Aquarian

Oct 16, 2003
I've been trying to think of a way to express this idea, today I stumbled on this quote:

I made it a rule to forbear all direct contradictions to the sentiments of others, and all positive assertion of my own. I even forbade myself the use of every word or expression in the language that imported a fixed opinion, such as "certainly", "undoubtedly", etc. I adopted instead of them "I conceive", "I apprehend", or "I imagine" a thing to be so or so; or "so it appears to me at present". When another asserted something that I thought an error, I denied myself the pleasure of contradicting him abruptly, and of showing him immediately some absurdity in his proposition. In answering I began by observing that in certain cases or circumstances his opinion would be right, but in the present case there appeared or semed to me some difference, etc. I soon found the advantage of this change in my manner; the conversations I engaged in went on more pleasantly. The modest way in which I proposed my opinions procured them a readier reception and less contradiction. I had less mortification when I was found to be in the wrong, and I more easily prevailed with others to give up their mistakes and join with me when I happened to be in the right. -- Autobiography of Benjamin Franklin

I don't always meet the standard of course :) Opinions on the quote?

Benjamin Franklin was certainly a very interesting person. Some of his thoughts and opinions are very logical and it's amazing how intelligenct they are.

I don't think I could do this at all times however. Sometimes, people just get the better of us and we get emotional about issues. It's a good ideal to which to aspire.

to aspire for that, yes. but how? there are some..folks that have soo much hatred for others it pushes me past a point that I full well know I shouldnt cross but plunge in head first anyway because I feel so strongly against what the other person is stated. Im I wrong to do this??? maybe, maybe not. " A War of words, fought with words, is better then a war of men, fought with generals." jon forward 1/30/04

Forum List

Back