Racing to the bottom?

hortysir

In Memorial of 47
Apr 30, 2010
Port Charlotte, FL
Making college more affordable under the threat of federal dollars.
Obama wants to make college more affordable | KTVB.COM Boise
Obama wants to make higher education affordable for everyone. To encourage schools to keep tuition down, Obama wants to give schools that provide students with the best value the most money.

So colleges strive to lower their costs in order to get more federal funding.

Government strives to find colleges that they can spend tons more cash on.

Colleges lower costs by hiring B-list educators!!

Win-win for everybody!!

:clap2:

Sorry bout that,

1. You are looking at this all wrong.
2. What Obama is saying is, " The value of higher education is over rated, and too expensive and not worth what you colleges and universities are trying to get now.
3. He is in effect trying to institute *Price Controls*.
4. Did we just turn communist over night or what, (?), he has already screwed up the healthcare industry with this concept.
5. This should be making all you libturds inner alarm go off right about now.:lol:
6. Maybe he should focus that energy on energy, like the price of a gallon of gas, what do ya think?:eusa_hand:

Regards,
SirJamesofTexas

The schools are in the business of selling credentials.

They decide what books the students have to buy, what to teach out of the books and what to put on the tests. If the student just focuses on the subject and goes looking for good books on the subject it is often not too difficult to find better books than what the schools are using.

So if we really wanted to educate people the thing to do is create a National Recommended Reading List.

But that would interfere with the business model of our educational system.

The Tyranny of Words (1938) by Stuart Chase
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9H1StY1nU8]"The Tyranny of Words" - YouTube[/ame]

The Accounting Game: Basic Accounting Fresh From the Lemonade Stand
The Accounting Game : Basic Accounting Fresh from the Lemonade Stand // Discounted Books from Excel Tip .com
Foolish Book Review: "The Accounting Game"

Teach Yourself Electricity and Electronics, by Stan Gibilisco
teach yourself electricity and electronics

The Art of Electronics by Horowitz and Hill
Download The Art of Electronics – Horowitz & Hill | books download

And now there is free software:

Solve Elec: draw and analyze electrical circuits
Solve Elec - Educational software

Celestia: space simulation of the universe in 3D
Celestia: Home

GeoGebra: Interactive graphics, algebra and spreadsheet
GeoGebra

Logisim: Digital logic circuit simulator
Logisim | Free Home & Education software downloads at SourceForge.net

We have created social structures whose vested interest is based on hiding information. But we now have a cybernetic society so the strategy is blasting people with BS so they can't find good information among all of the trash. So we should start telling each other about good info. But that contradicts our existing social habits.

psik

Yes. Just like everything this president proposes, he is spending taxpayer money - $10 billion - to "save" money.

“Well, people when I say that look at me and say, ‘What are you talking about? You’re telling me we have to go spend money to keep from going bankrupt?’” Biden said. “The answer is yes, I’m telling you.” - Joe Biden

Obamanomics.jpg

Our entire approach to educating our people needs a serious RETHINK.

Of course so does our entire way of governing at pretty much every aspect, so this ought not be a surprise.

I don't try to pretend that I understand corporate tax laws or the Higher Education budget, but it seems that the president want to "incentivize" universities to do the right thing.

Does he have the same philosophy when it comes to private industry? I think not.

Our entire approach to educating our people needs a serious RETHINK.

Of course so does our entire way of governing at pretty much every aspect, so this ought not be a surprise.

Absotively agree, Ed.

I see colleges gutting their budgets in order to make themselves more attractive to the Fed for more funding.
And what happens to those that have severely slashed their purse-strings only to find out they're standing at an empty trough?

The schools are in the business of selling credentials.

They decide what books the students have to buy, what to teach out of the books and what to put on the tests. If the student just focuses on the subject and goes looking for good books on the subject it is often not too difficult to find better books than what the schools are using.

Actually, employers do. Universities bend over backwards to make their graduates more attractive to the business world. The needs of employers, not educators, are the driving force behind how accreditation decisions are made, what goes into a course, and what students ultimately will see in a college classroom.

And I'd be surprised if there's a better Calculus book than Stewart's Calculus. If there is, I'd very much like to know. Book selection in math courses is a fairly big deal and I know I'm always struggling to find the best book available for the topic at hand. If I find a better book for Geometry, Abstract Algebra, etc, I use it. So far, what I'm using in the classroom is the best out there.

I don't care about what they do. As long as they lower the cost for the tuition fee so that I can continue my schooling.. Well, I am just expressing my opinion..:eusa_angel:

Forum List

Back