobody interviewed the pool, or the patrons who were there..other than the daycamp ppl.

And I was taught by my editors that means giving an opportunity to the people on BOTH sides of any issue an opportunity to voice their opinion and ask them questions about why they are of that opinion. I don't see that in what strolling has there. Nobody interviewed the pool, or the patrons who were there..other than the daycamp ppl.

When "racism" is afoot, journalists feel no need to get the other side. They're on a mission, you see.

This does not help heal the wounds of racism..
True today, after several days 4 new hires for a Union Hall starting at 18 per hour with health care included, one of the workers had to be advised many times that his efforts needed to step up.
While hiding behind some construction supplies this person was telling the other new hires that they were working to fast and should slow down,one of the young new hires (happens to be a white man) came over to the supervisor and told him what the other man was telling him and that he felt uncomfortable with this situation and always works at his best. This prompted the supervisor to tell this person to go to the office and pick up his check. To add insult to injury this person was also an hour late for work. Now I don't follow poles or look for independent research for this type of behavior but this is far from the first time that this has happened (about once every three months)
But I can't remember the last time we had to fire a white man for this type of behavior--not my problem to solve but a problem just the same. Give you a guess what race he was.

"There was concern that a lot of kids would change the complexion … and the atmosphere of the club," John Duesler, President of The Valley Swim Club said in a statement.

That is pretty funny.

You know you can "catch" black, dontcha? :rolleyes:

Here's their website:
The Valley Swim Club-Huntingdon Valley

Doesn't say anything in their rule book that says they don't allow minorities in the club. The most they should be able to do is sue them for false advertising, but I bet Jesse Jackson or Al Sharpton get in on this and find some way to destroy these po dunk hicks for DARING to have a private club!!!!

Truth is, if it's a private club....they have the right to run it the way they want. If they want to be bigots and lose money...oh well.

If this was whites being rejected from an All Black club, Republicans would be all over it in a second.

Why are Republicans only quick to condemn perceived racism if its against whites? Can anyone answer me that?

There is an uproar going on. Its been posted at numerous sites that I read. The only reason there is an uproar is because its in the north. If it was in the south, it would be treated as just how them southerners do things. You know, like having white only proms.

I think it's bullshit from the facts posted.

Asking "what are all those black kids doing here" isn't racist either, btw. Just using black as a descriptive word.

I think it's bullshit from the facts posted.

Asking "what are all those black kids doing here" isn't racist either, btw. Just using black as a descriptive word.

I'm scared they might do something to my child is clearly racist.

If this was whites being rejected from an All Black club, Republicans would be all over it in a second.

Why are Republicans only quick to condemn perceived racism if its against whites? Can anyone answer me that?

I can.. you're full of shit. I doubt anyone cares if they don't let white boys join the Crips or Bloods.:lol:

I'm wondering if the guy told the kids, "Pool's Closed"

Seriously though, this will probably cause an uproar of sorts.

Last edited:
I'm wondering if the guy told the kids, "Pool's Closed"

Seriously though, this will probably cause an uproar of sorts.

You want to know what I think? Probably not..but here it goes...]

There are only 2 ways this could've went down.

1- The pool manager actually did say all that and therefore deserve the criticism and the backlash that will surely follow.

2- The kids from the 'hood were being loud as hell and unruly and it scared the other patrons so they decided not to let them in knowing they were too full of energy and would fuck SOMETHING up if given enough time on the grounds.

In my opinion, I think it was #2. No, not because they were black kids... because they were loud and unruly kids going to a high end club.

I just read that article and the behavior of the people in that private club, if being accurately reported by NBC and the parents of the kids who got kicked out, is absolutely dispicable. I abhore racism in all forms.

That being said the private club has every right, no matter how wrong it seems to me, to deny anyone access to their facilities. Just for those who might be a little slow I am not saying it was ok with me that they kicked those people out for being the "wrong" complexion" I am saying I believe in the right of individuals and private organizations to behave as they want on their private property.

Considering the explaination and the comments by the members of the club I would say the 60 children are entitled to a full refund and even maybe more for pain and suffering. No child should have to be exposed to that kind of overt racism. I feel really bad for those kids whom, if they didn't already experience it, had to experience a negative reaction to their skin tone.

I mean how shallow are people....do people really think that having a darker complexion makes you different than someone with a lighter complextion....our brains and insides still look the same.

ok i'll stop ranting

Forum List

Back