Questions for those who don't believe in God

Status
Not open for further replies.
SpidermanTuba said:
Why do innocent people get slaughtered by evil men? Can you explain that with your God? Why do hurricanes come and make thousands of people homeless? What is the purpose of that? Your explanation is as good as mine.

Of course I can....

God gave dominion of the Earth over to man (Read the first two Chapters of Genesis) - who then handed it over to Sin...

All the bad things that happen in this world are a direct result of Man's decision to hand things over to Sin...

There's a also a scripture that reads "All things work together for good in those that love the Lord." Now, some of us say that's bullcrap because how could people dieing ever be a good thing. Well, I've seen firsthand, and recently, how a single man's death caused dozens to turn their lives around. One of my friends died, and that was one of the hardest times of my life. However, many of his friends came to realize that life was far too short for them to be living as carelessly as they did. Some of them quit drugs, smoking, or some other unhealthy habit. Some dove headfirst into their studies and jumped from 2.0 GPAs to 3.5+.

You see, God has a far better perspective on the whole thing than we do. Take this scenario, for example. A veteranarian is camping in the woods and comes across dog caught in a bear trap. The vet knows that the dog is in dire trouble. He must remove the leg from the trap, set it, splint it, administer painkillers, and get the dog into his truck and back to his clinic. However, most of the things the vet does cause the dog great pain, and the dog has no idea that the pain is causing good, so he keeps trying to bite the vet for the favor. In this scenario, we're the dog, unable to see the big picture, and God is the vet, trying to help us, despite what we think of the help.

-Cp said:
Why are we here?
No reason.

If humans are an accident that happened in the Universe then where does your sense of self-preservation come from?
It comes from the instinct bred into one as a result of the competition and rigors associated with natural selection. Species which have no instinct toward self-preservation (at least until they reproduce at which point the self-preservation instinct morphs into a offspring-protection instinct) become extinct.

Edit: It also comes, in part, from fear of death as a result of realizing one's own mortality.

Why do you care if the human race continues on after you're dead?
It stems from the aforementioned offspring-protection instinct, human empathy, and human social nature.

Edit: Also, in some respects, it is quite likely a manifestation of the human desire for immortality.

Slightly off topic, just remember that in the end, those who choose a religion are "playing the odds." If atheists are right, then it doesn't really matter what religion you choose, you're going to end up in the same place, and as long as a religion provides you with things like peace of mind, then there's really no benefit to not selecting a religion except for feeding your ego by being "right." However, if one of the religions is right, then choosing atheism is pretty much a 100% chance of a crappy afterlife, while choosing a religion, from a purely statistical standpoint, gives you a chance of eternal paradise.

Now, I don't typically look at it from this statistical standpoint, but it does make one think.

Hobbit said:
There's a also a scripture that reads "All things work together for good in those that love the Lord." Now, some of us say that's bullcrap because how could people dieing ever be a good thing. Well, I've seen firsthand, and recently, how a single man's death caused dozens to turn their lives around. One of my friends died, and that was one of the hardest times of my life. However, many of his friends came to realize that life was far too short for them to be living as carelessly as they did. Some of them quit drugs, smoking, or some other unhealthy habit. Some dove headfirst into their studies and jumped from 2.0 GPAs to 3.5+.

Are you saying that God killed your friend to show the rest of you the error of your ways? Or are you saying that if you look hard enough that something good can be found about any bad thing that happens?

Hobbit said:
You see, God has a far better perspective on the whole thing than we do. Take this scenario, for example. A veteranarian is camping in the woods and comes across dog caught in a bear trap. The vet knows that the dog is in dire trouble. He must remove the leg from the trap, set it, splint it, administer painkillers, and get the dog into his truck and back to his clinic. However, most of the things the vet does cause the dog great pain, and the dog has no idea that the pain is causing good, so he keeps trying to bite the vet for the favor. In this scenario, we're the dog, unable to see the big picture, and God is the vet, trying to help us, despite what we think of the help.

I don't buy this argument. The dog is trying to bite the vet because the vet can't communicate his good intentions to the dog. If the accounts of the Bible are true, God is quite capable of communicating with us. The whole "mysterious ways" argument is contrived and convenient.

MissileMan said:
I don't buy this argument. The dog is trying to bite the vet because the vet can't communicate his good intentions to the dog. If the accounts of the Bible are true, God is quite capable of communicating with us. The whole "mysterious ways" argument is contrived and convenient.

Your mind is closed to god. Satan has convinced many to replace the teachings of god with the reasoning of men. You're under Satanic control, that is why you cannot hear the message. If only you would be what you claim, open minded, you might be saved.

rtwngAvngr said:
Your mind is closed to god. Satan has convinced many to replace the teachings of god with the reasoning of men. You're under Satanic control, that is why you cannot hear the message. If only you would be what you claim, open minded, you might be saved.

Coincidently, I don't believe in Satan either. We've all got a date with oblivion. If your belief in an afterlife comforts you have at it. While contemplation of going back to the nothingness is a bit scary, death is inevitable.

MissileMan said:
Coincidently, I don't believe in Satan either. We've all got a date with oblivion. If your belief in an afterlife comforts you have at it. While contemplation of going back to the nothingness is a bit scary, death is inevitable.

How does eternal suffering sound?

And btw, The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.

rtwngAvngr said:
How does eternal suffering sound?

And btw, The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.

And one could argue that the greatest trick ever performed was when a few men convinced the world that a god exists. Ain't it a bitch that we have to die in order to find out which of us is right?

MissileMan said:
And one could argue that the greatest trick ever performed was when a few men convinced the world that a god exists. Ain't it a bitch that we have to die in order to find out which of us is right?

Not really. Those cut off from god suffer in this life, even if they are materially rewarded here and now.

MissileMan said:
Are you saying that God killed your friend to show the rest of you the error of your ways? Or are you saying that if you look hard enough that something good can be found about any bad thing that happens?

No, God didn't kill my friend, but yes, it was within his power to stop it. What killed my friend was a city that was so concerned with speed traps that it didn't have time to put up a speed recommendation for a notoriously dangerous curve. I have fishtailed on that same curve, but I drive a small car and he was in a pickup truck. However, God uses these things to accomplish good. A Biblical example is that God didn't send Joseph, the son of Jacob (also known as Israel) to Egypt in chains. His brothers did that, but God used Joseph to prevent a catastrophic famine.

Oh really? I have, in the past, been able to communicate simple things with my dog, but my dog was a simple creature and couldn't understand complex things. Even if my dog was suddenly able to understand every word I said, he still wouldn't comprehend even half of what I told him. God is at least as much higher than man as man is from a dog. Could it be hat while he might be able to explain, the explanation is so complex that we couldn't comprehend it?

child killed by a U.S. bomb go to heaven? Would he want to go to heaven, given that he believes in Allah?

Religious arguments of this kind tend to go nowhere. I think the Founding Fathers were incredibly wise to keep religion out of the state, and to let people alone to believe whatever they like. Wars have been fought, and people tortured and burned at the stake for the sake of petty quibbling about details of something that seems to be ungraspable.

Mariner.

-Cp said:
Of course I can....

God gave dominion of the Earth over to man (Read the first two Chapters of Genesis) - who then handed it over to Sin...

All the bad things that happen in this world are a direct result of Man's decision to hand things over to Sin...

Why is Sin doing these bad things?

Mariner said:
child killed by a U.S. bomb go to heaven? Would he want to go to heaven, given that he believes in Allah?

Religious arguments of this kind tend to go nowhere. I think the Founding Fathers were incredibly wise to keep religion out of the state, and to let people alone to believe whatever they like. Wars have been fought, and people tortured and burned at the stake for the sake of petty quibbling about details of something that seems to be ungraspable.

Mariner.

Of course not. That kid deserves to burn in hell for being born into a Muslim family.

Mariner said:
I think the Founding Fathers were incredibly wise to keep religion out of the state, and to let people alone to believe whatever they like.
Mariner.

Well, what they actually decided was to keep the state out of religion; there's a difference, and it's worth pointing out. Apart from that, I wholeheartedly agree with your statement. It's an incredibly wise principle.

It is a demonstrably Christian principle.

It is a unique principle in all the history of human governance.

Unique also - in all of history - is the level of freedom and opportunity this principle has afforded its people. Are you enjoying it?

musicman said:
Well, what they actually decided was to keep the state out of religion; there's a difference, and it's worth pointing out. Apart from that, I wholeheartedly agree with your statement. It's an incredibly wise principle.

It is a demonstrably Christian principle.

It is a unique principle in all the history of human governance.

Unique also - in all of history - is the level of freedom and opportunity this principle has afforded its people. Are you enjoying it?

I enjoy it. 1000 years ago I would have been burned at the stake for worshipping Keeb.

SpidermanTuba said:
I enjoy it. 1000 years ago I would have been burned at the stake for worshipping Keeb.

I didn't know you still worshipped Keeb. Who the hell is that anyway

musicman said:
Beam me up, Scotty - there's no intelligent life here...

I would venture to say that Spidy and myself would rank among the most intelligent posters on this forum. I do believe Spidy has his Masters in Physics if I'm not mistaken.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back