Quite simply the dumbest thing I have ever read

Quantum Windbag

Gold Member
May 9, 2010
Until I read this column I thought the stupidest people on the internet where the posters like rdean. It turns out I woe him an apology.

President Obama is assembling his new national security team, with Senator John Kerry possibly heading for the Pentagon and U.N. Ambassador Susan Rice the perceived front-runner to become secretary of state. Kerry is an excellent choice for defense. I don’t know Rice at all, so I have no opinion on her fitness for the job, but I think the contrived flap over her Libya comments certainly shouldn’t disqualify her. That said, my own nominee for secretary of state would be the current education secretary, Arne Duncan.

Wait, it gets better.

A big part of the job is negotiating. Well, anyone who has negotiated with the Chicago Teachers Union, as Duncan did when he was superintendent of the Chicago Public Schools before going to Washington, would find negotiating with the Russians and Chinese a day at the beach.

What about negotiating with terrorists?

In other words, education is now the key to sustainable power. To have a secretary of state who is one of the world’s leading authorities on education, well, everyone would want to talk to him. For instance, it would be very helpful to have a secretary of state who can start a negotiating session with Hamas leaders (if we ever talk with them) by asking: “Do you know how far behind your kids are?”

Yep, that will work. Ask people that strap bombs to kids if they are worried about their kids not knowing the Earth is round.

At the same time, as our foreign budget shrinks, more and more of it will have to be converted from traditional grants to “Races to the Top,” which Duncan’s Education Department pioneered in U.S. school reform. We will have to tell needy countries that whoever comes up with the best ideas for educating their young women and girls or incentivizing start-ups or strengthening their rule of law will get our scarce foreign aid dollars. That race is the future of foreign aid.

International competitions for taxpayer money, gotta love progressives.

https://www.nytimes.com/2012/11/28/opinion/friedman-my-secretary-of-state.html?_r=0

We already understood that the ODS had long ago destroyed the morality centers and reasoning ability of much of the right. This thread just confirms it.

They were able to keep it hidden for a while, but the election and the resulting sore-loserism has brought it all back out into the open. They're totally off in lalaland, they don't understand why everyone is laughing at them, and that makes it even funnier.

We already understood that the ODS had long ago destroyed the morality centers and reasoning ability of much of the right. This thread just confirms it.

They were able to keep it hidden for a while, but the election and the resulting sore-loserism has brought it all back out into the open. They're totally off in lalaland, they don't understand why everyone is laughing at them, and that makes it even funnier.

The thread is not about Obama.

OK, fine. I'll stipulate Arne is a world-class negotiator. So now let's talk about the graduation rates of Chicago public high schools when he was in charge. I'm sure they must have been sterling considering the boss was such a great negotiator and all.

Forum List

Back