Quick Middle East Quiz

Saigon

Gold Member
May 4, 2012
Helsinki, Finland
This might be a little easy for the experts, but for most people I think it will be fairly challenging. The questions cover the Middle East and Islamic world.

None of the questions are political - to avoid arguments!!

I'll acknowledge correct answers as they appear, and put the complete answers up when most seem to have been answered.

Most of the questions are odd pieces of trivia I have picked up over the years - but they are all my questions.

1) What and where is "Churchill's hiccup"?

2) Which of the following countries is NOT largely Shi'ite?
a) Iran b) Oman c) Azerbaijan d) Bahrain

3) Name four major forms of Islam:

4) Which of the following areas is not generally considered Islamic?
a) Montenegro b) Albania c) Dagestan d) Bangladesh

5) Where is John the Baptist's head alleged to be?

6) The Israeli town of Tzafat is located close to a mountain considered sacred to Jews - which mountain is it?

7) What is the etymology of the word 'Jordan'?

8) In what town or place did Lawrence of Arabia live in the Middle East?

9) The Istiqlal Mosque is considered by many to be the most architectually weird mosques in the world - but where is it located?

10) Name 3 of the gates leading in to the Old City of Jersualem.

11) Which of the following cities is not located in the Maghreb?
a) Oran b) Figuig c) Ourzazate d) Siwa

12) Name 6 countries which have access to the Red Sea.

And the bonus question:

13) What is new the name of the inner city of Beirut, taken from the name of the consortium which re-constructed it?

Last edited:
Saigon, I'm thinkin' (and this is just a suggestion) that instead of posting a quiz, that you take each one of those questions and make a thread about each one.

Obviously you understand a great deal about the middle east but what you posted is probably too much for the average person to digest.

How about you Post a question, then answer it in your post and invite discussion? Or conduct a poll and invite responses? example:

1) What and where is "Churchill's hiccup"?
a. A snot rag in England.
b. Huge Zig Zag in Jordans' eastern border.
c. Bushs' Fault!

Then explain the right answer in your post? Hope this helps.

Not a bad idea...I like a good quiz myself for a bit of a laugh, but not too many takers on this one.

But i'm glad someone got the hiccup question right!

Welcome To The Saigon Poseur Club! :badgrin: :clap2:

Saigon

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4Vp642ERhM&feature=related]Sound-Effects - Crowd Laughing - YouTube[/ame]

Forum List

Back