R.I.P Peter Graves who starred in the Original 'Mission Impossible'.

Jan 17, 2010
Mississippi
He was a good actor and was the brother of Gunsmoke's James Arness who played Matt Dillon. My favorite role he played was the pilot in the funny movie Airplane.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIAUbPDgaAg&feature=related]YouTube - 10 Funniest "Airplane" Quotes[/ame]

Home Item

Peter Graves, the rugged actor who starred in the hit TV series "Mission: Impossible" and whose career took a comic turn in the disaster spoof "Airplane!" has died. He was 83.

Graves was found dead Sunday afternoon in front of his Pacific Palisades home from apparent natural causes, said Officer Karen Rayner of the Los Angeles Police Department.

Graves had just returned from brunch with his family to celebrate his upcoming 84th birthday. He collapsed on the driveway before he could reach his house, said Sandy Brokaw, his publicist. One of Graves' daughters administered cardiopulmonary resuscitation but was unable to revive him, Brokaw said.

Graves starred in more than 70 television series and feature films, typically playing the straight-laced hero. One of his first major roles was in the 1953 classic, "Stalag 17," in which he played an undercover Nazi spy placed among American POWs in a German camp.

His most memorable role was in "Mission: Impossible," the 1960s CBS series in which he played intelligence agent James Phelps, leader of the elite Impossible Missions Force. The show ran from 1967 to 1973 on CBS and 1988 to 1990 on ABC.

Every week, Graves could be seen listening to a tape of instructions for carrying out his team's secret missions. He won a Golden Globe in 1971 for his role.

"Mission: Impossible," along with other Western, military and action parts in the 1970s, branded Graves as an actor who could deliver solid, straight-shooting roles. But that changed in 1980, when he became the star of the comedy "Airplane!," in which he played Capt. Clarence Oveur, the bumbling pilot whose one-liners included, "Joey, do you like movies about gladiators?"

"Joey, do you like movies about gladiators?"

LMAOF!

That still busts me up.

I wonder where Joey is now?

RIP Mr. Graves.

...and yet another fine actor passes from life amongst us.

R.I.P. Peter Aurness. You are among the most memorable of actors.

He had a nice list of TV and movie roles, Stalag 17 is a great flix.

I also remmeber him from the two WWII mini series of the 80s, winds of war and war and rememberance.

I remember Peter being one of the hosts on Biography on The History Chanel

He had a great voice

Graves was the younger brother of actor James "Matt Dillon" Arness of "Gunsmoke".

The role of Matt Dillon was originally was to have been played by John "The Duke" Wayne. He didn't like the long shooting schedule that were required for T.V. Programs at the time and reccomended Arness for the role.

Forum List

Back