Quotes by industry heads from 1909-1911

Truthmatters

Diamond Member
May 10, 2007
http://www.citizen.org/documents/Triangle-Fire-Anniversary-20110323.pdf

Real Estate Industry
 During one executive session, he [Robert Dowling, NYC real estate man, and voice of business on the FIC] referred to statistics on the number of people killed in factory fires. Notwithstanding the catastrophe at the Triangle, he ventured, “It is an infinitesimal proportion of the population.”
FIC Final Report; Von Drehle, p. 215-216.
 “Many owners will be so financially embarrassed by the great expenditure made necessary thereby that great numbers of buildings would be forced into foreclosure or otherwise sacrificed.”
The Realty League inveighs against the FIC fire regulations. “Realty Men Protest. Albany Measures for Fire Prevention Regarded as Oppressive”. NYT, March 19, 1913.
 In response to the changes to the fire code, a spokesman for the Associated Industries of New York insisted that the Wagner-Smith acts would mean “the wiping out of industry in this state.”
FIC Third Report, Vol 1, p. 62; Martin, p. 108
 “To my mind this is all wrong….The experience of the past proves conclusively that the best government is the least possible government, that the unfettered initiative of the individual is the force that makes a country great and that this initiative should never be bound…”
Laurence M. D. McGuire president of the Real Estate Board of NYC. He replaced Dowling on the FIC in July of 1914. FIC Fourth Report, 1915, Vol. 1, p 76-83.
 “The owners of real property are becoming terrified by the number of laws which have been enacted affecting real property in New York City…in each succeeding year there is a law passed…This compels the owner to expend…large sums of money, which…are absolutely needless and useless.”
Op-ed by George W. Olvany, special counsel to the Real Estate Board: “The Fire Hazard in Big Buildings,” NYT. May 3, 1914.

Last edited:
  • Banned
These evil hearted men were all more concerned about an extra buck intstead of the people they caused to be burned alive.

None of their dire predictions about effects to the industry came true.

They sound just like our right today and are just as wrong.

• Banned
Yeap they wont touch this one for good reason.

It is the exact same lines your leaders use on you today to get you to vote agaisnt what is good for the American people.

• Banned
The dates are right in th quotes and I am allowed to title my own threads.

The whole point here is the right wing leaders STILL use the same crap lines to claim economic disastor if they are forced to protect their own workers from the owners greed

The dates are right in th quotes and I am allowed to title my own threads.

The whole point here is the right wing leaders STILL use the same crap lines to claim economic disastor if they are forced to protect their own workers from the owners greed

That may be the 'point' to you, to the rest of us... not so much... our point is that nobody gives a fuck about what some dead dude said. Grow up and stop fucking whining. It's really, really, really fucking boring.

Note taken:

Dont use history to show how failed the rights ideas are.

So I guess no history, no science, no human concern and no facts are just how the right thinkers roll?

So history is worthless to you?

No, sweetie.... your pointless drivel is worthless... and probably not just to me.

Why do you do this?
At times you seem willing to discuss things like an adult with a brain and then you do this silly crap when you have no intelligent answer to the facts given you.

These are the people who supported your point of view back in the days before we had decent laws protecting workers.

Workers died for these mens views and pocketbooks.

Children burned to death and you find it boring?

Go start your own thread.

This thread is about how the right wing has been using the same damned idiot arguement to get you to vote in their interests over the very lives of Americans

“The owners of real property are becoming terrified by the number of laws which have been enacted affecting real property in New York City…in each succeeding year there is a law passed…This compels the owner to expend…large sums of money, which…are absolutely needless and useless.”

After little girls burned to death in a fire trap this was how the right responded to new fire laws.

go start your own thread.

This thread is about how the right wing has been using the same damned idiot arguement to get you to vote in their interests over the very lives of americans

stop throwing baseless charges at conservatives and clean up your own god damned party asshat!​

TMN doesn't realize that she is quoting things from a century ago.

What a nattering nabob of nonsense.

“The owners of real property are becoming terrified by the number of laws which have been enacted affecting real property in New York City…in each succeeding year there is a law passed…This compels the owner to expend…large sums of money, which…are absolutely needless and useless.”

After little girls burned to death in a fire trap this was how the right responded to new fire laws.

If we on the right began typing all the idiotic stupid things you on the left supported, there wouldnt be enough bandwidth here to hold it all

Hey stupid... look at the date that those things were said.
:cuckoo:

Yes I did you dishonest con.

It is stated in my posts.

Why do you always resort to lying?

Forum List

Back