Quit Christian prayer rally, religious leaders urge Texas governor

Political Junky

Gold Member
May 27, 2009
Quit Christian prayer rally, religious leaders urge Texas governor | JTA - Jewish & Israel News

August 4, 2011
NEW YORK (JTA) -- Sixteen rabbis are among the more than 50 Houston religious leaders who signed a letter asking Texas Gov. Rick Perry to reconsider participating in a Christian prayer rally.

Rick Perry, a potential Republican presidential candidate, plans to host "The Response" on Aug. 6 at Houston's Reliant Stadium. In a commercial featured on the rally's website, Perry "calls on Americans to pray and fast like Jesus did, and the Israelites did in the book of Job," as a solution to the "economy in trouble, communities in crisis, and people adrift in a sea of moral relativism."
<more>
The Response is sponsored by the American Family Association, a Conservative Christian advocacy nonprofit founded in 1977 as the National Federation for Decency. The rally follows the association's statement of faith, which includes that the Christian Bible is "the inspired, the only infallible, authorative Word of God."

I am always shocked when religious leaders are encouraging people not to pray. I don't think God is one who is going to encourage people not to pray. Nor do I think that the Spirit of the Lord would prevent someone who wants to pray whether they are in a large inclusive group or a small exclusive group.

Of course, I have that view because of my scriptures which state that the Spirit encourages a man to pray.

8 And now, my beloved brethren, I perceive that ye ponder still in your hearts; and it grieveth me that I must speak concerning this thing. For if ye would hearken unto the Spirit which teacheth a man to pray, ye would know that ye must pray; for the evil spirit teacheth not a man to pray, but teacheth him that he must not pray.

9 But behold, I say unto you that ye must pray always, and not faint; that ye must not perform any thing unto the Lord save in the first place ye shall pray unto the Father in the name of Christ, that he will consecrate thy performance unto thee, that thy performance may be for the welfare of thy soul.(2 Nephi 32:8-9)

However, if they are really upset about it, perhaps they should have their own prayer rally and invite the Governor to their rally as well.

What is annoying about this is the governor is using state funds for an event which supports religious discrimination.
Houston Clergy Council
From the Houston Clergy Council
"We also express concern that the day of prayer and fasting at Reliant Stadium is not an inclusive event. As clergy leaders in the nation&#8217;s fourth largest city, we take pride in Houston&#8217;s vibrant and diverse religious landscape. Our religious communities include Bahais, Buddhists, Christians, Hindus, Jews, Muslims, Sikhs, Unitarian Universalists, and many other faith traditions. Our city is also home to committed agnostics and atheists, with whom we share common cause as fellow Houstonians. Houston has long been known as a &#8220;live and let live&#8221; city, where all are respected and welcomed. It troubles us that the governor&#8217;s prayer event is not open to everyone. In the publicized materials, the governor has made it clear that only Christians of a particular kind are welcome to pray in a certain way. We feel that such an exclusive event does not reflect the rich tapestry of our city. "

there are always some who will find fault with anything but to fault prayer is stupid in the extreme. If you don't want to pray or just don't believe don't come. No on is going to ask for Church ID at this event. This country could use a little prayer right now. My opinion of course and I don't have a link for you link people.

What is annoying about this is the governor is using state funds for an event which supports religious discrimination.
Houston Clergy Council
From the Houston Clergy Council
"We also express concern that the day of prayer and fasting at Reliant Stadium is not an inclusive event. As clergy leaders in the nation’s fourth largest city, we take pride in Houston’s vibrant and diverse religious landscape. Our religious communities include Bahais, Buddhists, Christians, Hindus, Jews, Muslims, Sikhs, Unitarian Universalists, and many other faith traditions. Our city is also home to committed agnostics and atheists, with whom we share common cause as fellow Houstonians. Houston has long been known as a “live and let live” city, where all are respected and welcomed. It troubles us that the governor’s prayer event is not open to everyone. In the publicized materials, the governor has made it clear that only Christians of a particular kind are welcome to pray in a certain way. We feel that such an exclusive event does not reflect the rich tapestry of our city. "

It is also pretty annoying for Obama to take a bus trip to promote jobs. It is a campaign trip. He doesn't know a thing about creating jobs because he has never had one.

Obama isn't violating sections of the Constitution to do it. Perry is.

Its entanglement with sectarian interests which violates the Establishment Clause and promotion of religious persecution.

It's Texas...what did you expect?

Texas ought to be it's own country. May it secede from the union. The governor is free to believe what ever he chooses, my question is, does he have the right to promote religion in his official capacity?

Last edited:

Texas ought to be it's own country. May it secede from the union. The governor is free to believe what ever he chooses, my question is, does he have the right to promote religion in his official capacity?

You don't get to decide who is and is not an American.

If this is the tolerant left, you can shove it where the sun don't shine. Pity that people who claim a faith don't tolerate other faiths.

If this is the tolerant left, you can shove it where the sun don't shine. Pity that people who claim a faith don't tolerate other faiths.

Oh for petes sakes. I was being a wise ass. It's a joke. I also think California should secede. Seriously, both states are huge and have complex economies.

Meh,...he is free to do what he wants. Myself, I am not a religious person, but if you choose to be religious, that is fine with me.

Just don't come knocking on my door trying to "save" me or you'll be saving yourself......from a hose down! :lol:

Oh for petes sakes. I was being a wise ass. It's a joke. I also think California should secede. Seriously, both states are huge and have complex economies.

Again, it's not your decision what states form the union. Like it or not, they are as American as anyone else.

Let's see some real, honest tolerance from the so called 'tolerant' left. Because, apart from a very few, the left on this board are the most intolerant bunch of fucking bigots here.

Meh,...he is free to do what he wants. Myself, I am not a religious person, but if you choose to be religious, that is fine with me.

Just don't come knocking on my door trying to "save" me or you'll be saving yourself......from a hose down! :lol:

A simple 'no thanks' usually works perfectly well. :eusa_angel:

Having someone knock on your door is that big a deal? Seriously, we need to be a lot less whiny assed as a nation.

Again, it's not your decision what states form the union. Like it or not, they are as American as anyone else.

Let's see some real, honest tolerance from the so called 'tolerant' left. Because, apart from a very few, the left on this board are the most intolerant bunch of fucking bigots here.
You're in a real grouchy mood. I meant no harm. You've taken my post FAR more seriously than I ever intended it.

I'm NOT your enemy. I'm a fellow citizen.

Having someone knock on your door is that big a deal? Seriously, we need to be a lot less whiny assed as a nation.
Naw, a soak down with a wet hose lasts a lot longer. :lol:

The JW's are the worst! If I find another copy of "the watchtower" on my porch ...:evil:

Naw, a soak down with a wet hose lasts a lot longer. :lol:

The JW's are the worst! If I find another copy of "the watchtower" on my porch ...:evil:

On a hot day, that would be a true kindness.

Forum List

Back