Questions for theists

JBeukema

Rookie
Apr 23, 2009
everywhere and nowhere
1) Do you believe based on any evidence, or is it 'faith'

2) If the former
---- How does the evidence support your religion
---- Why do you discount the evidence cited by other religions?
if the latter
---- why is 'faith' valid or worthy of respect?
---- why is it good to have 'faith' in your god(s) rather than someone elses?

3) Do you think the prescriptive ethics of your religion are necessary?
-if yes, then how do all other religions get by if they're wrong and don't have your god (for Abrahamists, this means they follow Satan, the god of this world- so how can they have morals?)
-if no, does your religion service any purpose at all in society (other than serving as a unifying factor for aiding the formation of social groups that can then fight eachother), or is it purely a personal coping mechanism?

1. faith

3. I don't know what other people in other religions think or do.

• Banned
---- why is it good or valid to have 'faith' in your god(s) rather than someone elses?

3. I don't know what other people in other religions think or do.[/quote]
Do you think the prescriptive ethics of your religion are necessary?

---- why is it good or valid to have 'faith' in your god(s) rather than someone elses?

3. I don't know what other people in other religions think or do.
Do you think the prescriptive ethics of your religion are necessary?[/QUOTE]

1. i don't know if faith is worthy of respect. I don't have faith in order to earn the respect of others.

3. somewhat, although someone can convert on their deathbed.

Calvin%20Klein%20OBSESSION%20for%20MEN.jpg

:cuckoo:

• Banned
1. i don't know if faith is worthy of respect. I don't have faith in order to earn the respect of others.

Why do you have faith in the particular deity in which you believe, if you are not guided by evidence? Is this not unreasonable and illogical? How do you know you are correct and follow the correct deity? How do you know,since you have stated that your decisions are not influenced by evidence, that you are not following a false religion and will not be punished by the 'the real deit(y/ies)?

somewhat, although someone can convert on their deathbed.
Allow me to clarify. Do you take prescriptive ethics from your faith/religion?
--If no, then where do draw your ethics and/or morality from? Does your faith serve any purpose beyond a personal coping mecahism? If yes, what role or purpose does it serve?
--If yes, then do you feel
----That the individual must also draw morality ad/or ethics from faith to have such a 'compass' or be a 'good person'?
--------If yes, must it be your faith?
--------If no, then what makes any such system valid, including yours? if yours any more or less valid than anothers?
------------If yes, then why?
------------if no, then did you not just contradict your assertion that it is needed, as it cannot be shown that any such system is more or less valid than any other system?
----that society as a whole must draw morality and/or ethics from such a system?
--------If no, then what makes any such system valid, including yours? if yours any more or less valid than another's?
------------if no, then did you not just contradict your assertion that it is needed, as it cannot be shown that any such system is more or less valid than any other system?

Why do you have faith in the particular deity in which you believe, if you are not guided by evidence? Is this not unreasonable and illogical? How do you know you are correct and follow the correct deity? How do you know,since you have stated that your decisions are not influenced by evidence, that you are not following a false religion and will not be punished by the 'the real deit(y/ies)?

somewhat, although someone can convert on their deathbed.
Allow me to clarify. Do you take prescriptive ethics from your faith/religion?
--If no, then where do draw your ethics and/or morality from? Does your faith serve any purpose beyond a personal coping mecahism? If yes, what role or purpose does it serve?
--If yes, then do you feel
----That the individual must also draw morality ad/or ethics from faith to have such a 'compass' or be a 'good person'?
--------If no, then what makes any such system valid, including yours? if yours any more or less valid than anothers?
----that society as a whole must draw morality and/or ethics from such a system?
--------If no, then what makes any such system valid, including yours? if yours any more or less valid than another's?
:eusa_eh:

Why do you people always run away when it's time to use your brain?

:eusa_eh:

Simply stating them to be does not change the fact that the questions in the OP are applicable only to theists. One could ask similar questions of atheists, but not the same questions.

In what way are they not applicable to atheists? Atheists either believe as a matter of evidence or not, thus questions one and two are directly applicable. Question 3 is a little fuzzier for atheists but not because they don't have a code of ethics.

In what way are they not applicable to atheists? Atheists either believe

Atheism, is, by definition, a matter of non-belief, not one of belief.

as a matter of evidence or not, thus questions one and two are directly applicable.

Evidence can only support a positive, not a negative. One cannot prove a negative save by demonstrating a mutually exclusive positive.

Question 3 is a little fuzzier for atheists but not because they don't have a code of ethics.

Atheists do not have a code of ethics by merit of being atheists. An atheist might have a code of ethics, but it is not derived from his atheism as a theists' morality and ethics are derived from their theism and faith.. Atheism is not an ideology and implies no shared beliefs, only a shared non-belief in deity.

In what way are they not applicable to atheists? Atheists either believe as a matter of evidence or not, thus questions one and two are directly applicable. Question 3 is a little fuzzier for atheists but not because they don't have a code of ethics.

You will find by perusing the previous idiotic threads this boozo has authoered that the only right answer he will consider is if you agree God does not exist and anyone that believes in God is stupid and a fool. ANY attempt to answer his questions any other way will result in him accusing YOU of being those things. No matter what you say it will be wrong and he will claim you have not answered his question.

You will find by perusing the previous idiotic threads this boozo has authoered that the only right answer he will consider is if you agree God does not exist and anyone that believes in God is stupid and a fool. ANY attempt to answer his questions any other way will result in him accusing YOU of being those things. No matter what you say it will be wrong and he will claim you have not answered his question.
Yeah, this is the same guy that derailed my VBS thread...I wanted some input from those who have already had or were going to have the VBS thing at their churches and their experiences with the program.

Oh well, typical of the fundy atheists (how ironic I'm using "fundy" here)...

So,. the only theist to respond runs away when asked to use his brain for ten seconds and the rest go on the attack. And you wonder why I have no respect for your kind. The reason you do not answer is because you can't.

1) Do you believe based on any evidence, or is it 'faith'

2) If the former
---- How does the evidence support your religion
---- Why do you discount the evidence cited by other religions?
if the latter
---- why is it good to have 'faith' in your god(s) rather than someone elses?

3) Do you think the prescriptive ethics of your religion are necessary?
-if yes, then how do all other religions get by if they're wrong and don't have your god (for Abrahamists, this means they follow Satan, the god of this world- so how can they have morals?)
-if no, does your religion service any purpose at all in society (other than serving as a unifying factor for aiding the formation of social groups that can then fight eachother), or is it purely a personal coping mechanism?

1) Ive already cited evidence numerous times. You pretend it's not evidence simply because you disagree with it.

2) I dont feel the need to ignore the evidence of other religions. Because I believe all religions have some of the truth of God. i believe God reveals according to the people's ability to handle what He is revealing. Faith in the God of Abraham Isaac and Jacob is important because He actually exist. He's Our Father. There are no other gods in this world to worship.

3) They, like everyone else, will have every opportunity to accept the Gospel in this life or the life to come. In fact, most will be redeemed through Temple work by proxy on behalf of the dead and through the millinium. God is just to all men and will judge us all by who we are, what we do and the desires and thoughts of our heart.

Forum List

Back