R.I.P. Ray Bradbury

His best work was his earliest, and that was The Martian Chronicles. Vignettes from the MC appeared in E.C. Comics with wonderful artwork. That was its best representation as SciFi, since it was actually fantasy more than science fiction.

I read all his work, and to me Fahrenheit 451 was the least of it; but that's just me. Imagine a future world in which people would be so hypnotized by TV and other techno-media that they would no longer read real books, nay, books would become so out of vogue that it would be the job of "firemen" to burn books when their hidden staches were reported to authorities by informers.

Yes, nobody has transistors in the ears, huge flat screen TVS they watch hours a day, nor smaller screens with which they communicate with others. Books are still the same as always.....:cuckoo:

Peach, if I know anything, it's that I know you're too smart to fail to sense sarcasm, even when it's imbedded without the redundancy of contrived BB-codes ...

When I visit our local Barnes & Noble Bookseller I wait in line behind other customers carrying stacks of books that make me wonder how they can afford all of them there are so many

And as for me, I'd prefer to buy and read a hard copy, paperback or hardbound than read from a kindle of any grade. I like being able to pass them on or trade them off for others.

And as for Bradbury, I prefer to believe his theme was that people would become pawns to the approved media for information vital to their participation in their civil society; something with an acronym like MSM.

Last edited:
Amazing author whom I admired greatly. His work lives on in our minds.

R.I.P. Ray Bradbury, Author of Fahrenheit 451 and The Martian Chronicles

He is/was born and raised from my neck of the woods.

The Martian Chronicles and the towns in most of his fictional work is based on is based on Waukegan Illinois (a town I lived in and am very familiar with).

RIP.... I was never a fan of fiction but Bradbury actually wrote fiction I enjoyed to read, and the movie adaptions to his books were fantastic.

His best work was his earliest, and that was The Martian Chronicles. Vignettes from the MC appeared in E.C. Comics with wonderful artwork. That was its best representation as SciFi, since it was actually fantasy more than science fiction.

I read all his work, and to me Fahrenheit 451 was the least of it; but that's just me. Imagine a future world in which people would be so hypnotized by TV and other techno-media that they would no longer read real books, nay, books would become so out of vogue that it would be the job of "firemen" to burn books when their hidden staches were reported to authorities by informers.

Yes, nobody has transistors in the ears, huge flat screen TVS they watch hours a day, nor smaller screens with which they communicate with others. Books are still the same as always.....:cuckoo:

Peach, if I know anything, it's that I know you're too smart to fail to sense sarcasm, even when it's imbedded without the redundancy of contrived BB-codes ...

When I visit our local Barnes & Noble Bookseller I wait in line behind other customers carrying stacks of books that make me wonder how they can afford all of them there are so many

And as for me, I'd prefer to buy and read a hard copy, paperback or hardbound than read from a kindle of any grade. I like being able to pass them on or trade them off for others.

And as for Bradbury, I prefer to believe his theme was that people would become pawns to the approved media for information vital to their participation in their civil society; something with an acronym like MSM.

I answered back with a smart a*ss remark, yes. I prefer books to "e-books" also. Articles are ok online, but books are books. No machines needed, besides I tend to stop reading online when there are thunderstorms; this is day three of them in my area. There is nothing as comforting as a book in hand. I thought about a machine to read books, because I am short on storage space, some old books are getting soggy, even in the shed, and some are tough to find. But in the end, I'm going to Alibris, eBay, and other sites for a used copy of Dandelion Wine.

New Topics

Forum List

Back