Race

Discussion in 'Race Relations/Racism' started by Wingsofwind, May 15, 2011.

1. Wingsofwind

Wingsofwind Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +72
    What is 'race'?

Many try to say that Latino is not a race but rather an ethnicity. However, when you do some research on the term 'race' you find that it includes ethnicity as one way of determining some one's race.

We know that when someone uses the word 'White' when referring to a race, we do not picture Latinos. Many would say that Latinos are actually 'White', so why don't we picture a Latino when referring to 'Whites'?

To me it would be because Latino would be a race of it's self. It may not have been an original 'race', however, we do know that breading different 'races' of dog or cat would result in a new 'race' of dog or cat. So why wouldn't it work with humans?

Don't get me wrong here, I am not bashing Latinos. I am simply providing something to discuss or think about.

2. Grace

Grace BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +742
    If I hadn't have just swallowed 2 advils and half a melatonin, I'd muse on this with you. But pretty soon my aches will be a dull roar and my eyes will droop...and when that happens, I tend to lean over the keyboard and eventually.l;;gpwigrgaejjgppjh./4909irjemapgg....um....my forehead winds up ON the 3408085y30jjenhouheo0jhhjopashsohjoiu0.....then I wake myself back up again. So, I won't make much senseyopuiwryjpihjhjshpihjipshjhpsjhspujhjeprogkje0tiouhj

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  3. Wingsofwind

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +72
    :lol: :lol: :lol:

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  4. editec

editec Mr. Forgot-it-All

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,617
    Terms like Latino, Hispanic, or Gringo, are generalizing references to cultural differences rather than race.

Except of course, by people who think about RACE a lot.

They might believe that there is a race called Latino or Gringo but that is really an indication of their own state of confusion about the subject.

Last edited: May 15, 2011
  5. Wingsofwind

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +72
    Actually 'Gringo' is a term used by Latinos when referring to foreigners. The word got a bad rep. when they started using it to belittle foreigners, thus anyone they do not see as one of them, they use it in referring to outsiders.

'Gringo' has turned into a slang word. It does not have anything to do with race or even ethnicity. Though many Latinos use it in referring to 'Whites' more times than any other race. (I know this because of the Latino friends I have and how they explained the word 'gringo' to me, one is also a professor at our community collage who teaches Spanish.)

Latino is not a slang word and IS referring to ethnicity. And many, though it is not defined as such, believe it has become a 'race'.

6. Douger

Douger BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +915
    Gringo is only derogatory when preceded by "fucking".

7. code1211

code1211 Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +845

I don't know that this is true, but I was told once that American Whites would sing the song "Green Grow the Lilacs" some time ago while visiting Mexico and that term "gringo" is a bastardization of the words "Green Grow".

May or may not be true. No supports.

8. José

José Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +360
    If the words Latino/Hispanic bring to the minds of the american people ONLY the image of a mestizo, half white, half indian, or a mulatto, white/black, I'd suggest there's a HUGE gap in their education because Latin America is home to millions upon millions of white people.

9. José

José Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +360
    Are Latin American whites "real whites"?

I answer this question with another question:

Are american whites "real whites"?

Do you seriously believe there was no race mixing in the US during the last 390 years?

Are russians "real whites"?

Do you seriously believe there was no race mixing between whites and asians in Russia during the last 2000 years?

10. José

José Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +360
    This brazilian girl is "Latina" but she's a lot whiter than many american whites with anglo-saxon names:

[​IMG]

Conclusion:

Latino/Hispanic is an ethnicity, a cultural concept, not a race (even though race and ethnicity are sometimes correlated).

Case closed.