Quote of the Day...

_dmp_

Oct 16, 2003
“Pacifism can be practical when those it seeks to impress prefer peace to war. But evil men who yearn for blood are satisfied with nothing less. They see reluctance to fight as cowardice. Gandhi's nonviolence worked against the British. It would not have worked against Hitler.” Marvin Olasky

I agree.

Would Ghandi have been successful, though, if the catholic church were to promote it?

They DID bring Hitler to power.

Originally posted by NewGuy
I agree.

Would Ghandi have been successful, though, if the catholic church were to promote it?

They DID bring Hitler to power.

:rolleyes:

:-/

:rolleyes:

Originally posted by Isaac Brock
Great quote! I've never thought of pacifism in that context before.

Yes. It seems all liberals try to make peace with those who desire their unconditional death. You can go tell the others what you've learned!

It could be reworded to state: "Pacifism can be pratical when the party in charge is fundamentally good."

As it stated Ghandi's policy worked because the English are in most respects good people. King's policies brought about Civil Rights, because most American's are good people.

Terrorists, dictators, and relgious and secular fanatics, tend to be evil.

Therefore pacifism does not sway them. It encourages them.

Originally posted by Zhukov
It could be reworded to state: "Pacifism can be pratical when the party in charge is fundamentally good."

As it stated Ghandi's policy worked because the English are in most respects good people. King's policies brought about Civil Rights, because most American's are good people.

Terrorists, dictators, and relgious and secular fanatics, tend to be evil.

Therefore pacifism does not sway them. It encourages them.

Interesting.
Cool quote,dmp, and informative comment, Zhukov.
However, I imagine if King or Ghandi were alive today they would still be defendng Pacifism, hard to imagine how though in light of the situation in the Middle East.

I don't imagine a Camel Boycott would have worked in Iraq or Afghanistan :D
We all know what happened to protestors there.

Originally posted by nycflasher
Interesting.
Cool quote,dmp, and informative comment, Zhukov.
However, I imagine if King or Ghandi were alive today they would still be defendng Pacifism, hard to imagine how though in light of the situation in the Middle East..

I'd bet they'd be smart enough to realize what works, and when...

Originally posted by dmp
I'd bet they'd be smart enough to realize what works, and when...

The king perhaps would agree with you, but I doubt Ghandi would. Though I suppose it's all speculation anyways!

Forum List

Back