Quotes from the American Taliban

And you wonder, after reading the quotes made by these politicians, judges, POTUS's, and political organization leaders, why people who aren't Christian feel so threatened by the religion that so dominates this country and react so strongly to evangelism and legislated Christian beliefs.

And you wonder, after reading the quotes made by these politicians, judges, POTUS's, and political organization leaders, why people who aren't Christian feel so threatened by the religion that so dominates this country and react so strongly to evangelism and legislated Christian beliefs.

which legislated christian beliefs are you talking about?

Do you really need me to answer this for you? Is it not just totally plain as day what Christians agendas have been made into law or are threatening to be made law? I have repeatedly answered this question in other threads on this forum. TO find the answer: google it. Start with Prop. 8.

Do you really need me to answer this for you? Is it not just totally plain as day what Christians agendas have been made into law or are threatening to be made law? I have repeatedly answered this question in other threads on this forum. TO find the answer: google it. Start with Prop. 8.

if you don't want to answer, that's fine.

The American Taliban

Amazing how ignorant some humans can be.

Maybe I missed it, but where have you spoken out against the nut jobs that are the ACTUAL taliban? I mean, sure these people sound unhinged, but I don't recall them sawing anyone's head off, so I'm just wondering where you're coming from.

if you don't want to answer, that's fine.

Sorry, del, I didn't mean to sound angry or anything. Today hasn't started out well and I'm grumpy. Then I read the page linked in YWN666's OP and got really frustrated. My apologies.

The Moral Majority is nothing NEW

jerry_falwell0515.jpg

"If we are going to save America and evangelize the world, we cannot accommodate secular philosophies that are diametrically opposed to Christian truth ... We need to pull out all the stops to recruit and train 25 million Americans to become informed pro-moral activists whose voices can be heard in the halls of Congress."

"I am convinced that America can be turned around if we will all get serious about the Master's business. It may be late, but it is never too late to do what is right. We need an old-fashioned, God-honoring, Christ-exalting revival to turn American back to God. America can be saved!"

Jerry Falwell
"Moral Majority Report" for September, 1984

adolf_hitler_biography_4.jpg

"The national government will maintain and defend the foundations on which the power of our nation rests. It will offer strong protection to Christianity as the very basis of our collective morality."

"Today Christians stand at the head of our country. I pledge that I will never tie myself to parties who want to destroy Christianity... We want to fill our culture again with the Christian spirit.... We want to burn out all the recent immoral developments in literature, in the theatre, and in the press - in short, we want to burn out the poison of immorality which has entered into our whole life and culture as a result of liberal excess during the past few years."

Adolf Hitler
The Speeches of Adolph Hitler, 1922-1939, Vol. 1 (London, Oxford University Press, 1942), pg. 871-872.

Huh! Anne Coulter. Another armchair sabre rattler!

"We should invade their countries, kill their leaders and convert them to Christianity

I bet you won't find the likes of her in the front line yelling onward Christian soldiers. No, she's all for sending young men and women to fight the war she so obviously craves, providing none of her's are involved.

Grow a set of balls Anne, put on a kevlar helmet and put your money where your mouth is. Otherwise, STFU and stick to knitting.

As for those who would force their beliefs on others, I view them in the same light as I view Islamic fundamentalists. I'm sure I don't have to explain further.

And for policy affecting the rest of the world, google the "global gag order."

The American Taliban

Maybe I missed it, but where have you spoken out against the nut jobs that are the ACTUAL taliban? I mean, sure these people sound unhinged, but I don't recall them sawing anyone's head off, so I'm just wondering where you're coming from.

The actual Taliban in Afghanistan are unrelated to this so I don't get why you think I have to speak out against them in order to use the word "Taliban" to describe some Americans? Are the words quoted any more acceptable just because another group is being barbaric? What's your point?

The American Taliban

The actual Taliban in Afghanistan are unrelated to this so I don't get why you think I have to speak out against them in order to use the word "Taliban" to describe some Americans? Are the words quoted any more acceptable just because another group is being barbaric? What's your point?

My point? That you're being a hypocrite. If you're going to condemn these people the others should surely be in line in front of them.

My point? That you're being a hypocrite. If you're going to condemn these people the others should surely be in line in front of them.

Except that for us non-believers who are US Citizens, these people are profoundly more dangerous to our government and our way of life than the Taliban or Al Qaida.

I've seen your posts about Christianity, Amanda, and although I think you're a sweet person for the most part, you're being an apologist. Just because these people label themselves as Christians, or believe that Jesus is the savior of all humankind, doesn't mean that they're good people or righteous. Don't defend them if they're preaching hate or theocracy, because those aren't very "American" ideals. Anyway, it makes you look like you support the statements and activities that these people made and did.

The 2 are not related so your comment is not logical. This has nothing to do with the Taliban in Afghanistan and the quotes from the "American Taliban" are not even in the same ballpark as the behavior of the Taliban in Afghanistan.
If I posted criticism of the "Trenchcoat Mafia" that terrorized students at Columbine High School, would you demand that I first condemn the organized crime "mafia"? The only similarity between the two is the word used to describe them. Your criticism is silly and unwarranted.

Except that for us non-believers who are US Citizens, these people are profoundly more dangerous to our government and our way of life than the Taliban or Al Qaida.

I've seen your posts about Christianity, Amanda, and although I think you're a sweet person for the most part, you're being an apologist. Just because these people label themselves as Christians, or believe that Jesus is the savior of all humankind, doesn't mean that they're good people or righteous. Don't defend them if they're preaching hate or theocracy, because those aren't very "American" ideals. Anyway, it makes you look like you support the statements and activities that these people made and did.

You're making unwarranted assumptions Colorado. I go to a Baptist church and I call myself a Christian, but I don't think these nuts represent me. I'm just confused as to the outrage placed on people that aren't decapitating people when there are more pressing problems abroad.

I wish I had a magic wand and could make everyone happy, but I don't, so for now I have to prioritize... do you think these nuts are worse than those in the ME?

The 2 are not related so your comment is not logical. This has nothing to do with the Taliban in Afghanistan and the quotes from the "American Taliban" are not even in the same ballpark as the behavior of the Taliban in Afghanistan.
If I posted criticism of the "Trenchcoat Mafia" that terrorized students at Columbine High School, would you demand that I first condemn the organized crime "mafia"? The only similarity between the two is the word used to describe them. Your criticism is silly and unwarranted.

The 2 are related when you choose to use the terminology you used. So, just to be clear, which do you think are the greater threat? Some nut jobs in the US or the Taliban in the ME?

I wish I had a magic wand and could make everyone happy, but I don't, so for now I have to prioritize... do you think these nuts are worse than those in the ME?

Well, it depends on the context. When it comes to violating human rights? Yeah, the Taliban are WAY worse. But I think the fanatics quoted in the OP are potentially just as bad, they just don't have the opportunity to get away with the same acts.

When it comes to violating MY rights, I think the Christian extremists are more of a threat than the Taliban. The Taliban might bomb me and kill me, but the chances of that happening are astronomically low. The fringe-dwelling rightwing Christan fanatics in YWN666's OP are far more likely to infringe upon my rights as a US citizen who dissents with the majority and doesn't believe in God. They already supported legislation that keeps my uncle from legally marrying his life partner, and they've been together for 11 years now. They threaten to take away my girlfriend's, and my female friends' right to choose. They support legislation that prohibited my family from allowing my grandmother to die as she would've chosen to. And that's just the present.

I am descended from a group of people called Waldencians. They are a Protestant sect that was persecuted by Catholics for centuries until many finally immmigrated to the US in the late 19th Century. Then they were descriminated against by the Southern Baptists in North Carolina, where they had migrated to and suffered in the land of the free at the hands of other Protestants.

I grew up in southwest Idaho, a Mormon dominated area. I was descriminated against, taunted, misunderstood because of my inability to believe in God. In fact, during my junior year of high school I was dating a beautiful girl who was Mormon (I've dated three Mormons and been with more). When her parents found out that I wasn't Mormon, they moved her to her grandparents' house over three hours away. There was no warning. One morning before first period we kissed goodbye. I didn't see her again the rest of the day. I tried calling her when I got worried. I didn't hear from her for 4 days! Broke my little heart when I found out what happened. It broke hers too. We really liked eachother.

Anyway, the point being is that Christianity has had a great deal of influence on my life and most of it was negative. My current girlfriend's parents are Christians, they don't care if you're gay, or living in sin, or whatever. They're Unitarians. I like them. They voted for Obama cause they were afraid that Palin would try to institute laws that violated freedom of religion.

I don't hate all Christians, just the ones who threaten my peaceful, free, unmaterialistic life and the rights of my family and friends.

Well, it depends on the context. When it comes to violating human rights? Yeah, the Taliban are WAY worse. But I think the fanatics quoted in the OP are potentially just as bad, they just don't have the opportunity to get away with the same acts.

When it comes to violating MY rights, I think the Christian extremists are more of a threat than the Taliban. The Taliban might bomb me and kill me, but the chances of that happening are astronomically low. The fringe-dwelling rightwing Christan fanatics in YWN666's OP are far more likely to infringe upon my rights as a US citizen who dissents with the majority and doesn't believe in God. They already supported legislation that keeps my uncle from legally marrying his life partner, and they've been together for 11 years now. They threaten to take away my girlfriend's, and my female friends' right to choose. They support legislation that prohibited my family from allowing my grandmother to die as she would've chosen to. And that's just the present.

I am descended from a group of people called Waldencians. They are a Protestant sect that was persecuted by Catholics for centuries until many finally immmigrated to the US in the late 19th Century. Then they were descriminated against by the Southern Baptists in North Carolina, where they had migrated to and suffered in the land of the free at the hands of other Protestants.

I grew up in southwest Idaho, a Mormon dominated area. I was descriminated against, taunted, misunderstood because of my inability to believe in God. In fact, during my junior year of high school I was dating a beautiful girl who was Mormon (I've dated three Mormons and been with more). When her parents found out that I wasn't Mormon, they moved her to her grandparents' house over three hours away. There was no warning. One morning before first period we kissed goodbye. I didn't see her again the rest of the day. I tried calling her when I got worried. I didn't hear from her for 4 days! Broke my little heart when I found out what happened. It broke hers too. We really liked eachother.

Anyway, the point being is that Christianity has had a great deal of influence on my life and most of it was negative. My current girlfriend's parents are Christians, they don't care if you're gay, or living in sin, or whatever. They're Unitarians. I like them. They voted for Obama cause they were afraid that Palin would try to institute laws that violated freedom of religion.

I don't hate all Christians, just the ones who threaten my peaceful, free, unmaterialistic life and the rights of my family and friends.

Are you saying you don't care if nutjobs in the ME saw peoples heads off as long as your rights at home are preserved, or did I read that wrong?

You're making unwarranted assumptions Colorado. I go to a Baptist church and I call myself a Christian, but I don't think these nuts represent me. I'm just confused as to the outrage placed on people that aren't decapitating people when there are more pressing problems abroad.

Worse ... not yet, but that's the point. They are dangerous so long as they continue to have followers in our country, being dangerous does not mean being the worst. The reasoning for them being the most dangerous is they are in our midst, so that is an accurate label.

However, should they be oppressed like they want to oppress others ... no. Should all who follow or claim the same beliefs be blamed for their ignorance ... no. But they should be exposed for being ignorant for one reason only, so others will know that they are there and should they try to do something that is truly horrible (like form another KKK group) then we can step in and say "no, not in our country".

These quotes are hilarious! I love the quotes from Fred Phelps (Westboro Baptist Church):

"If you got to castrate your miserable self with a piece of rusty barb wire, do it."

"Hear the word of the LORD, America, fag-enablers are worse than the fags themselves, and will be punished in the everlasting lake of fire!"

"You telling these miserable, Hell-bound, bath house-wallowing, anal-copulating fags that God loves them!? You have bats in the belfry!"

"American Veterans are to blame for the fag takeover of this nation. They have the power in their political lobby to influence the zeitgeist, get the fags out of the military, and back in the closet where they belong!"

"Not only is homosexuality a sin, but anyone who supports fags is just as guilty as they are. You are both worthy of death."

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Forum List

Back