Quit Smoking

jimnyc

Aug 28, 2003
New York
I'm starting day 3 of my smoke free life! I've been staying home a lot because I'm afraid if I go out I may kill someone. Even with the patch I am one easily irritated bastard right now!

Believe it or not, I already feel better (outside of the sweats, delusions & sleeplessness). I can already take deeper breaths and I'm actually able to work out now. That's what I've been doing in replacement of smoking. Bike ride and Bowflex in the morning and Bowflex again in the evening. I need to quit smoking and lose about 10lbs (all alcohol stored in my belly!).

:gives:

someone please kill me!

well congrats! hope you stick with it. i just dont have the will power to quit. im way to high strung to be quiting. id have to chain myself inside my house...lol

jimnyc said:
I'm starting day 3 of my smoke free life! I've been staying home a lot because I'm afraid if I go out I may kill someone. Even with the patch I am one easily irritated bastard right now!

Believe it or not, I already feel better (outside of the sweats, delusions & sleeplessness). I can already take deeper breaths and I'm actually able to work out now. That's what I've been doing in replacement of smoking. Bike ride and Bowflex in the morning and Bowflex again in the evening. I need to quit smoking and lose about 10lbs (all alcohol stored in my belly!).

someone please kill me!

Yeah, this is tough. People can follow my struggle to quit in the Health Forum.

Keep it up, it is both easier and tougher than you think, depending on your state of irritation.

jimnyc said:
That's what I've been doing in replacement of smoking. Bike ride and Bowflex in the morning and Bowflex again in the evening. I need to quit smoking and lose about 10lbs (all alcohol stored in my belly!).

Good luck! Take it easy with the Bowflex, you can't work the same muscles repeatedly during the day without risking injury. At least work different muscle groups.

Congrats! Stick with it.

My dad told me the story of the day he quit. He went to the doctor and the doctor said..(why am I picturing monkey's jumping on a bed?)....anyway..the doctor said if he wanted to live an additional 10 years, he should quit smoking...right then.

He threw his cigarettes away in the doctor's office and hasn't smoked since.

He has incredible will power though - Masters in Electrical Engineering and Math, worked for NASA, etc....very intelligent.

I asked him how he did it. He replied, "I told myself to stop smoking, so I did."

If it was only that easy for everybody else.

Keep with it!

jimnyc said:

someone please kill me!
That patch itches like a mo fo huh?
It will be three weeks without a cig on Sunday for me.
Oh, did I forget to tell you guys I quit smoking?

JOKER96BRAVO said:
That patch itches like a mo fo huh?
It will be three weeks without a cig on Sunday for me.
Oh, did I forget to tell you guys I quit smoking?

Good for you too!

i dont know if i could do it cold turkey. ive been stepping down. i started on marlboro red back in the day, then went to lights, then lights 100, now im at ultra lights. soon enough im going to ultra lights 100. then after that is quiting.
well at least its a plan anyway

Johnney said:
i dont know if i could do it cold turkey. ive been stepping down. i started on marlboro red back in the day, then went to lights, then lights 100, now im at ultra lights. soon enough im going to ultra lights 100. then after that is quiting.
well at least its a plan anyway
I wouldn't go to 100s....
I would buy an unpleasant generic brand like GPC or Doral.

JOKER96BRAVO said:
I wouldn't go to 100s....
I would buy an unpleasant generic brand like GPC or Doral.

or smoke a russian square.... eww, those things make you dizzy and sick...

good luck jimmy i wish you the bet with this.. it is not easy by any means and i hope you make it...

The best thing that helped me cut back was to put a picture of my daughter
on my smokes. She's the reason I wanted to quit anyway.

The patch really does work though. First I cut down my intake by half to get used to
the anxiety. Then I jumped right into step 2 which is the 14mg patches with
gum. When I got the urge, chew gum about 5 minutes and leave it in my lip
for no longer than 10 minutes total. Did that for a week, then moved to
step three which is the 7mg patches with gum. Did that for week.
Now I'm on just the gum and Sunday will be 3 weeks.

jimnyc said:

Believe it or not, I already feel better (outside of the sweats, delusions & sleeplessness). I can already take deeper breaths and I'm actually able to work out now. That's what I've been doing in replacement of smoking. Bike ride and Bowflex in the morning and Bowflex again in the evening. ...
No Bowflex after 6pm. I'll bet ya sleep better.

NATO AIR said:
or smoke a russian square.... eww, those things make you dizzy and sick...

good luck jimmy i wish you the bet with this.. it is not easy by any means and i hope you make it...

You also have to keep straightening them, they often have stems from the Tobacco plant in them. Russian brands are really the sux!

Abbey Normal said:
Jim, almost a week now- how is it going?

I'm afraid miserably. I was 100% smoke free for about 48 hours. There was no way I was wearing the patch to bed, I learned my lesson with that a few years back. I'll save my dreams and hallucinations for better drugs!

Because of that, as I placed the patch on early in the morning I would grab a quick smoke as I was dying for one after no nicotine overnight. Also, I would take it off about 1 1/2 hours before bedtime and have a quickie before hitting the bed.

Stress got the best of me and I removed that patch the day before yesterday as if it was a leech attacking me! I swear it was sucking the life out of me.

Now I have no job AND no will power. No money. No wife. No self esteem & no life. In short, I'm a loser. Just call me George Costanza. "I'm unemployed and I live with my parents!"

But I still have all my wonderful friends at the USMB. :laugh:

I'll pass around the collection plate!

Forum List

Back