questions for anti-hunters?

Take your friends out gardening. Donate vegetables to a food bank. Enjoy nature without hunting. Exericse without hunting. Learn about vegetation. One can be self-sufficient without hunting.

Anyway, I have no qualms against hunting if done responsible. I am a fan of healthy dieting and exercise but I am no fan of PETA. In some ways, I think that PETA does more harm than good.

It's not your place to tell other people what to enjoy. Me? I see no enjoyment in hunting, but that doesn't mean my particular preferences should be forced on anyone else.

And, by the by, I was a vegetarian for 8 years. I missed hamburgers.

But again, people get to eat what they like. And if I want the odd hamburger with goat cheese at Pastis or greasy hamburger or turkey burger at Jackson Hole, then darn it, that's what I want! ;)

It's not your place to tell other people what to enjoy. Me? I see no enjoyment in hunting, but that doesn't mean my particular preferences should be forced on anyone else.

And, by the by, I was a vegetarian for 8 years. I missed hamburgers.

But again, people get to eat what they like. And if I want the odd hamburger with goat cheese at Pastis or greasy hamburger or turkey burger at Jackson Hole, then darn it, that's what I want! ;)

No problem. I'm just giving my opinion. I wouldn't outlaw hunting or outlaw the eating of meat. It is your life. I even think that hunting should allowed within reason (Example: animal population control). I simply choose to not hunt and I choose for myself to avoid consuming meat to a strong degree.

No problem. I'm just giving my opinion. I wouldn't outlaw hunting or outlaw the eating of meat. It is your life. I even think that hunting should allowed within reason (Example: animal population control). I simply choose to not hunt and I for myself to avoid consuming meat to a strong degree.

I eat very little red meat. But that's *my* choice. And like most else, I don't think I get to impose it on others. So we're not too far off.

I ate a giant bloody-rare slab of beef last night and plan on doing so again tonight.

Like I said, if not eating meat is your thing then enjoy that shit. The general pompous attitudes of vegans remind me of pink lunger non smokers who think they know what's best for everyone else and try to dictate acceptable liberty..

Hunting has many, many positive aspects to it.

that's pretty much the bottom line.

I ate a giant bloody-rare slab of beef last night and plan on doing so again tonight.

Like I said, if not eating meat is your thing then enjoy that shit. The general pompous attitudes of vegans remind me of pink lunger non smokers who think they know what's best for everyone else and try to dictate acceptable liberty..

Hunting has many, many positive aspects to it.

that's pretty much the bottom line.

I’ll help you notify your cardiologist. :D

It's cool.. none of us will live forever anyway...

Italian cyclist Vito Taccone dies of heart attack at age 67
http://sports.aol.com/story/_a/italian-cyclist-vito-taccone-dies-of/n20071015065809990008

Former Olympic sprinter Trenton Jackson dies after heart attack (65)

http://obits.eons.com/national/feature/national_sports/15396

Spanish soccer midfielder dies after heart attack (22)
http://en.beijing2008.cn/news/sports/headlines/football/n214143083.shtml

Willie Davenport dies of heart attack (59)
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/athletics/2053100.stm

PowerBar Founder Dies of Heart Attack (51)
http://www.outsidethebeltway.com/archives/2004/03/powerbar_founder_dies_of_heart_attack/

I'll take my death with a life of Wine, Red Meat and a side of broccoli and spinach!

It's cool.. none of us will live forever anyway...

Italian cyclist Vito Taccone dies of heart attack at age 67
http://sports.aol.com/story/_a/italian-cyclist-vito-taccone-dies-of/n20071015065809990008

Former Olympic sprinter Trenton Jackson dies after heart attack (65)

http://obits.eons.com/national/feature/national_sports/15396

Spanish soccer midfielder dies after heart attack (22)
http://en.beijing2008.cn/news/sports/headlines/football/n214143083.shtml

Willie Davenport dies of heart attack (59)
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/athletics/2053100.stm

PowerBar Founder Dies of Heart Attack (51)
http://www.outsidethebeltway.com/archives/2004/03/powerbar_founder_dies_of_heart_attack/

I'll take my death with a life of Wine, Red Meat and a side of broccoli and spinach!

There are exceptions to the “rule” but statistically, vegans live healthier than do carnivores. I think that they live longer too. Yet, like my dad once said, “Someone lived to be 90. Unfortunately, he jogged away 60 of those years.” Live is temporary. So, in that sense, I guess that you should do what you want with it.

indeed, some smokers reach 90 years too.... I understand the exceptions...

I'm just not interested in wasting 40 years for the sake of an additional 5 when i'll be too old to do anything anyway. Life is not a contest. If vegans want to tack on 10 more years to their nursing home experience then so be it. If a vegan has an attitude about what people eat then they should not wonder why people point and laugh at the vegan jogger who dies of a heart attack in their 50s.

Why is it you believe I or other hunters get a thrill out killing? I don't get a 'charge' out of watching an animal die either. Neither do most othe hunters. There is a certain sense of accomplishment, yes, but not some elation at watching an animal's brief pain.

Assuming no hunter's what is your belief as to how 'Bambi's parents' would live out their lives?

No kidding, I'm still getting over the trauma induced as a child when I saw Bambi's mother killed by the hunters, and that was supposed to be a kid's cartoon??

But on animals in the wild. Tennyson said it, "nature red in tooth and claw".

Yes, there are a great many things that make hunting worth supporting.
Take your kid out hunting. Donate your kill to a food bank. Enjoy nature. Exercise. Learn about both the animal being hutned and the land hunted on. Be self-sufficient.

no offense.. but fuck vegetarianism. I can't stand the peta crowd. I wouldn't be in a sealed space with another vegetarian after dinner considering the gas produced by a self righteous, pompous, fart factory. I'm reminded of Phillip K Dick's story "The Chromium Fence" when hearing about non-smoker and vegetarian suggestions.

The Chromium Fence by PKD
http://www.freerepublic.com/forum/a39bc228a06d8.htm

I really like Philip K. Dick but I ain't going to Freeperville to read him :D

I don't hunt, and I don't personally care for guns.

That said, if you want to hunt, have at it. Just use what you kill, and don't kill just for the sake of gaining a trophy. That bear head on the wall you just had to have, while leaving the meat to rot in the woods because you don't like the meat isn't really going to add to your "cool" factor. Neither is that bearskin rug.

I really like Philip K. Dick but I ain't going to Freeperville to read him :D

it was the only source I could find online that had the story..

if you get the chance check it out..

I have spent time in Alaska and hunting was a part of life there. We (the civilians) went hunting for meat as the price of everything in Alaska was so expensive compared to the states. There's nothing wrong with hunting for food or to thin out the stock. Here in Philly, believe it or not, the deer are all over the place. Some mornings they spook me standing in some dark corner as I try to get in some exercise. Occasionally some bow hunter will take one down. Biggest problem today is man is messing up the earth with his large houses and acre plots and extended outdoor malls. Our farms in Bucks and Montgomery and much of New Jersey are being developed so we can ruin the open fields and forests in the name of freedom or something like that.

Call it what you like. I do not think that I would get a certain sense of accomplishment by using a high powered rifle to shoot an unarmed animal.

But again you miss the point and are under some faulty assumptions. First and foremost, as I stated earlier. That it is some easy thing to go out and shoot a deer.

The whole unarmed animal bull shit, is just that. News flash. Humans are part of the food chain like everything else. Sharks kill more seals than seals kill sharks because sharks are better adapted to hunting seals than the other way around. Same with deer and people.

Your pen argument is truly stupid as well. Your makeing this 'poor animal' excuse yet would rather have some one go a few rounds in a pen causing the animal more stress and discomfort then if I simply shoot it. While there is a level of sport and challenge to hunting it isn't about makeing it as difficult as possible to be fair to the animal. What is fair to the animal is if your plan is to kill it for food, kill as humanely and effectively as possible. Going a few rounds in pen doesn't accomplish that. Sorry still baffled by the stupidity of that argument.

You don't see any sense of accomplishment because you've never done it. Despite never doing it, for whatever reason you think it's easy.

I don't hunt, and I don't personally care for guns.

That said, if you want to hunt, have at it. Just use what you kill, and don't kill just for the sake of gaining a trophy. That bear head on the wall you just had to have, while leaving the meat to rot in the woods because you don't like the meat isn't really going to add to your "cool" factor. Neither is that bearskin rug.

Point of fact:

Not meat is lost if you happen to want the animal you killed mounted. Similar to MM this shows a bit of ignorance as far as the topic is concerned.

I'm not sure what none hunters think that head on the wall is made of so here's the quick. I'll use the deer I'm going to have mounted as the example.

After field dressed, the deer is skinned starting behind teh front legs all the way up and of the snout. That whole part of the hide is completely removed and is called the cape. If it's a buck the hornes are sawn off to go with the cape. What is left is a completely skinned deer, all meat still intact for butchering.

The cape is frozen and along with the horns are taken to a taxadermist who buys essentially a life size styro foam replica of a deer from the shoulder up. The cape you skinned off is fitted over that and the horns affixed it and some fake eys. That is what you are seeing wheb you seeing when you see a deer head or any other type of animal on the wall for that matter. Under that fur is foam, nothing else. No bone or brain or eyes or anything.

Point of fact:

Not meat is lost if you happen to want the animal you killed mounted. Similar to MM this shows a bit of ignorance as far as the topic is concerned.

I'm not sure what none hunters think that head on the wall is made of so here's the quick. I'll use the deer I'm going to have mounted as the example.

After field dressed, the deer is skinned starting behind teh front legs all the way up and of the snout. That whole part of the hide is completely removed and is called the cape. If it's a buck the hornes are sawn off to go with the cape. What is left is a completely skinned deer, all meat still intact for butchering.

The cape is frozen and along with the horns are taken to a taxadermist who buys essentially a life size styro foam replica of a deer from the shoulder up. The cape you skinned off is fitted over that and the horns affixed it and some fake eys. That is what you are seeing wheb you seeing when you see a deer head or any other type of animal on the wall for that matter. Under that fur is foam, nothing else. No bone or brain or eyes or anything.

Where are you getting the assumption that I'm ignorant, and how dare you compare me to MM? I merely said I don't think one should hunt if they're *just* after the head to hang on the wall, or a hide to throw in front of the fireplace.

If you're going to kill it, eat it, or donate it in *addition* to getting your damned trophy.

Where are you getting the assumption that I'm ignorant, and how dare you compare me to MM? I merely said I don't think one should hunt if they're *just* after the head to hang on the wall, or a hide to throw in front of the fireplace.

If you're going to kill it, eat it, or donate it in *addition* to getting your damned trophy.

Because haveing no experience with or haveing little information about something is the definition of ignorance.

Originally posted by Bern80
Here are my questions the some of them assume you aren't a vegetarian

Why do you prefer not knowing where your meat comes from?

Why are you not oppossed to killing poor defensless cows or other store bought/fast food bought meat?

Why are you not also oppossed to wolves killling deer for food? Their killing methods are far crueler than a humans.

You asked good questions, Bern, but I’m afraid you are missing the point.

Most of the opposition to hunting is not about reasoned answers to good questions, rational arguments, formal logic, syllogisms etc...

It’s about the way most people feel.

As a general rule, rational living beings don’t like to see the termination of life.

Just look how many people gave this type of answer:

“I don’t like hunting (the way they feel), but it should not be outlawed because etc, etc ... (the way they think).

Even hunters have this inner conflict. Many write books about hunting with dozens of good arguments, but still feel bad everytime they kill an animal.

Not always the way you think is in line with the way you feel.

But again you miss the point and are under some faulty assumptions. First and foremost, as I stated earlier. That it is some easy thing to go out and shoot a deer.

The whole unarmed animal bull shit, is just that. News flash. Humans are part of the food chain like everything else. Sharks kill more seals than seals kill sharks because sharks are better adapted to hunting seals than the other way around. Same with deer and people.

Your pen argument is truly stupid as well. Your makeing this 'poor animal' excuse yet would rather have some one go a few rounds in a pen causing the animal more stress and discomfort then if I simply shoot it. While there is a level of sport and challenge to hunting it isn't about makeing it as difficult as possible to be fair to the animal. What is fair to the animal is if your plan is to kill it for food, kill as humanely and effectively as possible. Going a few rounds in pen doesn't accomplish that. Sorry still baffled by the stupidity of that argument.

You don't see any sense of accomplishment because you've never done it. Despite never doing it, for whatever reason you think it's easy.

when have I EVER said I thought it was easy?

I'll wait.

Because haveing no experience with or haveing little information about something is the definition of ignorance.

Given I come from a family of hunters, male and female alike, I don't think I'm all that ignorant.

Disagreeing with people who kill for the sheer rush of firing a gun, while having no intention of taking responsibility for their kill, and instead just leaving it lay there while they look for a new target does not suggest ignorance.

Forum List

Back