Questions for those who don't believe in God

Status
Not open for further replies.

-Cp

Sep 23, 2004
Earth
Why are we here? Seriously.. why? If you say because of Evolution - fine, but why? Why'd it happen?

If humans are an accident that happened in the Universe then where does your sense of self-preservation come from? Why do you care if the human race continues on after you're dead?

I mean, we're all just here by chance, right?

-Cp said:
Why are we here? Seriously.. why? If you say because of Evolution - fine, but why? Why'd it happen?

If humans are an accident that happened in the Universe then where does your sense of self-preservation come from? Why do you care if the human race continues on after you're dead?

Why we are here is a good question for believers AND atheists !

-Cp said:

I don't know. I'm neither a believer nor a disbeliever, I'm an Agnostic. The difference between religionists, agnostics and atheists is that religionists pretend (indeed, convince themselves) that they do know the answer, the atheists pretend there's not an answer to be known, and the agnostics believe that it is too big to be known.

But for those who absolutely must know the answer, it is 42.

Nightwish said:
I don't know. I'm neither a believer nor a disbeliever, I'm an Agnostic. The difference between religionists, agnostics and atheists is that religionists pretend (indeed, convince themselves) that they do know the answer, the atheists pretend there's not an answer to be known, and the agnostics believe that it is too big to be known.

But for those who absolutely must know the answer, it is 42.

So an agnostic does not know and does not care to even discuss the issue?

dilloduck said:

No, not really. I'm an agnostic. That means that I don't believe we can really know either way, that the question (the existence of a supreme being) is faith-based and logic doesn't apply.

you are here to have relationships with other people....some have a relationship with their god.....some accept this for what it is others don't....i prefer to have relationships with tollerent, accepting, patient, respectful people....

"Radiant is his light, yet invisible in the secret place of the heart, the Spirit is the supreme abode wherein dwells all that moves, and breathes and sees.
Our whole business therefore in this life, is to restore to health the eye of the heart whereby God may be seen."

"Seek not to understand that you may believe, but believe that you may understand."

St. Augustine

listopencil said:
No, not really. I'm an agnostic. That means that I don't believe we can really know either way, that the question (the existence of a supreme being) is faith-based and logic doesn't apply.

I think a lot of what Jesus said is quite logical and has been actually proven. It's the emphasis on worship, sanctity, and formality that automatically punches peoples' skeptic buttons. My call is that Jesus was a pretty regular guy who had some deep "advice" to pass on. He intended for us to act on it---not make such a big deal that he said it or worship his mother for giving birth to him.

dilloduck said:
I think a lot of what Jesus said is quite logical and has been actually proven. It's the emphasis on worship, sanctity, and formality that automatically punches peoples' skeptic buttons. My call is that Jesus was a pretty regular guy who had some deep "advice" to pass on. He intended for us to act on it---not make such a big deal that he said it or worship his mother for giving birth to him.

I've thought about that a lot myself. A lot of the quotes attributed to Jesus are humanitarian and full of love. Many of them are comforting and I feel a deep resonance of understanding when I contemplate them.

listopencil said:
I've thought about that a lot myself. A lot of the quotes attributed to Jesus are humanitarian and full of love. Many of them are comforting and I feel a deep resonance of understanding when I contemplate them.
And the logic behind his words are quite profound for those not blinded by their innate AND instilled fears.

dilloduck said:
Well by all means--spring an illogical one on me.

I had to go eat dinner. Here are a couple:

"I am the way, and the truth, and the life; no one comes to the Father, but by Me." - JOHN 14:16

"And whatever you ask in prayer, you will receive, if you have faith."- MATTHEW 21:22

Evolution accounts perfectly well for feelings of self-preservation, as well as for feelings of altruism.

Think about it: a creature with no desire to preserve itself wouldn't live very long, and would be unlikely to pass its genes on to children. End of passive creature.

Research into the mathematical/evolutionary origins of altruism is at the cutting edge of evolution research, with more examples being found in nature every day.

Mariner.

-Cp said:

Why? Who knows. Doesn't matter to me. I'm here now so I might as well make the best of it. I do enjoy contemplating my existence from time to time but I don't think it's reasonable to assume that we will know "why" anything ever existed at all. And I've held that belief when I was a theist. We'll never know. Maybe there isn't a why.

And to answer your question as why we care if the human race continues after we're dead...I'm not sure that applies to everyone on either spectrum. Personally I think that most people regardless of their belief of lack there of in a higher power intuitively care about other people. That's why we don't want our race to die off.

dilloduck said:
It's not that I don't care to discuss the issue, it's just that I don't think I can contribute much to the conversation, since I don't think any amount of discussion is going to get anyone any closer the answer to the question. I'm assuming, of course, that you're talking about higher purpose, the ultimate reason I'm here on earth, given life, thought and emotion, not lesser purposes like "Why am I in St. Louis?"

Nightwish said:
It's not that I don't care to discuss the issue, it's just that I don't think I can contribute much to the conversation, since I don't think any amount of discussion is going to get anyone any closer the answer to the question. I'm assuming, of course, that you're talking about higher purpose, the ultimate reason I'm here on earth, given life, thought and emotion, not lesser purposes like "Why am I in St. Louis?"

you are in st louis because you choose to be......the people near you are there because they choose to be.....from there....we shall se what you choose and what those you know choose in turn

manu1959 said:
you are in st louis because you choose to be......the people near you are there because they choose to be.....from there....we shall se what you choose and what those you know choose in turn
All very true. But cosmic questions like ultimate purpose can't be nearly so easily answered, unless you're an atheist who believes there is none.

Nightwish said:
All very true. But cosmic questions like ultimate purpose can't be nearly so easily answered, unless you're an atheist who believes there is none.

if you have no ultimate purpose why do you choose to continue this farce?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back