Quick and Easy License Plate Frame Restoration!

Mad Scientist

Feels Good!
Sep 15, 2008
I love my 2004 Dodge Ram 1500 Truck but I was noticing that the front license frame was a little faded. I like the "La Quinta" and "Dodge City" on it and I didn't wanna' replace it so I figgered why don't I just repaint it? Should be a quick and easy job.

Lets get started!

1A.jpg

Took the frame off and cleaned it up with some Acetone. It's just what I had within reach. You could use whatever you want; Soap and Water, Denatured Alcohol, whatever.

1B.jpg

Then I taped off the areas I didn't want painted which were everything outside the letter boxes. Sorry, didn't take a pic of that!

Then I painted the exposed portions red with some good all weather outdoor paint. I would have used Rustoleum but I didn't have it in Red.

It looks pink in the picture but it isn't. Couple of coats did the trick.

1C.jpg

Even the screws were all rusted so they got a coat of Black Satin.

1D.jpg

After that was all dry I took the frame inside and started work on the lettering. I used some Rustoleum decanted into a jar lid and a throw away brush.

1E.jpg

Two coats were enough to cover the red which was a relief, I thought it might show through. There's a few goobers here and there but that's good enough.

1G.jpg

So now for the Big Reveal!

How does it look? The Letters really "pop" now don't they! Thanks for watching and let me know what you think!

1H.jpg

Forum List

Back