Race

Wingsofwind

Nov 2, 2010
What is 'race'?

Many try to say that Latino is not a race but rather an ethnicity. However, when you do some research on the term 'race' you find that it includes ethnicity as one way of determining some one's race.

We know that when someone uses the word 'White' when referring to a race, we do not picture Latinos. Many would say that Latinos are actually 'White', so why don't we picture a Latino when referring to 'Whites'?

To me it would be because Latino would be a race of it's self. It may not have been an original 'race', however, we do know that breading different 'races' of dog or cat would result in a new 'race' of dog or cat. So why wouldn't it work with humans?

Don't get me wrong here, I am not bashing Latinos. I am simply providing something to discuss or think about.

If I hadn't have just swallowed 2 advils and half a melatonin, I'd muse on this with you. But pretty soon my aches will be a dull roar and my eyes will droop...and when that happens, I tend to lean over the keyboard and eventually.l;;gpwigrgaejjgppjh./4909irjemapgg....um....my forehead winds up ON the 3408085y30jjenhouheo0jhhjopashsohjoiu0.....then I wake myself back up again. So, I won't make much senseyopuiwryjpihjhjshpihjipshjhpsjhspujhjeprogkje0tiouhj

If I hadn't have just swallowed 2 advils and half a melatonin, I'd muse on this with you. But pretty soon my aches will be a dull roar and my eyes will droop...and when that happens, I tend to lean over the keyboard and eventually.l;;gpwigrgaejjgppjh./4909irjemapgg....um....my forehead winds up ON the 3408085y30jjenhouheo0jhhjopashsohjoiu0.....then I wake myself back up again. So, I won't make much senseyopuiwryjpihjhjshpihjipshjhpsjhspujhjeprogkje0tiouhj

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Terms like Latino, Hispanic, or Gringo, are generalizing references to cultural differences rather than race.

Except of course, by people who think about RACE a lot.

They might believe that there is a race called Latino or Gringo but that is really an indication of their own state of confusion about the subject.

Last edited:
Terms like Latino, Hispanic, or Gringo, are generalizing references to cultural differences rather than race.

Except of course, by people who think about RACE a lot.

They might believe that there is a race called Latino or Gringo but that is really an indication of their own state of confusion about the subject.

Actually 'Gringo' is a term used by Latinos when referring to foreigners. The word got a bad rep. when they started using it to belittle foreigners, thus anyone they do not see as one of them, they use it in referring to outsiders.

'Gringo' has turned into a slang word. It does not have anything to do with race or even ethnicity. Though many Latinos use it in referring to 'Whites' more times than any other race. (I know this because of the Latino friends I have and how they explained the word 'gringo' to me, one is also a professor at our community collage who teaches Spanish.)

Latino is not a slang word and IS referring to ethnicity. And many, though it is not defined as such, believe it has become a 'race'.

Last edited:
Gringo is only derogatory when preceded by "fucking".

I don't know that this is true, but I was told once that American Whites would sing the song "Green Grow the Lilacs" some time ago while visiting Mexico and that term "gringo" is a bastardization of the words "Green Grow".

May or may not be true. No supports.

Originally posted by Wingsofwind
We know that when someone uses the word 'White' when referring to a race, we do not picture Latinos. Many would say that Latinos are actually 'White', so why don't we picture a Latino when referring to 'Whites'?

If the words Latino/Hispanic bring to the minds of the american people ONLY the image of a mestizo, half white, half indian, or a mulatto, white/black, I'd suggest there's a HUGE gap in their education because Latin America is home to millions upon millions of white people.

Are Latin American whites "real whites"?

I answer this question with another question:

Are american whites "real whites"?

Do you seriously believe there was no race mixing in the US during the last 390 years?

Are russians "real whites"?

Do you seriously believe there was no race mixing between whites and asians in Russia during the last 2000 years?

Last edited:
This brazilian girl is "Latina" but she's a lot whiter than many american whites with anglo-saxon names:

gisele-bundchen.jpg

Conclusion:

Latino/Hispanic is an ethnicity, a cultural concept, not a race (even though race and ethnicity are sometimes correlated).

Case closed.

Last edited:
In traditional anthropological studies there actually are 5 "races." These are:

1) Mongoloid (Asian and American Indian)
2) Caucasoid (European)
3) Australoid (Australian and oceanic)
4) Negroid (east African black)
5) Capoid (south African black)

But there is a problem with terminology when we add the human "race" and ask, which "race" does one belong to?

I use the word "race" when I don't wish to digress from a topic. But I believe the correct terminology in referring to ethnic categories is sub-species. I.e., we all belong to the human species, which is host to five sub-species. It is likely that the word "race" was adopted by early social scholars who felt the more accurate and appropriate term sub-species uncomfortably associated humans with "lesser" animals.

The fact is we humans are just another species of animal and like other animal species we tend to gravitate toward those who are most like us -- i.e., members of our own sub-species.

Birds of a feather do flock together.

I once drove my wife and her mother to Larado to visit my father-in-law's grave site. While in town we took in the local sites. Mostly places they used to live and where my wife was born and things like that.

As we left heading back towards Corpus Christi my Mother-in-law says "Hey Ollie, did you notice? You were the only gringo in the whole town."

To which I immediately replied, "Yep, the rest were all wetbacks."

We do so love each other...........

Actually this is a good thing, for nearly 20 years she only called me "That man"........

Don't get confused on this.

Race springs from genetics... if your "continent of origin" is Europe, you are white, if it's Africa, you're black, if it's Asia, you're Asian.

"Hispanic" is typically a mix of white and American Indian/Native American... which historically is Asian (they crossed the land bridge from Asia to the Americas). The ratio can vary... from 100 percent "Indian" to 100 percent white... in the "Latino" world.

The genes, however, always remain. A Swede can speak Spanish, but it doesn't change his DNA.

And thank GOD for Gisele Bundchen!

José;3643606 said:
Are Latin American whites "real whites"?

I answer this question with another question:

Are american whites "real whites"?

Do you seriously believe there was no race mixing in the US during the last 390 years?

Are russians "real whites"?

Do you seriously believe there was no race mixing between whites and asians in Russia during the last 2000 years?

A little bit, but not enough to render the concept of race -- and people's everyday conclusions -- a nullity. The fact of "green-blue" does not mean that neither green nor blue exist!

Originally posted by William Joyce
"Hispanic" is typically a mix of white and American Indian/Native American... which historically is Asian (they crossed the land bridge from Asia to the Americas).
Totally delusional, Joyce! If Hispanic/Latino = White + Indian then half of Latin America's population is not Latino!! I expected better from you.

Whites comprise almost half of all the people in Latin America. Most of them do not look like Gisele Bundchen, I give you that. They are mostly of Southern European stock meaning that you cannot distinguish between them and the people of Spain, Italy, France, etc...

They may not look like blonde, tall, leggy Valkyries coming down the skies to take the dead viking warriors to Valhalla in Asgard but they are definitely white!!

Last edited:
A little bit, but not enough to render the concept of race -- and people's everyday conclusions -- a nullity. The fact of "green-blue" does not mean that neither green nor blue exist!

Agree 100%.

There's a funny saying in the slavic world:

"If you scrape a Russian, you'll find a Mongol".

The saying is an obvious exaggeration created for humor purposes but be that as it may, the historical reality of race mixing in America (390 years) and Russia (much more than 2000 years) cannot be (ab)used to "deny the existence" of white Americans and white Russians.

Similarly, race mixing in Mexico, Central and South America cannot be (ab)used to "deny the existence" of white Latin Americans (who are all Hispanics/Latinos too) like Wingsofwind (and yourself) seem to be doing.

Last edited:
What is 'race'?

Many try to say that Latino is not a race but rather an ethnicity. However, when you do some research on the term 'race' you find that it includes ethnicity as one way of determining some one's race.

To me it would be because Latino would be a race of it's self. It may not have been an original 'race', however, we do know that breading different 'races' of dog or cat would result in a new 'race' of dog or cat. So why wouldn't it work with humans?

Don't get me wrong here, I am not bashing Latinos. I am simply providing something to discuss or think about.

Latinos are white people with a good tan.

José;3644661 said:
"Hispanic" is typically a mix of white and American Indian/Native American... which historically is Asian (they crossed the land bridge from Asia to the Americas).
Totally delusional, Joyce! If Hispanic/Latino = White + Indian then half of Latin America's population is not Latino!! I expected better from you.

Whites comprise almost half of all the people in Latin America. Most of them do not look like Gisele Bundchen, I give you that. They are mostly of Southern European stock meaning that you cannot distinguish between them and the people of Spain, Italy, France, etc...

They may not look like blonde, tall, leggy Valkyries coming down the skies to take the dead viking warriors to Valhalla in Asgard but they are definitely white!!

I realize there are plenty of 100 percent European-descended people in South America... what I was aiming at was the American perception of "Hispanic", a word that actually derives from "Hispanola" i.e. Spain. When we Americans say "Hispanic", that's usually what's meant... George Lopez a little more on the Indian side, Jennifer Lopez a little more on the white side.

I would be curious to know whether a fair-skinned white person from Spain is included in "Aztlan", or the concept of Hispanic nationalism.

Last edited:
I realize there are plenty of 100 percent European-descended people in South America... what I was aiming at was the American perception of "Hispanic", a word that actually derives from "Hispanola" i.e. Spain. When we Americans say "Hispanic", that's usually what's meant... George Lopez a little more on the Indian side, Jennifer Lopez a little more on the white side.

Glad to know you can see through this bullshit. You're far too intelligent to swallow this crap. The american perception of "Hispanic" fits the definition of a blanket statement to a t:

"Hispanics are non-whites with varying degrees of Indian blood".

Well, half of white America has "varying degrees of Indian (or black) blood" so they don't qualify as "real whites" either.

As you rightly pointed out, Latin America, just like the USA, received millions of European immigrants in the 20th century (most from Latin countries but also millions of germans (like Gisele's grandparents), poles, etc, etc...). The children of these recently arrived immigrants can trace their roots back to the old country.

There are also millions of whites who descend from the the first waves of Spanish and Portuguese colonists that have some Indian and african blood not too different from half of white Americans who can trace their ancestry back to the 17th century and virtually the entire country of Russia.

Forum List

Back