Quinnipiac Poll May 1st, 2007

maineman

VIP Member
Dec 29, 2006
guess
"If you had to choose, which would you favor: the U.S. setting a timetable for removing its troops from Iraq and sticking to that timetable regardless of what is happening in Iraq, or the U.S. keeping troops in Iraq as long as necessary to secure the country, even if that takes many more years?"

Setting a Timetable for Removing Troops 57%
Keeping Troops as Long as Necessary 39%
Unsure 3%

I think that the longer this debacle in Iraq goes on and the longer the right continues to try and overplay the fear card and lump all those Iraqis fighting us and one another into some "one-size-fits-all--all-ragheads-are-our-enemy" "terrorist" category and ignore the fact that most of the folks killing US and killing Iraqis in Iraq are just sunni and shiite Iraqi citizens and NOT members of Al Qaeda or other groups bent on our destruction... the more the tide will continue to shift as Americans realize the repetitive idiocy of the administration's position. I think it is time to let the Iraqis stand on their own. Our own Vice President has stated that the Al Qaeda fighters in Iraq are nothing but a handful of deadenders in their final throes. How in the world can an army of 150 thousand Iraqi soldiers who have been trained for three years by the United States not be able to handle a handful of deadenders in their final throes? We have a war to fight against Islamic extremists. We can't afford to waste any more men money or time in Iraq. American people want us out...a majority of Iraqis believe that things will be better if we leave.... a majority of Iraqis support acts of violence against us! We toppled their dictator. We provided them with security while they wrote a constitution and held three free elections. We trained their military. They now want us out. They approve of attacks against us... I believe it is time to go. .

"If you had to choose, which would you favor: the U.S. setting a timetable for removing its troops from Iraq and sticking to that timetable regardless of what is happening in Iraq, or the U.S. keeping troops in Iraq as long as necessary to secure the country, even if that takes many more years?"

Unsure 3%

I think that the longer this debacle in Iraq goes on and the longer the right continues to try and overplay the fear card and lump all those Iraqis fighting us and one another into some "one-size-fits-all--all-ragheads-are-our-enemy" "terrorist" category and ignore the fact that most of the folks killing US and killing Iraqis in Iraq are just sunni and shiite Iraqi citizens and NOT members of Al Qaeda or other groups bent on our destruction... the more the tide will continue to shift as Americans realize the repetitive idiocy of the administration's position. I think it is time to let the Iraqis stand on their own. Our own Vice President has stated that the Al Qaeda fighters in Iraq are nothing but a handful of deadenders in their final throes. How in the world can an army of 150 thousand Iraqi soldiers who have been trained for three years by the United States not be able to handle a handful of deadenders in their final throes? We have a war to fight against Islamic extremists. We can't afford to waste any more men money or time in Iraq. American people want us out...a majority of Iraqis believe that things will be better if we leave.... a majority of Iraqis support acts of violence against us! We toppled their dictator. We provided them with security while they wrote a constitution and held three free elections. We trained their military. They now want us out. They approve of attacks against us... I believe it is time to go. .

SURE!

All based on a poll taken at a bastion of liberalism in backwoods Maine. Makes about as much sense as taking a poll of soldiers and asking them what we should or should not do...as I recall that was something you were dead set against.

I dont get it, conservatives basically ignore polls, and liberals are too obsessed with them? Well dont you think, that at least a tiny bit of this country should have some influence from its people? As in, look at the polls!!!

We dont have to create our foreign policy based on polls, but the least this administration could do, is LISTEN to its people once in a while. And its people dont want to be in IRAQ for another 12 years like viet-nam.

Im not as far left as the bush bashers, but I would like for some people on the right to LISTEN to the people, rather than TELLING them what to believe and when to be scared.

• Banned
SURE!

All based on a poll taken at a bastion of liberalism in backwoods Maine. Makes about as much sense as taking a poll of soldiers and asking them what we should or should not do...as I recall that was something you were dead set against.

well... a few quick points about the Quinnipiac poll.

1. It is a nationally recognized poll. Here is a link about it:

http://www.quinnipiac.edu/x271.xml

from that link:

Frequently cited by journalists, public officials and researchers, the independent Quinnipiac University Poll regularly surveys residents in Connecticut, Florida, New York, New Jersey, Ohio, Pennsylvania and nationwide about political races, state and national elections, and issues of public concern, such as schools, taxes, transportation, municipal services and the environment.

Known for its exactness and thoroughness, the Quinnipiac poll was selected a "winner" by the New York Post for the most accurate prediction on the Schumer-D'Amato Senate race in 1998, and results are featured regularly in The New York Times, The Washington Post, USA Today, The Wall Street Journal and on national network news broadcasts.

2. Quinnipiac University is in Hamden, Connecticut, far from the backwoods of Maine.

3. Taking a poll of what AMERICAN citizens want to do with their military is completely sensible and totally different that asking member of the military what America ought to do with the military.

I hoped that cleared that up for you.

Polls can and are "fixed". Even nationally recognized ones. There are a lot of ways to arrange to get the 'answer" you want. One way of course is to ask the questions in the right area, or by using the right system ( say a phone poll) in the area.

Another way is to word the questions to get the expected response. Polls are not worth the paper they are printed on. They don't "represent" what the people want.

Polls can and are "fixed". Even nationally recognized ones. There are a lot of ways to arrange to get the 'answer" you want. One way of course is to ask the questions in the right area, or by using the right system ( say a phone poll) in the area.

Another way is to word the questions to get the expected response. Polls are not worth the paper they are printed on. They don't "represent" what the people want.

Most polls do not report how a majoirty of the voters do not want to surrender in Iraq, and how if the veto cannot be defeated - they want the troops to get the funds they need

MM - where is the link to the poll itself so we can read ALL the questions?

from that link:

Frequently cited by journalists, public officials and researchers, the independent Quinnipiac University Poll regularly surveys residents in Connecticut, Florida, New York, New Jersey, Ohio, Pennsylvania and nationwide about political races, state and national elections, and issues of public concern, such as schools, taxes, transportation, municipal services and the environment.

Known for its exactness and thoroughness, the Quinnipiac poll was selected a "winner" by the New York Post for the most accurate prediction on the Schumer-D'Amato Senate race in 1998, and results are featured regularly in The New York Times, The Washington Post, USA Today, The Wall Street Journal and on national network news broadcasts.

2. Quinnipiac University is in Hamden, Connecticut, far from the backwoods of Maine.

3. Taking a poll of what AMERICAN citizens want to do with their military is completely sensible and totally different that asking member of the military what America ought to do with the military.

Libs do not care what the troops have to say in this instance. Most want to stay and finish the job

Unsure 3%

I think as long as the MSM and the left continue to bombard the people of this nation with their sense of hopelessness and failure, it's going to tend to cause people to make uneducated choices.

There IS a way to secure Iraq via military force and run these insurgents, on whatever side they choose, into the hills. It worked just fine in Afghanistan where we were less concerned with politics and more concerned with accomplishing the mission.

I don't understand why a US failure would be considered a victory by ANY American, unless they put their partisan politics ahead of the Nation; which, I consider to be bullshit of the highest order.

I think as long as the MSM and the left continue to bombard the people of this nation with their sense of hopelessness and failure, it's going to tend to cause people to make uneducated choices.

There IS a way to secure Iraq via military force and run these insurgents, on whatever side they choose, into the hills. It worked just fine in Afghanistan where we were less concerned with politics and more concerned with accomplishing the mission.

I don't understand why a US failure would be considered a victory by ANY American, unless they put their partisan politics ahead of the Nation; which, I consider to be bullshit of the highest order.

I hate to think OBL was right - Americans do not have the stomach for a fight anymore

I pray to God he is wrong.

I hate to think OBL was right - Americans do not have the stomach for a fight anymore

I pray to God he is wrong.

Wake up. We left out balls for staying the fight through to the end somewhere on the other side of Korea. Everything since has either been short and sweet, or turned into a complete political debacle.

Wake up. We left out balls for staying the fight through to the end somewhere on the other side of Korea. Everything since has either been short and sweet, or turned into a complete political debacle.

Bill Clinton planted the seed of Amercia being a "Paper Tiger" with BL

I am on your side on this one

Let the military do whatever is necessary to get the job done. They are the experts in this field - nobody else

Bill Clinton planted the seed of Amercia being a "Paper Tiger" with BL

I am on your side on this one

Let the military do whatever is necessary to get the job done. They are the experts in this field - nobody else

Bill Clinton didn't do squat. The writing was on the wall and the five paragraph order chiseled in stone on how to beat us when the extreme left publicy displayed the blueprint during Vietnam.

All anyone has to do is wait us out and the instant gratitude, victory without cost crowd will begin the wailing and gnashing of teeth and bring this nation to a political standstill.

It happened before, and it's happening again. And when the dust settles, they will again reap what they have sown and be crapped upon by society in general.

Bill Clinton didn't do squat. The writing was on the wall and the five paragraph order chiseled in stone on how to beat us when the extreme left publicy displayed the blueprint during Vietnam.

All anyone has to do is wait us out and the instant gratitude, victory without cost crowd will begin the wailing and gnashing of teeth and bring this nation to a political standstill.

It happened before, and it's happening again. And when the dust settles, they will again reap what they have sown and be crapped upon by society in general.

When Bill Clinton ran away from the fight in Somalia it started the 9-11 plan

In fact, Murtha pushed for the retreat from Somalia

I will also admit. Reagan was wrong to leave after the Marine barracks attack

When you show weakness, the terrorists will keep coming

from that link:

Self-licking ice cream cone. Did you expect them to say "We have crap for a poll but you should believe it anyway!"

I know where Quinnipiac is...just seeing if your paying attention and busting our chops at the same time.

I guess members of the military are not US citizens....most American citizens do not have a CLUE about what should be done with the military....maybe we should ask them how hospitals should perform brain surgery...it would be nearly as valid.

Self-licking ice cream cone. Did you expect them to say "We have crap for a poll but you should believe it anyway!"

I know where Quinnipiac is...just seeing if your paying attention and busting our chops at the same time.

I guess members of the military are not US citizens....most American citizens do not have a CLUE about what should be done with the military....maybe we should ask them how hospitals should perform brain surgery...it would be nearly as valid.

Some Dems have expressed their true feeling about the US military

They have called them uneducated, terrorists, cold bloodied killers, compared them to Nazis's and operators of torture chambers

The liberal media busts a gut to put memebrs of the military when they have something bad to say about the war and Pres Bush - but ignore them when they have something positive to say

Some Dems have expressed their true feeling about the US military

They have called them uneducated, terrorists, cold bloodied killers, compared them to Nazis's and operators of torture chambers

The liberal media busts a gut to put memebrs of the military when they have something bad to say about the war and Pres Bush - but ignore them when they have something positive to say

Strange you noticed that, eh!

In fairness, most of us tend to pick POVs that support our position and view with slepticism those that don't. We have had this discussion with MM before (I believe we ended up agreeing to disagree); I cannot fathom how anyone can believe that the average American citizen would have more insight into how our military should be used than the members of the military... but then it's MM...sometimes he thinks strangely...not necessarily wrong...just strange.

In fairness, most of us tend to pick POVs that support our position and view with slepticism those that don't. We have had this discussion with MM before (I believe we ended up agreeing to disagree); I cannot fathom how anyone can believe that the average American citizen would have more insight into how our military should be used than the members of the military... but then it's MM...sometimes he thinks strangely...not necessarily wrong...just strange.

My dad served in WWII and he often said 'let the miltary fight the wars - keep the politicans out of how to fight it'

I agreed with him them - I agree with him now

if you want to minimize the validity of the Quinnipiac poll, there is little I can say other than what I have already said. It is acknowledged as an independent and valid poll.

and OF COURSE you NOW know where QUinnipiac is..... [cough-bullshit-cough]

I know where the school is. My son is a journalism major there....you obviously did NOT and tried to cover your own misstatement with bullshit.

Do you HAVE any recent polling data on what the military thinks of Iraq or is all you have to offer anecdotal bullshit? The poll shows that the majority of Americans want us the fuck out of Iraq and I think I explained very succinctly why they have come to that opinion. So do you have anything of substance to add to the discussion or will your input consist of tripe like this?

and whether or not the average american citizen may or may not have more insight into how our military should be used than the members of the military is totally irelevant. Our country's military has ALWAYS been under the complete and total control of the civilians in goverment - that is why we have never had an military coups in all our years - and the civilians in goverment answer to ALL the american people, not just those in uniform. Don't LIKE living in a country like that? move to fucking Paraguay and don't let the door hit you on the ass on your way south.

if you want to minimize the validity of the Quinnipiac poll, there is little I can say other than what I have already said. It is acknowledged as an independent and valid poll.

and OF COURSE you NOW know where QUinnipiac is..... [cough-bullshit-cough]

I know where the school is. My son is a journalism major there....you obviously did NOT and tried to cover your own misstatement with bullshit.

Do you HAVE any recent polling data on what the military thinks of Iraq or is all you have to offer anecdotal bullshit? The poll shows that the majority of Americans want us the fuck out of Iraq and I think I explained very succinctly why they have come to that opinion. So do you have anything of substance to add to the discussion or will your input consist of tripe like this?

Still waiting for a link to the poll and the all the questions asked

Forum List

Back