Quibbling While Bleeding

Discussion in 'Politics' started by AVG-JOE, Feb 22, 2011.

1. AVG-JOE

AVG-JOE American Mutt Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,017
    $1,200,000 per soldier per year. That's what we're putting on the Chinese VISA Card "fixing" Afghanistan. 1.2 million dollars per soldier per year.

Let's consider that when the discussion turns to trimming the funds spent on Education. Education is the one thing that should NOT be on the table for cuts. Quality Education for the masses is the key to EVER balancing our common budget.

If the first rule of accounting is to stop the bleeding, why are we hovering over local scratches with well-intentioned Band Aids while the patient hemorrhages over-seas?

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  2. Madeline

Madeline BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,624
    I cannot understand why killing people is so popular among "conservatives", but educating them or giving them adequate health care is not.

3. Missourian

Missourian Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,124
    Evil does exist in the world; sometimes war is justified

I am the Commander-in-Chief of a nation in the midst of two wars. One of these wars is winding down. The other is a conflict that America did not seek, in an effort to defend ourselves and all nations from further attacks.Still, we are at war, and I am responsible for the deployment of thousands of young Americans to battle in a distant land. Some will kill. Some will be killed.

We must begin by acknowledging the hard truth that we will not eradicate violent conflict in our lifetimes. There will be times when nations--acting individually or in concert--will find the use of force not only necessary but morally justified.

I make this statement mindful of the creed and lives of Gandhi and King. But as a head of state sworn to protect and defend my nation, I cannot be guided by their examples alone. For make no mistake: evil does exist in the world. A non-violent movement could not have halted Hitler's armies. Negotiations cannot convince al Qaeda's leaders to lay down their arms.

President Barack Obama

Source: Nobel Peace Prize acceptance speech in Oslo, Norway Dec 10, 2009

Barack Obama on War & Peace

4. Missourian

Missourian Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,124
    We did the right thing in Afghanistan

I have always thought that we did the right thing in Afghanistan. My only concern with respect to Afghanistan was that we diverted our attention from Afghanistan in terms of moving into Iraq and I think we could have done a better job of stabilizing that country than we have in providing assistance to the Afghani people.

Senator Barack Obama​

Source: In His Own Words, edited by Lisa Rogak, p. 5 Mar 27, 2007

5. Missourian

Missourian Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,124
    Focus on battle in Afghanistan and root out al Qaeda

One of the things that I think is critical, as the next president, is to make absolutely certain that we not only phase out the Iraq but we also focus on the critical battle that we have in Afghanistan and root out al Qaeda. If we do not do that, then we’re going to potentially see another attack here in the US.

Senator Barack Obama​

Source: 2007 Dem. debate at Saint Anselm College Jun 3, 2007

6. Madeline

Madeline BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,624
    Are we any safer for having killed thousands of Afghanis, Missourian....or have we just radicalized that many more?

I'm not a supporter of war for it's own sake. We dun seem to have any clear objective in the ME; I can't tell what yardstick we'd use to decide if we are winning.

7. Quantum Windbag

Quantum Windbag Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,221
    Brilliant.

You pick your pet projects, yet refuse other people the right to do the same. You are part of the problem. Everything has to be on the table, and that includes defense, education, Social Security, Medicare, and every other part of the budget.

And, yes, that includes raising taxes, mostly through the elimination of credits and deductions that do not apply to everyone. No more use of the tax code to favor one business or industry over another. The deficit commission spelled it out, and we need to actually talk about their recommendations, not pick and choose before we even get serious.

By the way, the US already spends more money per student than any country except Switzerland, and get less bang for the buck that any major industrialized country in the world. Can you present a single, reasonable, reason not to cut education?

8. Quantum Windbag

Quantum Windbag Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,221
    I cannot understand why wasting money is popular on either side, yet both sides continue to support it.

9. syrenn

syrenn BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,404
    Bleeding from how many holes? If you want to live you dont stop bleeders in one spot to save your life. You stop ALL of the holes from bleeding. You may stop the carotid but femoral bled you to death.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2011
  10. BolshevikHunter

BolshevikHunter BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +273
    Exactly. ~BH