Racism - A Must Read

midcan5

liberal / progressive
Jun 4, 2007
America
Whenever I hear people say that America is no longer a racist nation, I go back to what they said and I listen carefully to what they say later, odd that most cannot even see themselves.

"In other words, we police black communities more heavily and we are more aggressive about enforcing drug laws against drugs that black people use more frequently. Controlling for those facts isn't helping you isolate the role racial discrimination plays in drug enforcement. Those facts are the role that racial discrimination plays in drug enforcement."

"In some ways, what's amazing about many of these studies is that they show a racial effect even after controlling for so much of racism's work. They show that racism exists even in our control society — the one with equality of income, and education, and neighborhood, and car choices. The one where we've wiped out most every difference but pigment. The one where we've left ourselves no excuses for our prejudice. It is remarkable how much discrimination can survive."

'How racial discrimination in law enforcement actually works' Ezra Klein

How racial discrimination in law enforcement actually works - Vox

And these:

'Asked and Answered: Reflections on White Anti-Racism, My Work and Certain Recurring Critiques'
Tim Wise Asked and Answered Reflections on White Anti-Racism My Work and Certain Recurring Critiques

"In an interesting new survey, the Public Religion Research Institute found that 10 percent of Americans believe business owners should be able to refuse to serve black people if they see that as a violation of their religious beliefs. This was pretty much the same across regions, too; the Northwest and the Midwest had slightly higher percentages than the South and the West. Gen X-ers, not old people, were most likely to agree — 13 percent said they support the right to refuse. Men were slightly more likely to agree than women, and Catholics slightly more likely than Protestants. Hispanics were the biggest outlier by far: 18 percent agreed with the right to refuse service to blacks." Racism Lives On Under the Cover of Religious Freedom - The Atlantic

'The Real Origins of the Religious Right' "They’ll tell you it was abortion. Sorry, the historical record’s clear: It was segregation."
Randall Balmer May 27, 2014 Read more: The Real Origins of the Religious Right - Randall Balmer - POLITICO Magazine

"Racism is not about how you look, it is about how people assign meaning to how you look." Robin D.G. Kelley

"Our society seems remarkably uninterested in addressing the conditions that lead to such disparities in criminal offending. Black-white crime disparities would be much smaller if black-white employment and wealth disparities were smaller. Yet these crime disparities—often exaggerated in people’s minds—can easily undermine the sense of empathy and social connectedness we need to mobilize political support for measures that reduce these root-cause disparities." from above OP

"So, to say Obama is progress is saying that he's the first black person that is qualified to be president. That's not black progress. That's white progress. There's been black people qualified to be president for hundreds of years. If you saw Tina Turner and Ike having a lovely breakfast over there, would you say their relationship's improved? Some people would. But a smart person would go, "Oh, he stopped punching her in the face." It's not up to her. Ike and Tina Turner’s relationship has nothing to do with Tina Turner. Nothing. It just doesn't. The question is, you know, my kids are smart, educated, beautiful, polite children. There have been smart, educated, beautiful, polite black children for hundreds of years. The advantage that my children have is that my children are encountering the nicest white people that America has ever produced. Let's hope America keeps producing nicer white people." Chris Rock

Chris Rock on Ferguson Cosby and Obama -- Vulture

Chris Rock It x27 s not black people who have progressed. It x27 s white people. - Vox

Let's get serious here. There is only ONE form of Law Enforcement racism that is important in the big picture and it is this: Racism that results in random people belonging to a targeted group being convicted of misdemeanors and felonies of which they are innocent. Everything else is bullshit, and articles like the one linked above seek to gloss over the fact that they are talking about the different treatment of "Black" lawbreakers and "white" lawbreakers. Who cares? Parenthetically I will say that as a Criminal Justice undergrad many years ago, I found that "Black" kids were usually adjudicated guilty a number of times before they finally found themselves going to prison, while white kids went to jail on their first significant offense. Maybe things have changed, but I don't have the current data at my fingertips.

Call me when you have a pattern of INNOCENT "Black" people being indicted, tried, and convicted of crimes which they did not commit, solely because they were "driving while Black," or "being Black." When you establish a systematic pattern of this happening, I will march with you in the street.

The typical "Black" "hero" in these sorts of things is someone like Mumia Abu Jamal, who KILLED A COP, and has never even denied that he killed the cop, and now is used as a example of a "political prisoner." Total poppycock.

good grief, are black people ever TOLD they aren't A VICTIM? If people did that they wouldn't have an AGENDA they could stir up people with

Trump's shows how little America has changed.

"Over the next few months, pundits and scholars will dissect this election. Many will find fault with Hillary Clinton and her campaign. Some will blame James Comey and the FBI. Others will hold the third-party candidacies of Jill Stein and Gary Johnson responsible for her defeat. But most will talk about the discontent of working-class white Americans, how elites dismissed them with scorn and treated them with condescension, and how they, in the end, rejected the status quo and the economic philosophy that has left them behind. These are the folks Donald Trump called “the forgotten men and women of our country,” and this election will be read as their revenge.

But that is a lie. To be sure, non-college-educated, working-class white men overwhelmingly voted for Trump. But what the early exit-poll data, with all of its flaws, reveal is a much more complicated picture. The fact, and it is one this country must confront, is that the majority of White America voted for Trump to be the 45th President of the United States. According to the results of the Edison Research’s national election poll, 53% of white women voted for him and 48% of young white people supported him. Large numbers of college-educated white women (45%) and men (54%) voted for him. What is becoming increasingly clear is that White America, writ large, supported the candidate who wants to ban Muslims, build a wall on our southern border and deport undocumented workers; who calls himself the candidate of law and order; and who degrades and demeans women. This isn’t the revenge of working-class white men alone. White America—and I mean those who see themselves as white people, not as those who happen to be white—has struck back." Eddie S. Glaude, Jr. Nov. 9, 2016, Time Magazine

"Over the next few months, pundits and scholars will dissect this election. Many will find fault with Hillary Clinton and her campaign. Some will blame James Comey and the FBI. Others will hold the third-party candidacies of Jill Stein and Gary Johnson responsible for her defeat. But most will talk about the discontent of working-class white Americans, how elites dismissed them with scorn and treated them with condescension, and how they, in the end, rejected the status quo and the economic philosophy that has left them behind. These are the folks Donald Trump called “the forgotten men and women of our country,” and this election will be read as their revenge.

But that is a lie. To be sure, non-college-educated, working-class white men overwhelmingly voted for Trump. But what the early exit-poll data, with all of its flaws, reveal is a much more complicated picture. The fact, and it is one this country must confront, is that the majority of White America voted for Trump to be the 45th President of the United States. According to the results of the Edison Research’s national election poll, 53% of white women voted for him and 48% of young white people supported him. Large numbers of college-educated white women (45%) and men (54%) voted for him. What is becoming increasingly clear is that White America, writ large, supported the candidate who wants to ban Muslims, build a wall on our southern border and deport undocumented workers; who calls himself the candidate of law and order; and who degrades and demeans women. This isn’t the revenge of working-class white men alone. White America—and I mean those who see themselves as white people, not as those who happen to be white—has struck back." Eddie S. Glaude, Jr. Nov. 9, 2016, Time Magazine

Agreed. Actually, Obama illustrated just as much how little America has changed. The presence of a "Black man" in the White House" brought out the worst of an element that had become silent, but never really changed or went away.

"So, to say Obama is progress is saying that he's the first black person that is qualified to be president. That's not black progress. That's white progress. There's been black people qualified to be president for hundreds of years. If you saw Tina Turner and Ike having a lovely breakfast over there, would you say their relationship's improved? Some people would. But a smart person would go, "Oh, he stopped punching her in the face." It's not up to her. Ike and Tina Turner’s relationship has nothing to do with Tina Turner. Nothing. It just doesn't. The question is, you know, my kids are smart, educated, beautiful, polite children. There have been smart, educated, beautiful, polite black children for hundreds of years. The advantage that my children have is that my children are encountering the nicest white people that America has ever produced. Let's hope America keeps producing nicer white people." Chris Rock

Chris Rock on Ferguson Cosby and Obama -- Vulture

Chris Rock It x27 s not black people who have progressed. It x27 s white people. - Vox
Chris Rock is easily one of the most racist people in America today. There have been nice white people for hundreds of years.

Last edited:

Agreed. Actually, Obama illustrated just as much how little America has changed. The presence of a "Black man" in the White House" brought out the worst of an element that had become silent, but never really changed or went away.
The element that elected Obama is racist to the very core.

The element that elected Obama is racist to the very core.

Well Beav, Your sweeping, ignorant generalization includes Hispanics, Asians, white females, and the majority of first time voters, which means some young white people also had a part in electing him.

That's a shit load of "racists"

21 Eye Opening Obama Voter Demographics | BrandonGaille.com

Whenever I hear people say that America is no longer a racist nation, I go back to what they said and I listen carefully to what they say later, odd that most cannot even see themselves.

"In other words, we police black communities more heavily and we are more aggressive about enforcing drug laws against drugs that black people use more frequently. Controlling for those facts isn't helping you isolate the role racial discrimination plays in drug enforcement. Those facts are the role that racial discrimination plays in drug enforcement."

"In some ways, what's amazing about many of these studies is that they show a racial effect even after controlling for so much of racism's work. They show that racism exists even in our control society — the one with equality of income, and education, and neighborhood, and car choices. The one where we've wiped out most every difference but pigment. The one where we've left ourselves no excuses for our prejudice. It is remarkable how much discrimination can survive."

'How racial discrimination in law enforcement actually works' Ezra Klein

How racial discrimination in law enforcement actually works - Vox

And these:

'Asked and Answered: Reflections on White Anti-Racism, My Work and Certain Recurring Critiques'
Tim Wise Asked and Answered Reflections on White Anti-Racism My Work and Certain Recurring Critiques

"In an interesting new survey, the Public Religion Research Institute found that 10 percent of Americans believe business owners should be able to refuse to serve black people if they see that as a violation of their religious beliefs. This was pretty much the same across regions, too; the Northwest and the Midwest had slightly higher percentages than the South and the West. Gen X-ers, not old people, were most likely to agree — 13 percent said they support the right to refuse. Men were slightly more likely to agree than women, and Catholics slightly more likely than Protestants. Hispanics were the biggest outlier by far: 18 percent agreed with the right to refuse service to blacks." Racism Lives On Under the Cover of Religious Freedom - The Atlantic

'The Real Origins of the Religious Right' "They’ll tell you it was abortion. Sorry, the historical record’s clear: It was segregation."
Randall Balmer May 27, 2014 Read more: The Real Origins of the Religious Right - Randall Balmer - POLITICO Magazine

"Racism is not about how you look, it is about how people assign meaning to how you look." Robin D.G. Kelley

"Our society seems remarkably uninterested in addressing the conditions that lead to such disparities in criminal offending. Black-white crime disparities would be much smaller if black-white employment and wealth disparities were smaller. Yet these crime disparities—often exaggerated in people’s minds—can easily undermine the sense of empathy and social connectedness we need to mobilize political support for measures that reduce these root-cause disparities." from above OP

They police black communities more heavily because that's where most crime occurs.

Forum List

Back