Racial profiling in Arizona?

LilOlLady

Gold Member
Apr 20, 2009
Reno, NV
That's nothing new, critics say

Sheriff Joe Arpaio has held illegal-immigration 'sweeps' for years in Maricopa County. They have made him popular in the state, but also have spurred lawsuits, investigations and complaints.May 01, 2010|By Nicholas Riccardi, Los AngelesTimes
Nick Oza / Arizona Republic
Reporting from Phoenix — — As the country debates whether a tough new Arizona law against illegal immigration will lead to racial profiling, Latino activists and civil rights attorneys contend that profiling is already a reality in the Maricopa County, where two-thirds of the state's residents live.
For three years, Maricopa County Sheriff Joe Arpaio has been arguably the most aggressive law enforcement official in the country in using his powers to enforce federal immigration laws. Most prominently, since 2008 he has sent hundreds of his deputies and sworn volunteers on "sweeps" through immigrant-heavy neighborhoods, where they stop jaywalkers or drivers with broken taillights and ask for identification and immigration information. An analysis by civil rights lawyers found 70% of those arrested in these operations have Spanish surnames. Maricopa County, which includes Phoenix and Scottsdale, is only 31% Latino, the majority of whom are legal residents or U.S. citizens.
Arpaio's tactics, which he says are necessary to suppress crime, have made him wildly popular in Arizona. But the mass arrests have also resulted in an investigation by the Department of Justice's Civil Rights Division, lawsuits from civil rights lawyers and complaints even from longtime police supporters like Dan Magos.
The 64-year-old contractor was pulled over by a sheriff's deputy in December, purportedly for not having a license plate on the trailer affixed to his pickup. Magos, a U.S. citizen since 1967, had a gun for protection inside his truck — which is legal under Arizona law and had never been an issue before with police. He said the deputy made him wait 10 minutes before letting him go with the words: "I don't want you to think this has anything to do with racial profiling."
Magos didn't believe him. "I lost respect for the sheriff's office, for his deputies," said Magos, who describes himself as the sort of citizen who regularly calls police to report the slightest disorder in his foothill neighborhood. "He changed my view of myself. I always felt American, no hyphenation. Now he put the hyphen on."

Justice department cannot touch him, because the Federal Immigration law allows him to do it.

That's nothing new, critics say

Sheriff Joe Arpaio has held illegal-immigration 'sweeps' for years in Maricopa County. They have made him popular in the state, but also have spurred lawsuits, investigations and complaints.May 01, 2010|By Nicholas Riccardi, Los AngelesTimes
Nick Oza / Arizona Republic
Reporting from Phoenix — — As the country debates whether a tough new Arizona law against illegal immigration will lead to racial profiling, Latino activists and civil rights attorneys contend that profiling is already a reality in the Maricopa County, where two-thirds of the state's residents live.
For three years, Maricopa County Sheriff Joe Arpaio has been arguably the most aggressive law enforcement official in the country in using his powers to enforce federal immigration laws. Most prominently, since 2008 he has sent hundreds of his deputies and sworn volunteers on "sweeps" through immigrant-heavy neighborhoods, where they stop jaywalkers or drivers with broken taillights and ask for identification and immigration information. An analysis by civil rights lawyers found 70% of those arrested in these operations have Spanish surnames. Maricopa County, which includes Phoenix and Scottsdale, is only 31% Latino, the majority of whom are legal residents or U.S. citizens.
Arpaio's tactics, which he says are necessary to suppress crime, have made him wildly popular in Arizona. But the mass arrests have also resulted in an investigation by the Department of Justice's Civil Rights Division, lawsuits from civil rights lawyers and complaints even from longtime police supporters like Dan Magos.
The 64-year-old contractor was pulled over by a sheriff's deputy in December, purportedly for not having a license plate on the trailer affixed to his pickup. Magos, a U.S. citizen since 1967, had a gun for protection inside his truck — which is legal under Arizona law and had never been an issue before with police. He said the deputy made him wait 10 minutes before letting him go with the words: "I don't want you to think this has anything to do with racial profiling."
Magos didn't believe him. "I lost respect for the sheriff's office, for his deputies," said Magos, who describes himself as the sort of citizen who regularly calls police to report the slightest disorder in his foothill neighborhood. "He changed my view of myself. I always felt American, no hyphenation. Now he put the hyphen on."

Justice department cannot touch him, because the Federal Immigration law allows him to do it.

. . . And the Republic's point is what, precisely? Is it supposed to impress anyone that 70% of the people stopped in "immigrant-heavy" neighborhoods IN ARIZONA are going to have Hispanic surnames? I mean, good God. If the San Francisco PD decided to set up a speed trap or a drunk-driving checkpoint in Chinatown, what do you suppose the odds are that at least 70% of the people they stopped would have Chinese surnames? So what? Where else are you going to look for illegal immigrants, if not for poor, immigrant-heavy neighborhoods with lots of people who speak their language? Looking among the millionaires in mansions in Paradise Valley and Scottsdale is probably not going to net you a whole bunch of illegals, y'know?

I love that "purportedly for not having a license plate on his trailer" line. Did he HAVE a license plate on his trailer? No? Then how does he "know" he wasn't really pulled over for that? Did they tell him so? Or is he just "intuiting" it?

Y'know, I was just thinking. I once got pulled over for purportedly having an expired registration tag on my car. And . . . and the cop was Hispanic! I was racially profiled because he hates white women!

. . . Or maybe it was because I had an expired registration tag on my car.

If the worst complaint you have is that you were stopped for "breaking the law while brown", tell it to someone who cares. In the words of one of my favorite songs, my give a damn's busted. :eusa_hand:

FOXNews.com - 21 People Arrested During Immigration Raids at ...Mar 26, 2010 ... Those arrested during the raid of four McDonald's in Scottsdale, Tempe and Mesa were being held on suspicion of identity theft.
www.foxnews.com/.../2010/.../people-arrested-immigration-raids-arizona-mcdonalds/ - Cached
Sheriff Arpiao doing his job.

Census Bureau Asks That Immigration Raids Halt for 2010 Count ...Aug 16, 2007 ... Census Bureau Asks That Immigration Raids Halt for 2010 Count, The Census Bureau wants immigration agents to suspend enforcement raids ...
Breaking News | Latest News | Current News - FOXNews.com › POLITICS - Cached - Similar

Post Now - Immigration raid takes 29 into custody in Maryland Mar 12, 2010 ... Federal immigration officials took 29 people into custody during several simultaneous raids in Maryland, the Baltimore Sun reports. ...
voices.washingtonpost.com/local.../immigration-raid-takes-29-into.html

Will the ICE immigration raids in Santa Ana hurt the 2010 Census ...Jan 4, 2010 ... Posted February 10, 2010 at 9:35 PM. myself and children have been effected by this ice raid in the most horrible way. my husband has been ...
orangejuiceblog.com/2010/.../will-the-ice-immigration-raids-in-santa-ana-hurt-the-2010-census/ - Cached - Similar

Immigration Raid Rips Families - washingtonpost.comMar 18, 2007 ... They come to the United States to provide a better life for their families, ... She was always afraid of an immigration raid, ...
washingtonpost.com - nation, world, technology and Washington area news and headlines › ... › Special Reports › Immigration Debate - Similar

Nearly 600 detained in Mississippi immigration raid - USATODAY.comAug 26, 2008 ... The largest single-workplace immigration raid in US history has caused ... at Swift meatpacking plants in Nebraska and five other states. ...
www.usatoday.com/news/.../2008-08-26-raid-miss_N.htm - Cached - Similar

Isn't this RACIAL PROFILING by Federal immigration?

There has been a law on the books in Prince William County VA that is almost exactly like the AZ law and in that time there has not been a rash of racial profiling.

Pr. William Passes Resolution Targeting Illegal Immigration - washingtonpost.com

Prince William immigration law remains controversial

How come none of you dimmies were calling for the boycotting of VA in 2007? And why has this law, so similar to AZ, not been in the news more?

Maybe because it was done right and profiling on the basis of race did not happen.

There has been a law on the books in Prince William County VA that is almost exactly like the AZ law and in that time there has not been a rash of racial profiling.

Pr. William Passes Resolution Targeting Illegal Immigration - washingtonpost.com

How come none of you dimmies were calling for the boycotting of VA in 2007? And why has this law, so similar to AZ, not been in the news more?

Maybe because it was done right and profiling on the basis of race did not happen.

Maybe because the problem isn't as serious in VA as it is in AZ.

There no racial profiling in Az, its the latino watch groups whinny effort to get support.

Maybe because the problem isn't as serious in VA as it is in AZ.

Which is exactly why the AZ law is necessary. And there is no reason to believe the law cannot be applied fairly.

There no racial profiling in Az, its the latino watch groups whinny effort to get support.

It's the open border creeps and pro-illegal orgs who are keeping this AZ law in the forefront. They know that it IS within the law and it will stand up in court - they just want an across the board amnesty for those here knowing it will help their cause down the road.

It's the open border creeps and pro-illegal orgs who are keeping this AZ law in the forefront. They know that it IS within the law and it will stand up in court - they just want an across the board amnesty for those here knowing it will help their cause down the road.

Pretty much confirming what i said.

Edged on by Obama, Calderone, Holder and Napolitano's attacking the Arizona law with their rhetoric, inciting racial tension and giveing illegal aliens a false sense of "entitlement" and "impowerment". that could do them more harm than good.
Raids will continue and Arpiao has been given the right to do so. Calling them "sweeps" make no difference. Feds conduct raids. Is that unconstitutional and racial profiling. Get the hell over it.

Forum List

Back