Quick Question

Everyone is (naturally) so focused on the many intractable problems there that perhaps some positive changes are overlooked. Maybe the glass is a quarter full, but it's still possible to hold on to some optimism. Of course, over the next few years Obama will try to throw away all gains made there and forget about the place like he did with Iraq - all for any perceived political gains he thinks he can squeeze out in a press conference or two. If we elect another democrat after he's gone, we will revert to Bill Clinton- style foreign policy and in ten years the country will be (in all senses) what it was before we ever set foot there. Ten years after that...

Or, we can elect a competent, responsible, qualified leader of our own country for a change next time and hopefully lend a hand to Afghanistan continuing in a positive direction.

I hope that in 20 years we can have a very different discussion about conditions there.

Back in the 70s before the Taliban took over it was actually touted as a pretty open, beautiful place for the adventurous to visit. Now, not so much. But in a few decades I hope your optimism (and mine) is validated.

Back in the 70s before the Taliban took over it was actually touted as a pretty open, beautiful place for the adventurous to visit. Now, not so much. But in a few decades I hope your optimism (and mine) is validated.

Afghanistan was pretty nice back in the 70s, what screwed it up was the Russian invasion and the influx of Islamic Militants into the country.

Everyone is (naturally) so focused on the many intractable problems there that perhaps some positive changes are overlooked. Maybe the glass is a quarter full, but it's still possible to hold on to some optimism. Of course, over the next few years Obama will try to throw away all gains made there and forget about the place like he did with Iraq - all for any perceived political gains he thinks he can squeeze out in a press conference or two. If we elect another democrat after he's gone, we will revert to Bill Clinton- style foreign policy and in ten years the country will be (in all senses) what it was before we ever set foot there. Ten years after that...

So we stay by force? :lol: the Afghanis want us out. They want full control of their country back. Freedom or democracy at the point of a gun will quickly fade away as they revert to their tribal ways

Message: nation building fails when the nation being built is forcibly occupied...then thete was Haiti

So we stay by force?

Who said that, you idiot?

So we stay by force? :lol: the Afghanis want us out. They want full control of their country back. Freedom or democracy at the point of a gun will quickly fade away as they revert to their tribal ways

Message: nation building fails when the nation being built is forcibly occupied...then thete was Haiti

I don't think he is saying we should stay.

Afghans are grateful for all the sacrifices US servicemen/women have given for their country. They even appreciate infrastructure work done by Indians.

I personally think the U.S. armed forces should stay in Afghanistan just a tad bit longer at least till Afghan National Army is ready.

Afghans are grateful for all the sacrifices US servicemen/women have given for their country. They even appreciate infrastructure work done by Indians.

I personally think the U.S. armed forces should stay in Afghanistan just a tad bit longer at least till Afghan National Army is ready.

The Afghan National Army will never be ready...IMO.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2F80llZ5F4]The Hashish Army - Afghanistan - YouTube[/ame]

Time the US and its allies went home...and left the People of Afghanistan to it.

Or, we can elect a competent, responsible, qualified leader of our own country for a change next time and hopefully lend a hand to Afghanistan continuing in a positive direction.

You need a competent, responsible, and qualified voting public for a change before that happens.

Forum List

Back