R.I.P. The Askew Crapper

Dan

Aug 28, 2003
Aiken, SC
Well, looks like the ol' Crapper is about to have its final flush (HA!). I kinda wish I would've put up a final article now.

But, in the end, the reason I stopped doing them was twofold...

1) I'm not really all that amused with my shortcomings in life anymore. My life isn't funny to me anymore, and therefore, I had trouble writing humorous stuff about it.

and

2) I'm seriously doubting my skills as a writer anymore. I look back at the articles that are up there and just cringe. I've been doing that with pretty much everything I've written. This is really disturbing me a lot right now, because my only dream in life was to be a writer, and I'm starting to realize that I don't have the talent and I'm not going to get the talent.

Also, I'm not so sure people really care anymore, to be honest.

I may try to slap up at least a real short article to put up there, if only because the latest one up there is not the way I want my very very few readers to rememer the column.

Well, for what it's worth, I enjoyed reading your last post you put up on the old board.

Writing takes practice... you're not going to get where you think you want to be without jumping in and doing it.

FWIW..I think if you look back at old writing and cringe..then thats a sign of getting better. You realize your shortcomigs now. Now all you have to do is improve them. I think your selling yourself short. I really enjoyed your movie script. Stop being such a pansy arteest and just friggin write!! :)

Stop being such a pansy arteest and just friggin write

Well, at the moment, school pretty much entirely consists of just reading and writing (3 English classes will do that for you), so I haven't been too in the mood to write lately. I've gotten roughly ten pages done on that script in the past month or so. Slow and steady.

And, it seems like everyone likes the stoner. So, I'll give the people what they want, he doesn't die in the first half hour or so anymore. I got to thinking how pissed I was when they killed off Randy in Scream 2, and I didn't want other people getting pissed at me.

A little too hard on yourself Dan! why not let us judge and let you know what you think instead of assuming. I enjoyed reading your articles. You have to have a positive mind and not so negative all the time. Keep them coming! school, yes, comes first, but in the spare time that you have, is the time to sit and write.

Well, the articles are done, I think. Here's a summary of what weekly articles about my life would look like....

"Can't find a job. Watched some TV the other day."

"Still no job. Watched some more TV."

"No. TV."

But, the thing is, with the exception of maybe 2 or three people, the only people who have read my stuff are my family and close friends, so I'm not sure if you guys are just saying I'm a good writer because we're close and everyone knows I want to be a writer.

I know that's what it seems Dan, I guess I would feel the same way, but had I thought I didn't like it, I might say it in a polite way! just keep focused and keep going, everything takes time. Positive attitude will get you a long way!!!!!! just keep up the good work.

Uhhmm I really dont know you..all that well..just from on here. I doubt I would come out and tell you that you suck..but I wouldnt patronize you either. I would have Jim tell you that you suck!! LOL

Well, there you have it Dan, and Jackass is right, he doesn't know you, never met you. And, don't go thinking because he knows Jim that he will respect you or say good things about your writing, if he didn't like it, he probably would do just as he said, and that's tell Jim it sucked! :) So, just keep up the good work, and bring us some more. I am still waiting for the ending of the story!

Let me say, the middle and end of story!!!! just more curious to know what happens in end. :)

Originally posted by Dan
Well, at the moment, school pretty much entirely consists of just reading and writing (3 English classes will do that for you), so I haven't been too in the mood to write lately. I've gotten roughly ten pages done on that script in the past month or so. Slow and steady.

And, it seems like everyone likes the stoner. So, I'll give the people what they want, he doesn't die in the first half hour or so anymore. I got to thinking how pissed I was when they killed off Randy in Scream 2, and I didn't want other people getting pissed at me.

Oh Dan that is a big mistake! You don't give people what they want you give them what you want! Make them want you! Let me tell you, most people do not know what they want - untill they see - in this case - read it.
I just wrote this bit off the top of my head, another gruesome story that just sort of flowed out of me in a creative river way - I had no idea all these readers would come back and ask for more! This story was just written in minuets I tell you and I thought no one would bother to finish it, and if they did, I would recieve a boot in the mouth for writing such trash! Now I have to finish it and I have no idea how it ends- not now - my creative river stopped for the moment.

I meant to post about that script, Janeen, I think you might get your wish after all! I worked out some of the major problems in it and I'm about halfway done now! It's still nothing I'd ever do anything with, but I'll let ya read it once it's done.

Forum List

Back