Questions.....RE: The Greenhouse Effect

Where do you want to go from here?

I am still trying to get to a place of agreement....I wan't to be sure I am not reading anything into your statements that you didn't intend to say.. Are we in agreement that the various graphics I copied from the various universities are, in fact, stripped down, bare bones, simplest possible models of the mechanism of the greenhouse effect?

If yes, then I have questions.

In fact, it was a simplified explanation of how AGW works.

Yep. So, why not go for a more accurate model?

For a stable climate, a balance is required between incoming solar radiation and the outgoing radiation emitted by the climate system. Therefore the climate system itself must radiate on average 235 Wm-2 back into space. Details of this energy balance can be seen in Figure 1.2, which shows on the left hand side what happens with the incoming solar radiation, and on the right hand side how the atmosphere emits the outgoing infrared radiation. Any physical object radiates energy of an amount and at wavelengths typical for the temperature of the object: at higher temperatures more energy is radiated at shorter wavelengths. For the Earth to radiate 235 Wm-2, it should radiate at an effective emission temperature of -19°C with typical wavelengths in the infrared part of the spectrum. This is 33°C lower than the average temperature of 14°C at the Earth's surface. To understand why this is so, one must take into account the radiative properties of the atmosphere in the infrared part of the spectrum.​

fig1-2.gif

I am still trying to get to a place of agreement....I wan't to be sure I am not reading anything into your statements that you didn't intend to say.. Are we in agreement that the various graphics I copied from the various universities are, in fact, stripped down, bare bones, simplest possible models of the mechanism of the greenhouse effect?

Yes.

Yes.

Great...
refer to the graphic below....in the simplest most unambiguous language you can muster, can you tell me what this equation says...

239.7 + 239.7 = sigmaT^4
=>T = (239.7 + 239.7) / (5.67x10^-8) = 303K

Never mind about the slight differences between the numbers on the different graphics...I assume they are saying the same thing and reaching their numbers with the same equation....I am only interested in what the equation says...and more interested in the second expression than the first.

greenhouse.jpg

For a stable climate, a balance is required between incoming solar radiation and the outgoing radiation emitted by the climate system. Therefore the climate system itself must radiate on average 235 Wm-2 back into space. Details of this energy balance can be seen in Figure 1.2, which shows on the left hand side what happens with the incoming solar radiation, and on the right hand side how the atmosphere emits the outgoing infrared radiation. Any physical object radiates energy of an amount and at wavelengths typical for the temperature of the object: at higher temperatures more energy is radiated at shorter wavelengths. For the Earth to radiate 235 Wm-2, it should radiate at an effective emission temperature of -19°C with typical wavelengths in the infrared part of the spectrum. This is 33°C lower than the average temperature of 14°C at the Earth's surface. To understand why this is so, one must take into account the radiative properties of the atmosphere in the infrared part of the spectrum.​

fig1-2.gif

Mainly because that isn't a more accurate model...there are problems with that model that even warmers cringe at...trenberths cartoon is exactly that and there is a reason that even warmers call it a cartoon.

Yes.

Great...
refer to the graphic below....in the simplest most unambiguous language you can muster, can you tell me what this equation says...

239.7 + 239.7 = sigmaT^4

Never mind about the slight differences between the numbers on the different graphics...I assume they are saying the same thing and reaching their numbers with the same equation....I am only interested in what the equation says...and more interested in the second expression than the first.

greenhouse.jpg

They, not it, are the equations you copied from the text box in your graphic and which, as it explains, illustrate the "Energy balance at the Earth's surface".

Was that so hard?

fig1-2.gif

Here's an even prettier one, perhaps that helps:

1164px-The-NASA-Earth%27s-Energy-Budget-Poster-Radiant-Energy-System-satellite-infrared-radiation-fluxes.jpg

So I was in a conversation with one of our local crop of warmers...one who claims to grasp the science and claims to have read the literature...including the IPCC documentation...... and rather than continue to swap insults, I decided that I might try asking a couple of questions about the greenhouse effect as described by climate science.

So I grab a diagram from the University of Washington atmospheric sciences department which they say describes the mechanism of the greenhouse effect. Here it is.

greenhouse.jpg

Our local warmer immediately begins to equivocate and then asks what's my point?

Well, I thought my point was pretty clear...I wanted to establish that we were on the same page to begin with...so I go out and get a few more diagrams from the atmospheric sciences department at Penn State, and Harvard, and one from no place in particular that seems to be showing the same thing. These are they.

th
bookchap7-25.gif

ASDAGHtheory.jpg

Again, I ask if these describe the basic mechanism of the greenhouse effect as described by climate science. And what does the pathetic wretch ask me?...again...what's my point? This guy, who claims to get the science, and claims to have read the IPCC documentation can't bring himself to say whether or not the graphs above, purported by the University of Washington, Penn State, and Harvard to describe the mechanism of the greenhouse effect actually describes the mechanism of the greenhouse effect.

Who was the pathetic wretch I was talking to?....I am sure you can guess if you like...or you can go to the conversation here and see for yourself....

The fact that this warmer was scared....or unsure enough to even say whether or not the graphics above accurately show the mechanism of the greenhouse effect as described by climate science perhaps brings up a much larger point...but that's beside the point and doesn't begin to answer the questions I have about the greenhouse effect.

So are there any warmers here on the board that might be able to look at the graphics above and say whether or not they describe the basic mechanism of the greenhouse effect as described by climate science and perhaps talk a bit about that mechanism and effect? By the way...I notice some trivial differences in the above graphics that actually show the amount of radiation moving about...those differences are irrelevant to my questions...
I am not an alarmist or warmer but I am very well versed in the sciences. Those graphs do represent a very basic understanding of the Green House Effect but they do not deal with secondary routes of energy loss so they are incomplete in defining the GHE.

They know this and they are afraid if they admit that it is the basic premise they will be shown for What they are.. petulant children who don't like to be put on the spot.

but I am very well versed in the sciences.

Your claim that "covailent [sic] bonds repel photons" tends to disprove that claim.

Yes.

Great...

239.7 + 239.7 = sigmaT^4

greenhouse.jpg

They, not it, are the equations you copied from the text box in your graphic and which, as it explains, illustrate the "Energy balance at the Earth's surface".

Was that so hard?

What's the matter crick...can't even state in your own words what the equations...very basic ones I might add say?...I know what the web site says...I am asking for a straight forward description of what the equation is stating...clearly you aren't up to it...so buzz off.

And his later suggestion that magnetic fields might be responsible for the photon behavior SSDD contends.

fig1-2.gif

Here's an even prettier one, perhaps that helps:

1164px-The-NASA-Earth%27s-Energy-Budget-Poster-Radiant-Energy-System-satellite-infrared-radiation-fluxes.jpg

Not interested in pretty...or tangents...I am interested in the basic mechanism of the greenhouse effect...do you see anything in any of your graphs that address the basic mechanism? Didn't think so.

SSDD is demonstrating with his basic misunderstanding of what the notes stated, the lack of comprehension he demonstrates in all basic physics.

All I have demonstrated is an interest in what the equations are stating....clearly, you can't state in your own words what they say...so again..if you can't contribute, why are you here?

And his later suggestion that magnetic fields might be responsible for the photon behavior SSDD contends.

Not the topic here...and clearly you aren't up to discussing the actual topic...so why are you here?

The equation is stating that for a closed system in equilibrium, energy in equals energy out. How much more of a "straight forward description" do you require? And, since your efforts here are all obviously rhetorical, why don't you just cut to the chase and tell us what you believe to be wrong with those equations?

So I was in a conversation with one of our local crop of warmers...one who claims to grasp the science and claims to have read the literature...including the IPCC documentation...... and rather than continue to swap insults, I decided that I might try asking a couple of questions about the greenhouse effect as described by climate science.

So I grab a diagram from the University of Washington atmospheric sciences department which they say describes the mechanism of the greenhouse effect. Here it is.

greenhouse.jpg

Our local warmer immediately begins to equivocate and then asks what's my point?

Well, I thought my point was pretty clear...I wanted to establish that we were on the same page to begin with...so I go out and get a few more diagrams from the atmospheric sciences department at Penn State, and Harvard, and one from no place in particular that seems to be showing the same thing. These are they.

th
bookchap7-25.gif

ASDAGHtheory.jpg

Again, I ask if these describe the basic mechanism of the greenhouse effect as described by climate science. And what does the pathetic wretch ask me?...again...what's my point? This guy, who claims to get the science, and claims to have read the IPCC documentation can't bring himself to say whether or not the graphs above, purported by the University of Washington, Penn State, and Harvard to describe the mechanism of the greenhouse effect actually describes the mechanism of the greenhouse effect.

Who was the pathetic wretch I was talking to?....I am sure you can guess if you like...or you can go to the conversation here and see for yourself....

The fact that this warmer was scared....or unsure enough to even say whether or not the graphics above accurately show the mechanism of the greenhouse effect as described by climate science perhaps brings up a much larger point...but that's beside the point and doesn't begin to answer the questions I have about the greenhouse effect.

So are there any warmers here on the board that might be able to look at the graphics above and say whether or not they describe the basic mechanism of the greenhouse effect as described by climate science and perhaps talk a bit about that mechanism and effect? By the way...I notice some trivial differences in the above graphics that actually show the amount of radiation moving about...those differences are irrelevant to my questions...
I am not an alarmist or warmer but I am very well versed in the sciences. Those graphs do represent a very basic understanding of the Green House Effect but they do not deal with secondary routes of energy loss so they are incomplete in defining the GHE.

They know this and they are afraid if they admit that it is the basic premise they will be shown for What they are.. petulant children who don't like to be put on the spot.

Your claim that "covailent [sic] bonds repel photons" tends to disprove that claim.

Covailence is the magnetic bands which bond molecules together. How do you suppose that they affect photons? The solar system and the earth itself is an observable demonstration of how that works on our level to see. Its very sad that you are incapable of this.

The equation is stating that for a closed system in equilibrium, energy in equals energy out. How much more of a "straight forward description" do you require? And, since your efforts here are all obviously rhetorical, why don't you just cut to the chase and tell us what you believe to be wrong with those equations?

Sorry crick..that isn't what the equation is saying.....do you care to hazard a guess as to what the expression T = (239.7 + 239.7) / (5.67x10^-8) = 303K is stating...in plain english? Not that I expect for you to even be able to get such a simple task right..but never let it be said that I didn't give you a chance...

greenhouse.jpg

th
bookchap7-25.gif

ASDAGHtheory.jpg

Covailence is the magnetic bands which bond molecules together. How do you suppose that they affect photons? The solar system and the earth itself is an observable demonstration of how that works on our level to see.

How do you suppose that they affect photons?

Post a real source that shows they repel photons from cooler matter and we can talk.

Forum List

Back